• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Just really preference, it can be a little hard on extractors. But I dont see were it would actually hurt the gun. Ive used it and not had really any trouble with it. Ive noticed like Wolf, Tulammo tends to be a little more dirty than the other stuff.

plowman766

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 18, 2010
    Huntington
    My only experience with steel cases has been with a Savage bolt action rifle in 223 caliber and the steel cased bullets would hang up and not eject after a few shots but brassed cased bullets do not so I only shoot brassed cased bullets for that reason

peberly400

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2012
    Warsaw
    Steel casing is just fine for your gun. Its all my ak will ever see. Since I plan on picking up a reloader sometime soon, I changed my buying tactics.

Federal bulk 100 = 28$
    Tul Ammo 100 = 25 and some change

buckwacker

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012
    Is anyone aware of any studies that look at wear rates to chambers, extractors, ect. when using steel ammo. I know they coat the cases for lubrication purposes, but I have always worried about prematurely wearing parts with steel cased stuff in my firearms so I dont typically use it.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    I run steel in all my guns... no signs of wear. I would never use them in a defensive firearm, but for the range... hell yeah.

! twitty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    NE Indy
    Steel casing is just fine for your gun. Its all my ak will ever see. Since I plan on picking up a reloader sometime soon, I changed my buying tactics.

Federal bulk 100 = 28$
    Tul Ammo 100 = 25 and some change

Would love to know where you are getting federal 223 at for 100 for $28

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    Shoot I'm not an expert, so take this for what it's worth: I sent my Kel-Tec P3-AT back to the factory for a fluff and buff, and they sent a note back saying don't use any steel ammo. Well, I haven't always followed their advice...but I've seen no problems..

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    All my AKs love it, I have good luck shooting it any of my .45acp and 9mm pistols. I have only shot a small amount of rounds through an AR, but it did fine.

Dave

Mcglockin7

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    Look at most high end AR platform warranties. In most cases it states that if you use steel case it voids the warranty. If you can tell a gun has been ran with steel over brass by looking at it, obviously it has some, even if minor adverse effects if the gun companies are telling people not to use it.

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    Look at most high end AR platform warranties. In most cases it states that if you use steel case it voids the warranty. If you can tell a gun has been ran with steel over brass by looking at it, obviously it has some, even if minor adverse effects if the gun companies are telling people not to use it.

I am curious as to which companies these are.:n00b:
    I don't recall ever seeing something like this on any of my Ruger manuals.

norsk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009

Before I purchased my Spike's Tactical I spoke at length with them on the phone about this. What they said boiled down to 'shoot whatever you can get for the cheapest, and shoot the hell out of the rifle, that's what it was made to do.' I agree with the previous posts that if a gun can't handle steel ammo then you probably don't want that gun.
    Here are a few copy-and-pasted responses from someone affiliated with Spike's on their forum:

"What doesn't it like is a shorter list. If you find a factory commercial or military load that it won't eat, let us know. You can go all the way up to 75gr without a problem. Above that you are usually dealing with "match" loads with 80gr rounds and require a match throat barrel.

What do I shoot?

Wolf 55gr 223
    Wolf 62gr 223
    Federal 55gr 223
    Federal 55gr 5.56
    Federal 62gr 5.56
    PMC 55gr 223
    PMC 62gr 5.56
    Multi NATO 5.56 Contractors

Basically I go for whatever is cheapest and readily available at the time I'm looking to buy more. Honestly, I buy and shoot mostly Wolf now and have never had a lick of trouble in any Spike's rifle I've owned."

And:

"TNBayou wrote:So firing the cheap wolf ammo won't void your ST warranty? I've seen other companies that won't cover their product if you do.

You can shoot Wolf without anything to worry about."

I was told specifically over the phone that in no way would steel ammo void my warranty.

Top Bottom