• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Seems a bit silly that I became an armed criminal just because I had to drive through the Peoples Republic of Illinois. This best advice I can give is to learn each state's firearms laws that you travel through. Of course I am told that some people just put the loaded pistol under the seat and drive the speed limit.

The Federal Peaceable Journey laws allow you to legally transport a firearm through a state where you are not licensed provided you are legal at both the start and the end of your journey. There are some other things you must do to be compliant.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Too bad I live in Lake County, ten minutes from Illinois, and I can't carry. Their laws are stupid when it comes to the carry and ownership issues. I like Mayor Daley, but I think he is wrong when it comes to the firearms issues.

Someone actually admits to liking Mayor Daley and I thought that he bought all of his votes with hard earned tax payer cash :rolleyes:

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    I am pretty sure when using our IN. permits in Fl. you must use conceled carry and no open carry to be legal as Fl. doesn't allow open carry. One might want to do some research to see in other states if you must be open or conceled, a lot of states don't allow both open\conceled carry like IN. does. Someone else in this thread said there bullets wern't allowed in Fl. what are you carrying and what isn't they don't allow? I carry Speer gold dots, are those banned anywhere? Thanks!

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I am pretty sure when using our IN. permits in Fl. you must use conceled carry and no open carry to be legal as Fl. doesn't allow open carry. One might want to do some research to see in other states if you must be open or conceled, a lot of states don't allow both openconceled carry like IN. does. Someone else in this thread said there bullets wern't allowed in Fl. what are you carrying and what isn't they don't allow? I carry Speer gold dots, are those banned anywhere? Thanks!

They are banned in New Jersey. The People's Republic of Joisey doesn't allow it's citizens to possess hollowpoint ammo.

Which is why things like Federal's EFMJ ammo are a nice new development.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    My step father called me from WV last night and said that WV and Indiana now honored each other's permits. Any way of finding out if that is true, now?

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008

I can't find anything that says so either. I think he's a little confused because he can carry here, if I understand Indiana's laws regarding honoring other state's permits.

But I can't carry there :( I'll have to research to see about a WV non-resident permit so I can carry legally when I go home to visit. If such a thing exists.

TSC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2008
    INDY
    2/3/09.....I WAS REVIEWING SOME OLD POSTS AND FOUND YOURS ABOUT OHIO GUN LAWS. THIS IS WHAT I USE.
    I WROTE THE OHIO ATTORNEY GENERAL IN THE PAST AND THEY CONCURRED WITH THIS APPROACH. I WROTE THEM CONCERNING THE SEPT 08 CHANGE BUT THEY DID NOT REPLY. BIGGEST PROBLM IS THAT THE OHIO COPS DON'T ALWAYS KNOW WHAT'S LEGAL OR NOT. I CARRY A PRINTOUT OF THIS AND UNTIL SEPT 08 I HAD A COPY OF THE OHIO AG MEMO TO ME. FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH HERE IT IS---

OHIO LAWS TO TRANSPORT FIREARM W/OUT OHIO CHL
    EFFECTIVE SEPT, 2008.
    Sec. 2923.16.
    (A) No person shall knowingly discharge a firearm while in or on a motor vehicle.
    (B) No person shall knowingly transport or have a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle in such a manner that the firearm is accessible to the operator or any passenger without leaving the vehicle.
    (C) No person shall knowingly transport or have a firearm in a motor vehicle, unless it the person may lawfully possess that firearm under applicable law of this state or the United States, the firearm is unloaded, and the firearm is carried in one of the following ways:
    (1) In a closed package, box, or case;
    NO REQUIREMENT TO LOCK
    (2) In a compartment that can be reached only by leaving the vehicle;
    (3) In plain sight and secured in a rack or holder made for the purpose;
    WOULD A ‘IN PLAIN SIGHT’ MOUNTED HOLSTER QUALIFY ?
    ……………………………
    (K)
    (5) "Unloaded" means, with any of the following:

1. [*]No ammunition is in the firearm in question, and no ammunition is loaded into a magazine or speed loader that may be used with the firearm in question and that is located anywhere within the vehicle in question, without regard to where ammunition otherwise is located within the vehicle in question.
    NO REQUIREMENT TO KEEP SEPARATE FROM WEAPON

mg_srt

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Elkhart/South Bend
    Couple questions how would one go about obtainng a ohio carry permit? do you have to be a resident there? If you own a ohio permit as well as a Indiana that would greatly open the states you can carry in. Also if I were to take a road trip and i can legally carry at my fianal destination, but i have to drive through a state that does not honor can i still bring my gun?

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Couple questions how would one go about obtainng a ohio carry permit? do you have to be a resident there? If you own a ohio permit as well as a Indiana that would greatly open the states you can carry in. Also if I were to take a road trip and i can legally carry at my fianal destination, but i have to drive through a state that does not honor can i still bring my gun?

I think Ohio has resident-only Permits. If I'm wrong, I do know that you must take a certain number of hours in a class and then a range test. I believe Virginia or one of those states in that area offers non-residence licenses that are honored in Ohio, you must take an approved firearms class and submit proof of taking that class with the paperwork you send to them.

As far as interstate travel, yes you can if you're doing so as stated, however I believe the rule is that you must unload and lock your weapon out of reach (trunk being your safest bet).

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Ohio does not have non-resident permits, so to legally carry there, you have to have a permit from a state they recognize, and Indiana is not one of them. With a resident IN LTCH and a Utah CFP, you get 33 states. There's no way an Indiana resident who is not a LEO can lawfully carry in KS, SC, or WV, and CA, CT, HI, IL, IA, ME, MD, MA, NE, NJ, NY, OR, RI, and WI do not recognize any permits from any other state. (The Utah CFP adds DE, MN, NV, NM, OH, VA, and WA to the 25 other states that recognize our LTCH.)

TSC, what's the benefit to not having to lock the case in which the gun is carried if you're not allowed to have ammo in a speed loader or a mag? Or were you saying that it's not required to have the locked case?

Blessings,
    Bill

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Ohio does not have non-resident permits, so to legally carry there, you have to have a permit from a state they recognize, and Indiana is not one of them.

Not entirely true! Ohio is an open carry state! With no permit needed. At least that is what I understand, please correct me if I am wrong before I go break some laws in a few weeks!

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Not entirely true! Ohio is an open carry state! With no permit needed. At least that is what I understand, please correct me if I am wrong before I go break some laws in a few weeks!

OpenCarry.org - State Information For Ohio

Ohio is a traditional open carry state. Recently, the Ohio legislature passed HB-12 over Governor Taft's veto, thus preempting all local open carry bans even in Ohio's "home rule" localities. Unfortunately, despite passage of HB-12, a permit to conceal is still required to openly carry a handgun in a vehicle.

If this is true, you would need to secure before getting in the vehicle.

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    OpenCarry.org - State Information For Ohio

If this is true, you would need to secure before getting in the vehicle.

Correct, That's what I thought, and I also believe there was a debate at the OpenCarry.org Ohio forum on if you should unload the magazines as well! I probably won't do much OCing when I go, but if I cross the River into Kentucky (Cincy area) I'll be CCing since KY honors our license.

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    I see that more and more States are and have recognized Indiana's LTCH - abet concealed only depending on State - however, Ohio is still young as a carry State. People should not have to qualify and test for a right - rather "strongly suggested" to take classes IMHO.

Sometimes the best way to get a free class is to join the Military or Police Reserves.

Top Bottom