• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ghunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    nap-town
    Unless my house is glowing in the dark or on fire, my family has to shelter in place. Come what may, we have to endure or destroy what comes at us.

viiiupndhead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Auburn
    I stopped calling my pack a Bug Out Bag (BOB). Its actually a Get Home Bag (GHB). It would be almost logistically impossible to bug out long term unless you have a fully stocked, self-sufficient ranch or farm waiting for you. +10 to ar15_dude for his post. Cody Lundin's books are a great example. Even he says a long term "camping trip" bug out plan is unsustainable. This guy lived in a friggin' teepee for YEARS.

There is a psychology to the Home this thread has not addressed. Imagine your wife and 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6 year old after about 3 days without a shower, a hot meal or meaningful sleep. Even hardened soldiers get home-sick. Home is primary, unless there is no more home.

sentinelrepublic

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Noblesville
    I stopped calling my pack a Bug Out Bag (BOB). Its actually a Get Home Bag (GHB). It would be almost logistically impossible to bug out long term unless you have a fully stocked, self-sufficient ranch or farm waiting for you. +10 to ar15_dude for his post. Cody Lundin's books are a great example. Even he says a long term "camping trip" bug out plan is unsustainable. This guy lived in a friggin' teepee for YEARS.

There is a psychology to the Home this thread has not addressed. Imagine your wife and 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6 year old after about 3 days without a shower, a hot meal or meaningful sleep. Even hardened soldiers get home-sick. Home is primary, unless there is no more home.

yep, this. I have two bags. A neigborhood patroll bag with backup magazines etc. And a get home bag. No bugging out. bugging out could have all you stuff taken by a) the authorities or b) the rioters.....stay put and defend!

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    This will never end just like the CC vs OC debate.

I figure my one neighbor will die quickly as he is a wimp who thinks guns are bad and would probably end up getting shot in a food line or trying to loot smewhere. And my other neighbor who is a decent acquaintance and I would turn his property into our garden and we would defend it ourselves. And he is "supposedly" Mexican Mafia or something like that. So I think he is probably a good friend to have.

So I will be bugging in.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Indy East Side
    Well, being that I live in the Indy metro area.... I would leave as soon as the SHTF and head south to a more wooded and secluded area. The problem is: Over a million people in the Indy metro area + panic + food crisis + water crisis + vandalism + gangs= GTFO

I'm facing the same situation. The parents have a place 25 miles outside of the city. Me and my Brothers have a plan to head out there where we have started stocking a few items.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Anyone considering moving during an emergency should probably do so asap.
    As soon as the unprepared run out of canned goods they'll be on the street looking for food
    to steal. I wouldn't want to be caught with my family and my supplies by a crowd of hungry thugs. Also if you have the only vehicle around that runs you'll be a target.
    paper maps would be handy if the grid/satelites go down. You need the ability to
    change routes in a pinch[blocked roads,collapsed bridges etc.] Also lots of spare tires.

reddog14

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Bug Out!

I plan on bugging out as soon as it starts. My in-laws have a home with all the smaller 3x2 windows near the ceiling and only two large windows we need to deal with. They have their own well that I have ready to switch to solar. They have their own septic system. They live on 8 acres in the country with three wooded. They have a wood burning furnace as backup, and they have everything paid off. As a bonus, my mother-in-law is a certified Master Gardener.

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I plan on bugging out as soon as it starts. My in-laws have a home with all the smaller 3x2 windows near the ceiling and only two large windows we need to deal with. They have their own well that I have ready to switch to solar. They have their own septic system. They live on 8 acres in the country with three wooded. They have a wood burning furnace as backup, and they have everything paid off. As a bonus, my mother-in-law is a certified Master Gardener.

Can we come too. please?:D

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Of course I'd prefer to stay in my own home, but we are prepared just in case we have to flee/evacuate in a hurry.

Hopefully it'll never come to that, but if it ever does we'll at least have some basic supplies ready to take with us as we rush out the door.

JFrost

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    Plainfield
    Very few people will bug out. The slippery slope this country is sliding down is too gradual, to 'soft'. There won't be a single event or a finely delineated line at the boundary of SHingTF. The gradual encroachment upon our liberties is underway, and for most, barely noticeable. Bugging out is a nearly complete commitment to abandoning ones lifestyle, livelihood, and prospects of a peaceable future. With the exception of natural disaster the 'time to bug out' will be a very difficult call to make. 1930's Germany provides a very good example of this.

Hap Hazard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Stay in the surroundings with which you are most familiar. Defending your home from the OUTSIDE may make more sense than being inside. Leave only as a last resort unless, of course, you're in the big cities. In that event I'd be thinking seriously of getting out NOW.

7th Stepper

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    Indiana
    I would stay put. Too much stuff to carry and too much unknown. I have two younger kids(10yr and 7Yr) in the house so moving could be a problem with short legs. And lack of good bug out location.

The goal is to have 5-6 weeks of supplies, guns for all family members (teaching boys to shoot .22), and getting lumber to barricade with.

After supplies get low, pack up what is left in the SUV and head south. By then it should thin out and be safer to travel.

Warhawk77, I noticed in your reply that you have two young sons who you're wanting to teach to shoot, I'm thinking your weapon of choice for your sons are .22 rifles?

I have the perfect solution to teaching your sons about rifles, rifle safety, AND marksmanship, and to teach them to shoot, well and accurately. INGO has many members who belong to an organization called AppleseedUSA, and it's purposes are to teach real, authentic, American History, based on the Revolutionary War, and how it came to be that we live in a free country. BUT the other part you will be very interested in, is that it will also teach your sons how to safely and accurately use, handle, load, unload, and accurately fire a .22 rifle.

Appleseed has several Instructors, and Instructors In Training at each and every "shoot" they put on, and shoots are usually held at least once or twice a month,(occasionally more) at a variety of locations. My husband (who is an Instructor) and I are somewhat "midstate", so the shoots we usually go to are in Cloverdale most of the time. The Instructors are VERY student oriented, and will work "one on one" with your sons if necessary, to build their confidence, knowledge, comfort level, pride in themselves, and general gun safety. I don't think there has EVER been an accident at an Appleseed, and if there has, it HASN'T been gun related. They're very VERY careful, and VERY much on the ball as to what is going on, every second of every shoot. Plus, we ususally have medical help on hand, should someone need it, either from bee stings, to much sun, twisting an ankle while going to the bathroom, etc.

There is a Shoot Boss (Usually Yellowhouse Jake, his Appleseed name), 2 or 3 Line Bosses, who make sure everything is safe and ready on the line when the shooting gets underway, Instructors In Training, and AppleCore members, who're volunteers,(actually, I think everyone involved with the Appleseed Project are volunteers) who give out the targets, score them, get the Patches ready if someones' score is that of a Rifleman (a score of 210 or higher) hand out the info & T-Shirts, get the releases done, make sure there's a goodly amount of water so everyone stays hydrated, and do the usual leg work that the Instructors rely on us to do, to keep everything running smoothly and safely.

It's a GREAT experience for both your sons, AND for you as well. You'll really enjoy yourself, the day, the people, all the info you'll learn, and the joy you'll see on your sons' faces when they hit their first target dead on! There are several stages they take you thru, as well as a lunch break (lunch is handled by I believe it's Jakes daughters, and the income goes into their "wildlife fund". Either that, or you you can bring your own lunch, but let me stress one thing, there is no such thing as "to much water" (Vitawater, GForce, Gatorade, etc.,) to bring and drink. Concentrating that hard, and being out in the sun that long, you'll need to hydrate, hydrate, hydrate, as well as have an ample supply of sun screen and bug spray. All you'll need to bring are the .22s, mats for you to lie on (and one for yourself if the Riflebug bites you) LOL, or they have "loaners" if you want to partake of the experience (I highly recommend it, you'll LOVE it!) hats (to keep the direct sun off your heads) and some sort of eye and ear protection as well. Both of which can be found at any local gun supplier/store, (or even Walmart) and aren't really that expensive. But are absolutely necessary for their eye and ear safety!

If you want to check it out further, go to www.appleseedusa.org for more detales, and where and when the different shoots are held. Personally, I'm a Blue Hat, aka my screen name of 7th Stepper. The first 6 Steps are on shooting and safety, the 7th Step is getting the word out about our project, and we have, and have had, shoots all across the country, even in CA where the laws are so bass--ackwards it's pathetic. I can say that, I was born and raised there, but didn't really experience a "good" way of life until my daughter and I moved to IN, back in March of 92 and my husband joined us in 93) We've been here ever since. I've been back to CA twice, and left each time with less and less of a desire to EVER return there again.

So, I'll shut up now, if you promise to at least check out the web site I gave you, I think it's something that you'll find "right down your alley", and your kids will thank you for as they get older and more knowledgeable. The things they'll learn from the "Three Strikes of the Match" (our American history, History of the Constitution, and what it REALLY was meant and written for, and how we broke Englands tyrany over us), are things that I doubt they'll ever be taught in school, at least not in such detail, in such an interesting and exceptionally exciting way of learning about it. I'm long out of school, and even back when I was there, this was NOT something that they did anything but gloss over. Why? I honestly don't know, it's about who we are, and how we came to be the Land of the Free, and the Home of the Brave!

Happy learning, I guarantee you won't regret a single second of it. And your kids will get not only a history lesson, they'll have a chance to learn to fire a rifle from some of the best and most knowledgeable Instructors in the country. Appleseed Instructors have even been invited to several Military firing ranges, to share their knowledge with the instructors there, who train our own military troops how to protect and defend this nation WE call home!
    Regards, and Happy Shooting!
    7th Stepper
    My computer keeps correcting the website, so I typed it in as an edit. If that doesn't work, go to Project Appleseed Home on this site (?)

Last edited:

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Dittos on the appleseed Training, we had 22 shooters on the line last week,from 7
    to 55[me] learned a lot....

7th Stepper

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    Indiana
    Dittos on the appleseed Training, we had 22 shooters on the line last week,from 7
    to 55[me] learned a lot....

Glad to have you! Please come again, and again, and again....LOL Shoots can be addictive, they're a great way to learn, and a great way to get to know people.

While I'm not able to shoot myself (ummm, that's not what it sounds like.. LOL), I have still learned a great deal, and possibly in a pinch (as in a BORS situation) I might even be able to help my husband, if only with the reloading of the rifles he already has as well as the pistols we both have and use. And the kids are the ones who REALLY enjoy it, getting to do things that would otherwise be classified as "grown up" stuff. Some of them are better shooters that the adults at a "seed" event!

Enjoy, and please take me up on my offer to come again soon, and often, I guarantee you won't regret it, especially when you get your "Rifleman" patch!

Enjoy!
    7th Stepper

Papper2

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    when you do decide its time to leave-- remember-- take what ya can and what you need-- liklyhood of your "stuff" being there if you get back is not good

Cherryspringer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Lafayette
    I can't imagine that bugging out would be a smart decision for urbanites unless they have a welcome site they're headed for. Even in these times of peace strangers and uninvited visitors are not welcomed here in rural Indiana. In a shtf situation I'm sure it would get worse real quick. All I'm getting at is that if you don't want to be in the big city when the shtf, then you may want to get out before it happens.:twocents:

Top Bottom