• ...and so much more!
  • Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Care to tell us about it, how it works, what solution you use in it, ect....
    Just experimenting with 2% ammonium chloride right now. Instead of boiling in distilled water, steaming regular water does the same for long parts. I have a rusted shotgun action and barrel I will try the steaming with.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Definitely would love to see how that turns out. I've never heard of steaming the rust off.
    It does not steam off the rust but converts it to black rust (ferro-ferric oxide) that leaves a layer of black rust fuzz that can be steel wooled off (0000) or carded with a very fine wire wheel and basically how guns were blued before hot dip bluing which is quicker and better suited to production. Rust bluing takes more time. What I am trying is called conservation and stops it from rusting more. I will see after that how pitted it is.

Last edited:

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Why isn't anyone using evaporust stuff or even something that works amazingly...electrolysis?
    That’s fine depending what one plans on doing. Converting rust to black rust is just a non-invasive way to convert rust to bluing instead of removing it and rebluing it. For old firearms you are not going to refinish it’s the way to go for preservation. I will do this eventually with my Civil War guns but will not refinish them.

For instance if you are going to reparkerize you would bead blast the item. If you are going to take it down to bare metal with evaporust/electrolisis and sand/polish out pits you would still recoat for protection in some manner, one being rust bluing by starting a thin layer of rust and converting, another being something like cerakote. If you have the cash you can invest in hot caustic bluing but rust bluing is more suitable for me at home.

I am using cheap guns to try this out with. I will probably make some mistakes but that’s why I going with what I call $100 guns, guns that sell for $100-$150 in great shape.

Last edited:

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    For the Stevens 67 trigger guard I will probably use Brownells Gun Kote gloss black. Not as tough as Cerakote but easier and cheaper to apply. The trigger group in this gun is pot metal so would not take bluing.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    First attempt at rusting last night did not work well. I need a humidity cabinet. This time I made a makeshift humidity attempt and tried to keep it between 100 and 110 degrees. This is 1/2 hour after wiping a solution of 2% ammonium chloride. Next will be a 10 minute boil, carding, and another pass at rusting.
    IMG_0910.jpeg

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    First carding after boiling. The finish is not polished so it won’t look great when done and will take more iterations of the process. Just steel wire brushed. Just seeing how dark I can get it. Got something else to get done so on hold right now.
    IMG_0912.jpeg

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Darker but splotchy and the spot at the top is where some condensate dripped on it. Going to quit on this coupon and later polish one and get better humidity control. I also did not clean it like I should before starting.
    IMG_0914.jpeg

Top Bottom