• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    As far as why many people were going metal roof in that one particular area, any idea how much hail they get in an average year?
    That brings up an interesting topic, in a list of things causing homeowners insurance rates up, midwest hail claims are one of them. I do not remember any talk of massive amounts of hail damage claims before the mid 90’s and now they happen frequently. Recently in a group setting over 60% present had a claim paid for a new roof…

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I've seen stuff about composite shingles as well. Wonder if those are an improvement over either steel or asphalt?

Remington 90T

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2023
    Brodhead Wisconsin
    Wife and I are in the middle of this discussion. She wants a metal roof on the house, me not so much.
    There is an idea out there that metal (talking like pole barn metal) is a forever roof. It’s not.
    Metal roof have come a long way from the old pole barn steel. Check out the new architectural steel, you can't tell them apart from shingles. As far a color fading and leaks .I took care of my 80 x 120 -60 year old pole building with a colored rubber spray done in One day.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    We put metal on the folks house. Added another 1” of insulation under on top of the asphalt shingles. That was 10-15 years ago. Still looks good and is super quiet. Single sheet runs down the house makes it fairly maintenance unintensive.

We were going to go that route with this house in a couple years but now we re just going to sell and move anyway

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    We lived in a rented farmhouse for a few years when my kids were little. Landlord said the house was built just after turn of the century. After a bad storm, the 70 year-old steel roof failed when the fasteners broke from the peeled pole rafters. The steel roof was still intact, it was just pooched out from the broken fasteners.

JTKelly

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It was a no brainer for us to get ours . When we bought our log cabin , it had cedar shakes that were in need of replacement .
    After comparing pros and cons of each , we went metal . Although I Loved the cedar shake look, after a few years ( even with the correct foot ware ) they don`t recommend getting back on a shake roof just for basic maintenance .
    Also , not looking for another maintenance item for the retirement years . Went with 2" standing seam , no exposed fasteners , and opted for commercial grade 24 gauge . Chose a Bronze/Brown ? neutral color .
    Miss the "rustic" look of the shakes .......I wish they would have made a "rusted " look at the time . Never was a fan of the bright Red and Green colors .
    The grandkids may have to have it replaced one day ....................
    As long as it is put on right now, they may have to paint it in 50-60 years.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    Here’s the inside of my FBI pole barn looking out. Every glint of daylight is where a nail is or was.
    Once you lose the small rubber seal around the fasteners moisture will migrate down the fastener into the wood and rot, would not believe how rotten those 2x4‘s are some are.

This allows the metal to loosen be it ever so slightly it still allows movement which is the death of a metal roof. IMG_0821.jpeg IMG_0822.jpeg IMG_0823.jpeg IMG_0823.jpeg

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Wife and I are in the middle of this discussion. She wants a metal roof on the house, me not so much.
    There is an idea out there that metal (talking like pole barn metal) is a forever roof. It’s not.
    If I go metal on a home it's not going to be done with what's popular here in Madison Co. They all seem to go with the exposed screw barn metal.
    I'm going to use standing seam metal.

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    If I go metal on a home it's not going to be done with what's popular here in Madison Co. They all seem to go with the exposed screw barn metal.
    I'm going to use standing seam metal.
    Most of the metal roofs here are barn (exposed screw) roofs. The metal seems to last, but the rubber washer screws do not. Recommended to replace screws ever 15 years. Paint seems to look bad after 15-20 years. Standing seam roofs look better and last longer, but they are a lot more expensive. (BTW look for videos on snow on a metal roof!!)

BTW question for the metal roof guys.... When you put a metal roof on your house, they put a layer of waterproof stuff over the roof (under the metal). How do you know if you have leaks? Or do not care? Until the wood purlins disintegrate? (The roofs I have seen installed on houses, have the waterproof stuff, purlins and then sheet metal. ) Waterproof layer looks like water and ice rolls.

BluePig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Middlebury
    Wife's co-worker had a fire at their house last year that had a metal roof.
    The fire Marshall told her that the metal roof caused more damage than a traditional roof because they had trouble venting the fire in the attic.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    We put on a metal roof from Eerie a couple years ago--unless you're within a few feet, you can't tell it's metal. Interlocked metal that looks like shingles from a distance. It wasn't cheap, but we do literally have a 100 year warranty vs. damage AND leaks from Eerie, and it's rated to take no/negligible damage from golf ball sized hail--free replacement of any panels actually damaged/leaking for the whole warranty.

Would I do it again?? In a heartbeat. The crew stripped off the old asphalt shingles, put an insulating/waterproofing layer under the metal, and did a fantastic job all around. Unlike the cheaper pole-barn looking stuff with straight ridges all down it, you cannot hear the rain hitting the roof at all.

Oh, and if by some miracle I'm still alive at the end of the warranty, supposedly it can be renewed for another 50 years on top of that. Not remotely likely, but they do believe in their product.

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    We put on a metal roof from Eerie a couple years ago--unless you're within a few feet, you can't tell it's metal. Interlocked metal that looks like shingles from a distance. It wasn't cheap, but we do literally have a 100 year warranty vs. damage AND leaks from Eerie, and it's rated to take no/negligible damage from golf ball sized hail--free replacement of any panels actually damaged/leaking for the whole warranty.

Would I do it again?? In a heartbeat. The crew stripped off the old asphalt shingles, put an insulating/waterproofing layer under the metal, and did a fantastic job all around. Unlike the cheaper pole-barn looking stuff with straight ridges all down it, you cannot hear the rain hitting the roof at all.
    It sounds like the stuff I posted about. Do you know of any place that shows it online with prices? I would be curious how the price compares to flat steel ( rolled and barn style) and shingles.

Also it sounds like that lays flat on the roof, but the barn style needs purlins to true the roof so there are not wrinkles.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    It sounds like the stuff I posted about. Do you know of any place that shows it online with prices? I would be curious how the price compares to flat steel ( rolled and barn style) and shingles.

Also it sounds like that lays flat on the roof, but the barn style needs purlins to true the roof so there are not wrinkles.

Honestly, I don't know anywhere to see prices online. We emailed/called Eerie--I don't remember which--and had a sit-down with a company rep to go over options and details...one of which was of course pricing per option, calculated for the square footage and roof style of our home.

Give 'em a call--worst you'd do is waste your/their time if their offer is too pricey for you.

Top Bottom