• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rick983

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Melensdad is absolutely correct. I shoot a LOT of steel case ammo and if it's military it will be corrosive. Anything newly made for the commercial market will be non corrosive. Wolf, Silver Bear and those types of ammo are actually quite good considering the price. By the way, the reason governments, including ours until the 1950s' used corrosive primers is their long shelf life. The compound that makes them corrosive also extends their shelf life to decades. I've shot 1930s' dated German 8mm mauser and it fired each time. If you clean your gun after each session, it won't bother you anyway. ;)

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Shelf life is equivalent to brass. A lot may be Berdan primed, which you probably don't want to go to the trouble trying to reload. The newer polymer coated ones are supposedly fine, but steel doesn't expand into the chamber like brass, so you can get carbon fouling in the chamber which can make it impossible to extract brass later, so clean the chamber thoroughly after steel.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Indy East Side
    Are there any other disadvantages like reloading issues or shelf life?

Since steal is not as amiable as brass, it has a tendency to increase the wear on your dies. That and I don't think that you will get much more than 1 or 2 reloadings out of them. Take all this as a grain of salt since I have only read tid bits on the interwebz...

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    No. Steel used for ammunition is softer and more malleable than brass. It is easier on the chamber and the reloading dies. Its is hard to reload from what I understand because it is so soft. Most people I have talked too think it's more trouble than it's worth, when you can find boxer primed steel cases.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Indy East Side
    No. Steel used for ammunition is softer and more malleable than brass. It is easier on the chamber and the reloading dies. Its is hard to reload from what I understand because it is so soft. Most people I have talked too think it's more trouble than it's worth, when you can find boxer primed steel cases.

I stand corrected, thanks. I guess I had it backwards.

Top Bottom