• BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    WSOCTV.com

Statesville Pizza Hut Worker Wrestles Gun Away From Robber

Posted: 4:28 pm EDT September 24, 2009Updated: 8:55 pm EDT September 24, 2009
    Comment On This Story ››
    STATESVILLE, N.C. -- A local man said he knew a masked robber would kill him when he couldn't open a Statesville restaurant's safe. And because he has a family to take care of, he said he knew he had to fight back.
    Therman Martin said he found himself in a fight for his life late Tuesday night. He was working at the Pizza Hut on Signal Hill Drive when an armed robber burst in and tried to force him to open the safe.
    “He kept demanding I open the safe, and I can't open the safe. I'm just the oven man,” he said.
    Martin said the robber forced him into the bathroom and he knew his life was in danger.
    “He took the gun and held it to my leg and squeezed the trigger -- and it didn't go off,” he said.
    That's when Martin leapt into action and started fighting back.
    “I kept bending his arm and he wouldn't let the gun go, so I started biting him. And I bit his finger until he let the gun go, and when I got that gun -- that's when he was scared,” Martin said.
    The gun went off in the scuffle. Three shots were fired, but nobody was hit.
    The robber took off running for the door but not before making a bold request.
    “He said, ‘Please give me the gun back. It's not my gun and I'll leave.’ I said, ‘You shouldn't have been here trying to rob somebody who's trying to make a living,’” Martin said.
    Martin described the suspect as a black man about 5 feet 10 inches tall and 160 pounds. He was wearing dark clothes and a ski mask.
    If you have information that can help officers find that robber, call Crime Stoppers at 704-437-COPS.
    VIDEO: VICTIM'S EXTENDED INTERVIEW: Pizza Hut Robber Pleads for His Gun

I'm glad he was really bad at what he was doing. :D

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    How do you not lure him back with an "OK" and hold him for the cops???

Illegally detained

ask any walmart or best buy greeter about that one when you refuse to show your receipt. ;)

You cannot illegally detain anyone for any reason or they will come back and sue you and you will get a liberal judge and you'll be fita.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    He's got balls. If more people had the same will to fight back, there would be fewer victims to prey on. If I responded to the scene, I would be the first to shake that guys hand. A breath of fresh air. Glad he's ok.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Pizza Hut does not allow their workers to fight back. I'm sure he'll he fired for defending his life. Because, you know, his life is worth less than Pizza Hut's insurance risk. :rolleyes:

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Illegally detained

ask any walmart or best buy greeter about that one when you refuse to show your receipt. ;)

You cannot illegally detain anyone for any reason or they will come back and sue you and you will get a liberal judge and you'll be fita.

I believe that "citizen's arrest" is still valid for felonies.

Srtsi4wd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Pizza Hut does not allow their workers to fight back. I'm sure he'll he fired for defending his life. Because, you know, his life is worth less than Pizza Hut's insurance risk. :rolleyes:

It was their policy when I worked there. (~5yrs ago)
    Non-compliance with a robber, ie defending yourself was a very specific no-no in the employee handbook.

If he works at a corporate store, he'll probably be fired.

He has a chance if he works for a franchise location.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008

I was just remembering the guy they fired for fighting back. Now, this guy oughtta sue them, since Pizza Hut and companies like them have accepted the responsibility for providing for the security of their employees when they negligently chose to disarm them and make it against company policy to defend themselves.

Hustlehard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    Noblesville
    "i'll leave, just give me the gun back" -classic , its like a cartoon, the guys "oh alright...wait a minute" then they're back to square one with yackty sacks playing in the background, on a serious note, what can they legally do about self defense or is it you work at pizza hut, your boned?

critter592

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    North Central, IN
    I'm curious. Are there any lawyers who would take on a case like that? Suing the employer for disarming them and then failing to protect them? Has it ever gone down that road?

Last edited:

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    I'm curious. Are there any lawyers who would take on a case like that? Suing the employer for disarming them and then failing to protect them? Has it ever gone down that road?

i started a similar thread a few months ago. another state has a law that grants immunity to business owners for the actions of CCers. i wanted to know if Indiana had any such law, as well as the employer's legal liability if they prohibit an employee from carrying anything (gun, knife, pepperspray, tazer, etc) and said employee is shot/killed during an armed robbery....especially if there was a reasonable belief that such a robbery would occur (ie the other stores owned by the Employer had been robbed the month prior).

i received not a single reply.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Illegally detained

Just seeing this. In the early 90's we "detained" and "beat" an individual whose whose ppaer bag slipped off his fake gun. No charges on our end. As others have stated you can detain a someone if they're committing a felony.

PS: I love walking past the Walmart greeters on the way out. If asked I keep walking and will sometimes say "Are you accusing me of stealing?" While thye ponder that, I'm out the door:D

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    As for not illegally detaining someone - then why not beat them unconscious and call the cops - so they are "caught in the act"? That makes no sense. I might have unloaded it and offered to trade the EMPTY gun for his Driver's License.... THAT might be an equitable trade.

Manan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    West Central
    I was working in Junction City Kansas and a similar type robbery occurred in a Pizza Hut. Much worse results, son and mother executed. We did get the guys. I have thought about this one for many years.

Top Bottom