STATE *only* laws regarding shooting and discharge of firearms. Where are they?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Why is it so hard to find the laws regarding discharging of a firearm at the state level? I know there aren't many but there has be a few. An hour of googling this AM has turned up everything you can imagine from various counties and DNR properties but nothing for the state.

Searching for discharge or discharging turns up pages of results on discharging duties or waste water, virtually everything in title 35 has been repealed...

Call me crazy but I assumed Indiana had a few state laws in regards to reckless discharge and containing fired projectiles within the boundaries of the property they were fired in.

I really need a list of all the State laws that would pertain to reckless use / discharge of a firearm and whatever laws exist about containing rounds within a property within the next 6 hours.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Oy vey. In 6 hours, I'm not sure it can be completely comprehensive. Ciyou's book would help (not sure if its been updated in a couple years), but I'm not at the office.

The primary criminal law in play is basically "criminal recklessness" (which isn't specific to guns, but probably most often applied to what you describe).

The "containing rounds within a property" feels like it'll be more a product of local zoning.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Oy vey. In 6 hours, I'm not sure it can be completely comprehensive. Ciyou's book would help (not sure if its been updated in a couple years), but I'm not at the office.

The primary criminal law in play is basically "criminal recklessness" (which isn't specific to guns, but probably most often applied to what you describe).

The "containing rounds within a property" feels like it'll be more a product of local zoning.

IC 35-42-2-2 covers criminal recklessness, including with a deadly weapon. Everything from class b Misdemeanor to lvl 5 or 6 felony depending on circumstances, such as a class 5 felony into an occupied dwelling.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Call me crazy but I assumed Indiana had a few state laws in regards to reckless discharge and containing fired projectiles within the boundaries of the property they were fired in.

The stuff in 35?

Crim Reck, Crim Reck with a Deadly Weapon, Pointing a Firearm, Intimidation, Intimation with Dead Weap, Battery with Dead Weap, Reckless Homicide, Attempted Murder, Murder.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

Yeah, not certain where this "containing round within a property" comes from. Maybe a civil CoA case? Not certain.

Can be crim reck if rounds landing in populated area but you gotta convince the INGOtarians that your property can be used as a weapon.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Yeah, not certain where this "containing round within a property" comes from. Maybe a civil CoA case? Not certain.

Can be crim reck if rounds landing in populated area but you gotta convince the INGOtarians that your property can be used as a weapon.

Hey, I've been to southern Indiana. Some property SHOULD be considered an offensive weapon.

Top Bottom