Statue Depicting a Slave Not Welcome in Indiana?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chefnick7

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Monticello Indiana
    I also see a lot of proposed laws, Many stupid and whacky laws are proposed even today. That doesn't mean much. I could find a lot more offensive laws proposed today just reading about California politics.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    When in our state's history did Hoosiers shed blood to end slavery? I'm not familiar with such an occurrence in the 195 year existence of Indiana. To suggest that such is a good reason for not having the statue is a misunderstanding of history.

My wife's ggg-grandfather died as a Yankee at Shiloh (IIRC). I bet he wasn't the only one from this state since his entire regiment was from Indiana.

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    The point is, the War of Northern Aggression was fought to "preserve" the Union, not end slavery. This is what Dishonest Abe said in 1861 and it is what the U.S. Congress said in 1861.

And the point of the repeal date is that the right to vote was extended to blacks with the ratification of the 15th Amendment in 1870. It took Indiana 11 years to repeal unconstitutional laws from the books.

Slavery itself wasn't abolished until December 6, 1865. General Grant had to finally free his wife's slaves on this date.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Ah, I see what Jake was doing then based upon Compatriot's post. This has been beat to death before.

Slavery had nothing to do with the Civil War....Ya we've heard this before. Those that believe that IMHO are just trying to rewrite history.
    Since Indiana means "land of the Indians" an Indianapolis means "City of Indians" you would think maybe some statues of them an there history...as long as taxpayer don't have to pay for either.

Ok here come the Confederates to tell me slavery had nothing at all to do with the Civil War.....:popcorn:

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Once again, 2 dozen supposed "activists" are allowed to dictate the course for all. History is history.....it can't be revised as needed to fit the politically correct wind of the day.

Activists Rally Against Controversial Statue - Indiana News Story - WRTV Indianapolis

Removing the statue kowtows to racism!!! In the history of slavery, African Americans have the moral high ground. They struggled to be free. All paid dearly, and some made great sacrifices to taste sweet, sweet liberty. So why be ashamed that that they were the oppressed? It seems to me if anyone, it should be people who descend from slave owners who ought to be ashamed when they see the statue. I am sorry that Citizens Against Slave Image have fallen prey to racism, and it would seem to me that they view African Americans through the prejudiced eyes of the white racist.

Erasing the memory of injustice does not right a wrong. It deepens the wrong. Think about a recent "cleansed" edition of Huckleberry Finn, an anti-slavery novel written by Mark Twain. Some people were so offended by the repeated usage of the word "******" that they removed it and substituted with "slave." How is that "better"? If anything, it is far worse. [EDIT: I just discovered the forum won't let me type out the derogatory term for African Americans. I guess I won't be able to discuss the works of Mark Twain on this forum.]

Let's face history with honesty, courage, and integrity.

Da Bing

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I see a lot of laws repealed in 1881, which I seem to remember is about 70 years before many other states repealed similar laws, whats your point? Also whats your problem with an honest history lesson for Indiana residents.

And in a mere 45 years, the Ku Klux Klan was running this state.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    The point is, the War of Northern Aggression was fought to "preserve" the Union, not end slavery. This is what Dishonest Abe said in 1861 and it is what the U.S. Congress said in 1861.

The War of Southern Treason was fought over slavery as those that fought and bled for slavery all admit.

We've been over this. The war was about slavery as the Confederates all 'fessed up to.

"If it was right to own slaves as property it was right to fight for it. The South went to war on account of slavery. South Carolina went to war – as she said in her Secession proclamation – because slavery wd. not be secure under Lincoln. South Carolina ought to know what was the cause for her seceding.” John S. Mosby.

Lincoln was hated because of the threat to slavery that he posed.

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    Removing the statue kowtows to racism!!! In the history of slavery, African Americans have the moral high ground. They struggled to be free. All paid dearly, and some made great sacrifices to taste sweet, sweet liberty. So why be ashamed that that they were the oppressed? It seems to me if anyone, it should be people who descend from slave owners who ought to be ashamed when they see the statue. I am sorry that Citizens Against Slave Image have fallen prey to racism, and it would seem to me that they view African Americans through the prejudiced eyes of the white racist.

Erasing the memory of injustice does not right a wrong. It deepens the wrong. Think about a recent "cleansed" edition of Huckleberry Finn, an anti-slavery novel written by Mark Twain. Some people were so offended by the repeated usage of the word "******" that they removed it and substituted with "slave." How is that "better"? If anything, it is far worse. [EDIT: I just discovered the forum won't let me type out the derogatory term for African Americans. I guess I won't be able to discuss the works of Mark Twain on this forum.]

Let's face history with honesty, courage, and integrity.

Da Bing
    :yesway: There are many unpleasant things in our nation's history. An occasionally reminder is healthy.

Jake46184

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    Indianapoils
    The War of Southern Treason was fought over slavery as those that fought and bled for slavery all admit.

We've been over this. The war was about slavery as the Confederates all 'fessed up to.

"If it was right to own slaves as property it was right to fight for it. The South went to war on account of slavery. South Carolina went to war – as she said in her Secession proclamation – because slavery wd. not be secure under Lincoln. South Carolina ought to know what was the cause for her seceding.” John S. Mosby.

Lincoln was hated because of the threat to slavery that he posed.

The American Civil War had very little to do with slavery. Its beginning had nothing to do with slavery. Slavery was nothing but a tool of war used by Lincoln during the Conflict in a desperate attempt to destablize the South. That's all. The North was never fighting to free the slaves and the South was never fighting to keep them. Never. Suggesting such would have been laughable at the time.

There has been an effort made, almost since the end of the war some 146 years ago, to paint a revisionist view of the Conflict and its roots. They are without factual credibility. The average American today is clueless as to the causes, the strategies (both employed and avoided), the international influence, and how they have been duped into learning and believing a concocted version of history.

You've watched way too many Hollywood movies.....

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    Then what about a statue of a Native American to symbolize a Nation of people who got absolutely nothing.:dunno:

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Preserving slavery was THE issue, the all consuming issue, to the South at the Constitutional Convention--1808 is in there not about tariffs, but slavery, to the Missouri Compromise, to Lincoln-Douglas Debates, to William Walker, to the Knights of the Golden Circle, to Kansas-Nebraska Act, to Bloody Kansas, to the Fugitive Slave Act, to John Brown, to the Dred Scott decision, to the reason there was bloody violence right on the floor of the U.S. Congress with the caning of Senator Sumner, to the election of Lincoln, to the reasons the Southern states left the Union, to the structure of the Confederate Constitution, to the reasons the Southerners fought tooth and nail.

Uncle Tom's cabin, the reason for the Civil War according to Lincoln, was not written about cultural arrogance of the North or anti-states rights. Southern violence in Kansas was not about tariffs. It was all about slavery.

Let's ask the men who fought and bled for the South. The men that risked life, limb, hunger, and disease why they did what they did. They did it to defend slavery and they were not laughing:

There has been an effort made, almost since the end of the war some 146 years ago, to paint a revisionist view of the Conflict and its roots.

The revisionist history was done by the Lost Causers who were ashamed that they were fighting for slavery. General Early started it and it continues today for the slaver apologists.

I recommend The Myth of the Lost Cause by Gallagher and Nolan if you want to learn how the revisionists have attempted to shift away from the slave roots of the Civil War.

Last edited:

.45 Dave

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    I object strongly to the poem on the statue of Liberty: ""Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. ..."
    That presents my ancestors in a bad light!!

Of course the statue will probably be stolen soon for its copper content anyway.

.45 Dave

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    Preserving slavery was THE issue, the all consuming issue, to the South at the Constitutional Convention--1808 is in there not about tariffs, but slavery, to the Missouri Compromise, to Lincoln-Douglas Debates, to William Walker, to the Knights of the Golden Circle, to Kansas-Nebraska Act, to Bloody Kansas, to the Fugitive Slave Act, to John Brown, to the Dred Scott decision, to the reason there was bloody violence right on the floor of the U.S. Congress with the caning of Senator Sumner, to the election of Lincoln, to the reasons the Southern states left the Union, to the structure of the Confederate Constitution, to the reasons the Southerners fought tooth and nail.

Uncle Tom's cabin, the reason for the Civil War according to Lincoln, was not written about cultural arrogance of the North or anti-states rights. Southern violence in Kansas was not about tariffs. It was all about slavery.

Let's ask the men who fought and bled for the South. The men that risked life, limb, hunger, and disease why they did what they did. They did it to defend slavery and they were not laughing:

The revisionist history was done by the Lost Causers who were ashamed that they were fighting for slavery. General Early started it and it continues today for the slaver apologists.

I recommend The Myth of the Lost Cause by Gallagher and Nolan if you want to learn how the revisionists have attempted to shift away from the slave roots of the Civil War.

It was also a war about State's Rights versus an administration that illegally ignored and broke it's own Constitutional laws to enforce it's vision on all of America. Much like today!

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    :yesway: There are many unpleasant things in our nation's history. An occasionally reminder is healthy.

I'm with you there, but you already knew that. We probably also have to realize that the Citizens Against Slave Image probably were traumatized repeatedly throughout their lives, by people who taunted them about their skin color: juvenile stuff like, "You are descended from slaves and that's why you are no good!" "Black people never accomplished anything!" So now they can't face a painful part of their (and our) history. We must be compassionate towards them.

Of course, for me the equation would be very different if all we had were statues and pictures of slaves, rather than a healthy mixture of various aspects of the African American experience: from politics and history to letters and sports.

Da Bing

.45 Dave

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    During the course of the civil war, Indiana contributed approximately 210,000 soldiers and millions of dollars of equipment and supplies to the Union. Residents of Indiana served in every major engagement of the war and almost every engagement—minor or otherwise—in the western theater of the war.

Not all. The Indiana 14th Volunteers fought in every major (and many minor) engagements in Virginia and at Gettysburg. I had a gggg-grandfather who died at Antietam and a gggg-uncle who was wounded there but survived the war.
    Also the 27th Indiana Infantry Regiment fought there too.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    I'm with you there, but you already knew that. We probably also have to realize that the Citizens Against Slave Image probably were traumatized repeatedly throughout their lives, by people who taunted them about their skin color: juvenile stuff like, "You are descended from slaves and that's why you are no good!" "Black people never accomplished anything!" So now they can't face a painful part of their (and our) history. We must be compassionate towards them.

Of course, for me the equation would be very different if all we had were statues and pictures of slaves, rather than a healthy mixture of various aspects of the African American experience: from politics and history to letters and sports.

Da Bing

We freely place monuments commemorating the Vietnam conflict, yet those soldiers who did return from that awful mudhole were often met with derision and hatred. We freely place monuments to World War II, yet the Americans with Japanese grandparents who remember being imprisoned on the basis of race alone do not complain of it. We have an entire museum for Holocaust survivors, yet they do not complain because they can go and see the uniforms of the Nazis who imprisoned and slaughtered them. Slavery was horrible, yes. The fact remains that it was defeated, and remembering your roots is vital for any people or nation. The butthurt needs to be dealt with: they are hardly the only people to have suffered and have their suffering commemorated.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    scottrodgers87
    Top Bottom