• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Saddle lake, German Ridge, Indian/Celina lake, Tipsaw Lake all in Perry County.

You get to explore the southern culture complete with accents. I don’t think you can find an area without trees anywhere.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand

You get to explore the southern culture complete with accents. I don’t think you can find an area without trees anywhere.
    No those places are horrible, stay away at all costs, unless I'm not trying to get a spot at one of them that weekend, then they are some of the best camping in Southern Indiana.

tjh88

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 4, 2013
    Vallonia
    I second Starve Hallow as well. Good fishing.

Be careful when you book a site. Starve H. gets busy with the campers around holidays and October is a madhouse of people
    I live about 2 miles as a crow flies from Starve. We go there often. Nice park and some hiking also. We seem to travel to Patoka with the pontoon boat, Clifty Falls for some good hiking and Spring Mill. We've stated traveling to a few sites in TN about once a year. In general, as long as you have good cooking, friends and beer you can't go wrong.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C

No those places are horrible, stay away at all costs, unless I'm not trying to get a spot at one of them that weekend, then they are some of the best camping in Southern Indiana.
    Oh yes, stay away! There's ticks out the ying-yang, skeeters the size of medium birds, rattle headed copper mocassins, and you WILL hear banjos at night. Not to mention the Bigfoots.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    FINALLY getting the family into camping. Kids are getting their feet wet by sleeping in the back yard first for a couple nights. Next step is a state park. Eventually I hope to get them out primitive dispersed camping in HNF, around Lake Monroe, etc. Because other than no pit toilet or water source, that is exactly what she wants in a campsite. Baby steps I guess.

Mrs. Monkey doesnt want an open prairie style like Lieber or Prophetstown with a smattering of trees so that you have to bring your own shade. She wants something more wooded, possibly with some trees between campsites. She was spoiled by a campground where each campsite was bush hogged out of a wooded lot and you had 3-6' of underbrush and mature trees between campsites. This is one of them. Literally.
    east-park-campground.jpg

Any suggestions for shaded state park tent campgrounds in central or southern IN?
    You had to throw in the in Indiana thing, none the less camping a great family fun.

The key is to find one with free WiFi, bring along the inflatable projection screen, lap top to check your work email, etc.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Any dead end road into the HNF at this time of year, summer is between turkey/mushroom and ginseng/deer seasons.

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    Hardin Ridge is excellent and almost completely wooded. Also has a swimming beach for Monroe and I believe a small boat launch.

you can check out the map of campsites and if you turn on the satellite layer you’ll see how they’re spaced and how wooded it is.

I will second this one. If I recall correctly, this is a Federally managed property.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Not sure where you ended up going, but we did Yellowwood 3 times this year and nearly all the sites are wooded with some screening trees and brush between you and the next site.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Where did we end up? Nowhere.

Nobody else really wants to camp so if I camp its going to be solo. Ive accepted the result as camping was not really a serious goal for me personally. It was fun, but not something I just HAVE to do. Oh well.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Yellow wood state forest. Its been years but we always had good spots there.
    ^^^This^^^

Good sites and fairly quiet. My wife has stayed there a few times. Nice hiking trails nearby.

There are a few backcountry sites on the Tecumseh Trail / Low Gap that you can park fairly close to and hike in.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Where did we end up? Nowhere.

Nobody else really wants to camp so if I camp its going to be solo. Ive accepted the result as camping was not really a serious goal for me personally. It was fun, but not something I just HAVE to do. Oh well.
    Winter camping is fun, too.

I will still meet you out somewhere. What does your January look like?

Sitcomdad83

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 19, 2021
    Indiana
    I've not went camping with the family ever but I'd like a very well wooded spot.
    Went camping alot growing up and neversaw the perfect spot I'd want

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    Rattlesnake campground is primative camping with a one holer and no water or elec. Drive through creeks to get there. $17 in an envelope dropped in the lock-box. Mayor drives through after dark and checks the envelopes.

Top Bottom