This explains it all.
    2tch9l.jpg

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Sorry to be gone so long, long church day.

Wow, a lot has transpired since I was here last. Sorry I tossed something in to cause issue without being here to respond.

Where to start? Well, no I am not a liberal. I know, big surprise. My mother was a liberal and my father a conservative. Yep, one word to describe a childhood like that: CONFUSED!

I guess this is how I can desire to discuss topics and yet hate heated conflict. Discussion = good, argue = bad. How else will we learn to appreciate "other" points of view? To fight or entice others to fight is just a way to remove yourselves from the interaction. But it also helps if you truly desire to know why the other person thinks the way they do. I can't remember the last time someone threw up their hands and said, "that's it, you convinced me!" So, I am not looking for "proselytes" for myself, just teachers.

It took a while to pick through the posts. The largest fracture I think I see is culture v race. While they are different, they are symbiotic and one is difficult to address without the other IMO. To overly identify with either is just as awkward as trying to deny them. And to what purpose?

We are all human which means we are all going to mess up. Where notable differences come in to view (this is talking humans now, not race) is what we do when we find out we have failed, in anything.

One group will say, "oh no, there is no changing the past", "I am lost", I'll just sit here and die.

The second group will ask, "where did I go wrong?" and mentally go back and try to solve the mistake as to avoid it again in the future.

While the first type tend to blame others as to avoid any shame as in fact "being human", the second has to be willing to risk and accept the possibility of failure (and the resultant shame) to eventually improve.
    Those among us who identify as being Christian can recall scripture talking about "the refining fire" and being "purified like gold". The process is to add enough heat for the impurities to come to the top and the refiner removes the dross leaving only the purified gold. They say the one who is doing this knows he is done when he can "see himself in his work..."

Anyway, time does go on for both groups. Where will the future find any of us?

Is the inevitable show of our human traits a "set back" or an "end game".

I see a lot of "intellectual competition" going on here but for the life of me I don't know who is the appointed score keeper and what is the prize?

When I come off as "raw" it is usually to try and entice someone who has seldom or never participated to engage and share. This is a community. When I look and see 20-30 members monitoring a site and only 2-3 posting it takes on the feel of professional wrestling. I both want and hope for something more real.

I joke around, my whole family does, my brother is really good at it, I am not. It must be a personality flaw. I have more flaws and issues than everyone here put together. But my desire is to move forward.

I intended nothing malicious in my post. It was, in my life experience, what I have seen occur in the past. It in no way was to infer it is the only possible way it could have been perceived nor that it is the singular "right" way.

So, Kut and anyone out there who have seen the same, different or any tangent of the above from my post, I would like to hear it. Thanks in advance. I continue to learn from you all.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Sorry to be gone so long, long church day.

Wow, a lot has transpired since I was here last. Sorry I tossed something in to cause issue without being here to respond.

Where to start? Well, no I am not a liberal. I know, big surprise. My mother was a liberal and my father a conservative. Yep, one word to describe a childhood like that: CONFUSED!

I guess this is how I can desire to discuss topics and yet hate heated conflict. Discussion = good, argue = bad. How else will we learn to appreciate "other" points of view? To fight or entice others to fight is just a way to remove yourselves from the interaction. But it also helps if you truly desire to know why the other person thinks the way they do. I can't remember the last time someone threw up their hands and said, "that's it, you convinced me!" So, I am not looking for "proselytes" for myself, just teachers.

It took a while to pick through the posts. The largest fracture I think I see is culture v race. While they are different, they are symbiotic and one is difficult to address without the other IMO. To overly identify with either is just as awkward as trying to deny them. And to what purpose?

We are all human which means we are all going to mess up. Where notable differences come in to view (this is talking humans now, not race) is what we do when we find out we have failed, in anything.

One group will say, "oh no, there is no changing the past", "I am lost", I'll just sit here and die.

The second group will ask, "where did I go wrong?" and mentally go back and try to solve the mistake as to avoid it again in the future.

While the first type tend to blame others as to avoid any shame as in fact "being human", the second has to be willing to risk and accept the possibility of failure (and the resultant shame) to eventually improve.
    Those among us who identify as being Christian can recall scripture talking about "the refining fire" and being "purified like gold". The process is to add enough heat for the impurities to come to the top and the refiner removes the dross leaving only the purified gold. They say the one who is doing this knows he is done when he can "see himself in his work..."

Anyway, time does go on for both groups. Where will the future find any of us?

Is the inevitable show of our human traits a "set back" or an "end game".

I see a lot of "intellectual competition" going on here but for the life of me I don't know who is the appointed score keeper and what is the prize?

[To paraphrase a quote about another subject "The competition is so fierce only because the rewards are so small" :) ]

When I come off as "raw" it is usually to try and entice someone who has seldom or never participated to engage and share. This is a community. When I look and see 20-30 members monitoring a site and only 2-3 posting it takes on the feel of professional wrestling. I both want and hope for something more real.

I joke around, my whole family does, my brother is really good at it, I am not. It must be a personality flaw. I have more flaws and issues than everyone here put together. But my desire is to move forward.

I intended nothing malicious in my post. It was, in my life experience, what I have seen occur in the past. It in no way was to infer it is the only possible way it could have been perceived nor that it is the singular "right" way.

So, Kut and anyone out there who have seen the same, different or any tangent of the above from my post, I would like to hear it. Thanks in advance. I continue to learn from you all.

Mongo, I thought about this for a while and the only way I can see to completely separate culture from race is if the two groups in question (using K14's unfettered immigration example) are already racially similar. The example that comes to mind being Tibet, Nepal and China. The peoples of all three countries (yes, I know Tibet isn't really a country anymore but to me it still lives in memory as such) are racially similar (though the Tibetans and the Nepalese are high altitude adapted) by culturally distinct. So while an unrestricted influx of Chinese would not significantly affect the racial make-up of the populations (ignoring the genetic adaptations to high altitude) it would and does severely affect the cultures of the two countries, in the case of Tibet and Nepal for the worse

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I am with you there. Historically the Mayan race could be used as an example. The remnant of the race in the absents of the culture. For the better or worse could be argued.

To come to a country and insist on it being "home 2.0" would in itself set people on edge, as did the European immigration in it's time. Change is painful and slow, but tends to be more painful for the quickest among us, which is a shame.

P.S. I love your paraphrase...

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Hey Bug, just thought of the scene from Mel Brook's Blazing Saddles. What a PC mine field this one is!

"OK, we'll take the ________'s and the _______'s, but we won't take the Irish!"

That in itself should prove how sick I really am, I don't even know how it got there...

Do you ever wonder what it is about us that makes us that way? Two families come from the same country relocating to the same new country and nine time out of ten the first one's there will be the most resistant to the new comers than the indigenous population.

Spent most of my youth in Florida, a transient society, and the most similar family in the neighborhood is usually the least accepting...

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I've spent quite a bit of time in southern California over the years, same thing. It feels like damn near everybody is from somewhere else and they don't really have a culture, just an attitude

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    What the **** is race. Which one of you is a member of a race beside the human race.

Liberals Say they are color blind, but bring up race at every turn. It is despicable.

What matters is Borders, culture and language.

France, snails and frogs, French.

England, fish and chips, English.

China, egg foo young, Chinese.

America, Anything from steaks to any foreign food you care to eat, English.

Race is a social construct created to define distinctions between people with heritage which makes them look different. I would say the modern definition of race should be more synonymous with heritage or ancestry.

Liberals say they are color blind. Progressives disagree and say that saying you're color blind is a micro-aggression, which is an unconscious form of racism.

If you conflate liberals with progressives you'll think their words are inconsistent.

What matters is what is necessary for people to coexist peacefully. Live and let live would help a lot with that.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I always get a refund (I know, I know - hush. :):), but with the doubling of the standard deduction to $12K, all my itemizing was for naught, and I'm getting about $1200 less back than last year. Not sure how that works, but it is what it is I guess. Maybe it's because I saw more money in my checks all year (without changing my exemption).

Whoa. If I'm going to have a net tax return less than last year, especially if it's to the tune of $1200, that's going to be a nasty check I'll have to write.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Because I do not think any answer would suffice, when the asker has false motives.

The answer has exactly two possibilities. Yes. No. One of those answers have to suffice because they're the only choices, regardless of the motives for the question. It seems there's more around this part of the conversation than meets the eye. And I don't care to know that that is.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    The answer has exactly two possibilities. Yes. No. One of those answers have to suffice because they're the only choices, regardless of the motives for the question. It seems there's more around this part of the conversation than meets the eye. And I don't care to know that that is.

Ditto

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Was just thinking about the comments about racial preservation. I’m not sure what is meant. If it’s in the same context as cultural preservation, then what you’re talking about is no interracial marriages. The culteral context was about blending cultures such that the cultural differences are absorbed by society as the new people assimilate generationally.

So cultural segregation, which appears is what the progressives want (it’s what the concept of “cumtural appropriation” is designed to do), is the way to stop blending of cultures.

There’s only one way you intentionally preserve races. You prohibit interracial ****ing. I suppose the idea revolves around racial purity. And that’s ****ing racist. So let’s just knock that **** off from the gate.

If an interracial couple wants to ****. Let em ****. Ain’t your business. But It’s fine and even advantageous for their future you encourage marriage before they **** and have kids.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    So tell me jamil... stop beating around the bush and tell us what you really think?

I have been trying to push the star but it won't let me. You are, if nothing else, consistent. Unique is the word I will use to describe you.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Mongo, I thought about this for a while and the only way I can see to completely separate culture from race is if the two groups in question (using K14's unfettered immigration example) are already racially similar. The example that comes to mind being Tibet, Nepal and China. The peoples of all three countries (yes, I know Tibet isn't really a country anymore but to me it still lives in memory as such) are racially similar (though the Tibetans and the Nepalese are high altitude adapted) by culturally distinct. So while an unrestricted influx of Chinese would not significantly affect the racial make-up of the populations (ignoring the genetic adaptations to high altitude) it would and does severely affect the cultures of the two countries, in the case of Tibet and Nepal for the worse

I think we can get down to a little grittier nit than that. Cultural similarity is due to heritage. Passing down culture from generation to generation. Culture can certainly be separated from race if I understand what you mean by "separated", but race separated from culture is more nuanced.

Using American Black culture, for example, because it's a good illustration, it's a lot different from Black people from Africa today, and different from European Blacks, and so on. Since race is essentially a common ancient heritage, the culture strongly tends to follow the heritage. Separated by geography it's self evident that the different experiences will cause people of the same race to evolve their cultures to be different from each other.

But to the point, even though cultures can be diverse among races, races aren't all that diverse from the cultural heritages for obvious reasons. In other words, You can often identify the race by paying attention to culture. You can't necessarily identify the culture by the race though. You see a black person in a large international airport. What's their culture? Hard to say if the clothes don't give it away. They could be from anywhere. But, if you recognize the cultural behavior, you can usually identify the race without seeing the person.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    So tell me jamil... stop beating around the bush and tell us what you really think?

I have been trying to push the star but it won't let me. You are, if nothing else, consistent. Unique is the word I will use to describe you.

I think I like posts with lots of ****ing asterisks, because it looks cool as as ****.

Top Bottom