• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    In general I don't see anything excessive about confiscating the criminal's property directly used to facilitate a felony, be they scales, bongs, or luxury SUV. Guy clubs someone, you don't give him his baseball bat back when he gets out of prison.

I do see a problem with allowing the police agency and prosecutor's office who are handling the crime making a profit off of it. That is a huge unethical conflict of interest. Issue for another case, I guess.

historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    SD by residency, Hoosier by heart
    In general I don't see anything excessive about confiscating the criminal's property directly used to facilitate a felony, be they scales, bongs, or luxury SUV. Guy clubs someone, you don't give him his baseball bat back when he gets out of prison.

I do see a problem with allowing the police agency and prosecutor's office who are handling the crime making a profit off of it. That is a huge unethical conflict of interest. Issue for another case, I guess.

Yeah. Indiana's argument was "Because we can." Now that this is going back to the lower courts it will be interesting if they go with that it was material relevant to the crime.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

Taking property that has more value than the maximum fine for a crime is wrong.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Taking property that has more value than the maximum fine for a crime is wrong.

So confiscating property that was directly used to commit a crime is wrong? Using your logic, how is it that any property is worth more than a felony conviction with a prison term of anywhere from one-year to life (or even death) punishment? Note that my comment was applied to felonies generally, not just this case. Property, like freedom, should only be confiscated after due process in court, and be a result of a convicted crime, and it definitely should not be making money for the courts, the prosecutor, nor the police.

*** Not that the whole "what's a felony" and "what's a crime" couldn't use a big overhaul.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Think about the absurdity- there are bales of cash that were actually used in the crime to pay for the whatever (let's make it weapons grade uranium, ivory, illegal crocodile skins- anything but drugs), and even though it was actually used in the criminal transaction, we still have to engage in a proportionality argument as to whether it can be seized.

C'mon.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Some of the more lucrative financial crimes come to mind, too, in which any cap on forfeiture might just be considered the risk of doing business.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Let's not pretend this has anything to do with justice or fighting crime. This is a money grab, plain and simple.

If you want to use civil forfeiture to take things proven to be acquired with ill-gotten gains, I am on board. Taking something simply because it might have been used or was used in the commission of a crime, no.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    That seems to make sense, but that's where the fungibility of cash becomes an issue.

Hypothetically, if someone is both a drug dealer AND inherits a large sum of money, then buys a high end SUV - was that SUV "acquired" with the drug dealing money, or the inheritance?

These are not easy lines to draw.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I just think the whole concept of civil forfeiture is wrong. The punishment, including fines should be prescribed by law and applied equally to all defendants. If after conviction the defendant lacks resources to pay the fines then property may be seized to pay fines with balance returned to the defendant.

Under no circumstances should any government agency profit from seizing property from citizens, it is just wrong and immoral no matter what the courts have ruled on its existence...

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    When things are civilly forfeited, do they get returned to the "rightful" party, or does the government keep it? If the government keeps it, how is that justice?

Asking for a friend.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    When things are civilly forfeited, do they get returned to the "rightful" party, or does the government keep it? If the government keeps it, how is that justice?

Asking for a friend.

Stolen items are returned to the owner if it is a legal item and the rightful owner can be determined....which has nothing to do with civil forfeiture.

Top Bottom