• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • baune

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    North side of Indy
    I'm finally going to get into reloading my own ammo, mainly .223 and 9mm. I'm going to start out just buying the brass, powder, primers, bullets seperately and then just keeping the brass to polish/trim later in the future. But just getting started with that stuff I can easily make 1,000 rounds a hell of a lot cheaper than buying them.
    So here is what i'm thinking about getting. A Lee Pro 1000 progressive press with everything included for .223 for $160. That doesn't sound like too bad of deal considering I just want to get something up and running to start pumping out my own cheap ammo. In the future I can get the 9mm dies for it. Anyone have experience with this press or any suggestions? From what i've come across so far, this is the most economical way to get started.

briand212

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2009
    Putnam County IN
    I know a few that love thier pro1000, personaly I love my lee turret press
    I have mine setup with the auto disk powder system
    if you are just starting I would suggest you buy the kit that comes with the scale and other goodies.. that is how I started and I dont regret it a bit..

bobn911

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Edwardsburg, MI
    If you haven't already bought, barrowed, or stolen a loading manual, PLEASE do so in a hurry. Lyman has a very good one for about $20.00.
    Read the first couple of chapters, then re-read them again. Then move on the loading tables. Be safe and have fun. Later, Bob

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    I'm going to start out just buying the brass

Are you buying 9x19 brass?

I have never had any problem using range pick-up brass for pistol calibers. Especially for common calibers like 9mm, 40SW, an 45 ACP, there is just too much good brass laying around for free to go out and pay for it. JMHO.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    come to my free reloading class, it will be priceless and give you some confidence when starting out.... check the INGO events section to sign up...

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    My suggestions:

Take the class offered by IndyGunWorks

Start buying the books, gathering info and talking with fellow reloaders before making any purchases.

Decide what equipment will fit your needs now.... and even later on as you add calibers. And trust me, you will add more calibers.

Then start buying powder, primers and bullets.

Pickup range brass, buy brass when offered locally and cheaper than new.

When you start reloading, take your time, check everything twice and do it right the first time.

Years ago we reloaded .44 and .357 mag, .22 KHornet, .223, .308 and .30-06..... we then added 7mm rem mag, .270 Win, 9mm, 8mm mauser and a few others (deer hunting in Michigan).

Once you start, you cant stop. Which reminds me.... I have to go out and shut off the tumbler, the .223 brass should be done now its been about 3 hours!!!

Good luck and keep us posted....

baune

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    North side of Indy
    Thanks for all the info guys. I did see the post about the reloading event going on and I would love to go, but unfortunately I have to work then. I've done some research, bought a reloading book, and I've been collecting all my old brass since day 1 of shooting because I knew it would eventually come to this. But to start out producing my own ammo for cheap, I can buy the ready to go brass, powder, bullets, etc, for 50% less than buying 1,000 straight up, and in the future I will get the case trimmer and tumbler, to start really reloading on my own.
    But to start off the Lee progressive reloader in .223 (which comes with the dies) for $160 sounds like the best deal.

Top Bottom