• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Being one of the resident police haters, it doesn't surprise me that you would want the troopers carrying faulty pistols.:rolleyes:

That's a pretty big leap.

I believe the point was that the 3rd generation G17s worked fine, so we questioned the expenditure to change to something else. I don't believe anyone is begrudging that people hired to serve in law enforcement functional gear.

NDhunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    North Central IN
    That's a pretty big leap.

I believe the point was that the 3rd generation G17s worked fine, so we questioned the expenditure to change to something else. I don't believe anyone is begrudging that people hired to serve in law enforcement functional gear.

Your idea would work, IF third generation G17's were still available. When you buy guns 90 or 100 guns at a time, you usually have to buy current models.

ISP could not buy any more Gen 3 Glock 17's.

ISP did not want to go with Gen 4 Glock 17's for new purchases and have two different models and nomenclatures floating around.

Therefore, ISP adopted the Gen 4 Glock 21 for everyone.

The Gen 4 Glock 21 had issues with reliability, beyond just magazines failing to fall free. Glock did not fix these issues.

The FNX .45 was adopted after a new round of testing under a new Superintendent.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Your idea would work, IF third generation G17's were still available. When you buy guns 90 or 100 guns at a time, you usually have to buy current models.

ISP could not buy any more Gen 3 Glock 17's.

ISP did not want to go with Gen 4 Glock 17's for new purchases and have two different models and nomenclatures floating around.

Therefore, ISP adopted the Gen 4 Glock 21 for everyone.

The Gen 4 Glock 21 had issues with reliability, beyond just magazines failing to fall free. Glock did not fix these issues.

The FNX .45 was adopted after a new round of testing under a new Superintendent.

Not that ingrained in the Glocks (other than I heard about the divore drama) so educate me if I am off here but I was under the impression the Gen 3 Glocks are and will still be availible and wether you get a Gen 3 or 4 it's just another option. Or am I wrong and is Glock phasing them out?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Not that ingrained in the Glocks (other than I heard about the divore drama) so educate me if I am off here but I was under the impression the Gen 3 Glocks are and will still be availible and wether you get a Gen 3 or 4 it's just another option. Or am I wrong and is Glock phasing them out?

This is what I thought too. That's why I asked in an earlier message if the gen 3 guns are no longer available.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Being one of the resident police haters, it doesn't surprise me that you would want the troopers carrying faulty pistols.:rolleyes:

Wow, I don't know what to say :dunno: I bet all my LEO friends would disagree with that. I was in an Army CID unit myself for quite a while I must have hated myself then? There's a difference between being a police hater and holding those in LE to a very high standard of which I do. If i'm a police hater so be it I guess it's on par with being one of the resident police apologists.

NDhunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    North Central IN
    I've never seen a department have so much trouble from 2 different generations and 3 different calibers. Wow.

And one company. There is a common denominator there.

Look at what Glock's share of the LE market has done in the past 10 years. They practically owned it 10 years ago. They still do extremely well, but they have lost a ton of LE business, for whatever reason that may be.

I'm not a Glock fanboy or hater, but there are probably reasons so many departments are switching to X, Y, or Z brand.

CQB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 4, 2012
    Central North Forty
    I own two of them.

Edit: are you talking about the G model Berettas or the decocker on the FN?

The FNX being converted to a decocker only. Not arguing with you, I just don't understand what the point of doing that would be, let alone the added cost of modification. What are you gaining by losing the safety function of pistol with a hammer and can fire in SA? Of course this is a government agency we're talking about. :):

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    The FNX being converted to a decocker only. Not arguing with you, I just don't understand what the point of doing that would be, let alone the added cost of modification. What are you gaining by losing the safety function of pistol with a hammer and can fire in SA? Of course this is a government agency we're talking about. :):

Some agencies mandate that there is no safety on their handguns. With a decock only it is ALWAYS ready to fire (what the SIG's refer to Combat Ready) Several departments have that ingrained into thier training. That is one reason SIG has a decent shar of the Police market State, Municipal and Federal.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    And one company. There is a common denominator there.

Look at what Glock's share of the LE market has done in the past 10 years. They practically owned it 10 years ago. They still do extremely well, but they have lost a ton of LE business, for whatever reason that may be.

I'm not a Glock fanboy or hater, but there are probably reasons so many departments are switching to X, Y, or Z brand.

Some are switching but not that many. I'm happy that we have not had such problems. This is the first I've heard of systemic problems with Gen 3 G17's and Gen 4 G21's. Gen 3 G22's were only having issues with SOME lights mounted to them, I hadn't heard of significant issues with running w/o lights involved. Gen 4 seemed to have fixed that issue.

TheReaper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2012
    Southeastern IN

CQB, in625shooter is correct, they're not going to deviate from what they've always issued, which is a pistol that doesn't have a safety. Years ago, they issued Beretta model 84F's as backup/off duty guns that had a safety/decocker and a lot of troops balked at it since it deviated from the Model 92G/96G's that they carried at the time. The source of this information came from a couple ISP instructors that were at the meeting where they picked the pistol and it was a decocker only.

CQB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 4, 2012
    Central North Forty
    Some agencies mandate that there is no safety on their handguns. With a decock only it is ALWAYS ready to fire (what the SIG's refer to Combat Ready) Several departments have that ingrained into thier training. That is one reason SIG has a decent shar of the Police market State, Municipal and Federal.

CQB, in625shooter is correct, they're not going to deviate from what they've always issued, which is a pistol that doesn't have a safety. Years ago, they issued Beretta model 84F's as backup/off duty guns that had a safety/decocker and a lot of troops balked at it since it deviated from the Model 92G/96G's that they carried at the time. The source of this information came from a couple ISP instructors that were at the meeting where they picked the pistol and it was a decocker only.

Thanks for the info.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Seems like a waste of money to change guns/calibers every few years.

From what I was told by someone high up in the ISP, Glock gave the guns and leather to the ISP at zero charge in exchange for whatever they carried before. There's a good chance that FN is making the same offer to get their guns in the hands of more LE groups. The cost comes in with the ammo purchased for carry and training.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    From what I was told by someone high up in the ISP, Glock gave the guns and leather to the ISP at zero charge in exchange for whatever they carried before. There's a good chance that FN is making the same offer to get their guns in the hands of more LE groups. The cost comes in with the ammo purchased for carry and training.

Per a trooper friend of mine, this is correct. FN is supplying the holsters and mag pouches.

Top Bottom