• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    Recently placed and order for some steel gongs, varying in size from 4" to 10", and looking for some ideas on stands/mounts. I'm looking for ideas that are NOT permanent and can be set up fairly easily and quickly as these will be used at a local range.

Last edited:

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    If you'd rather DIY, there's a ton of plans on-line. Most use wood or plastic pipe or a combination of these two materials. I found this video, which uses threaded metal pipe to use as my template ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaRYwtR8sew

The difference in my stands is that I used black iron pipe, and wanted to hang 3 targets per stand, so I used 36" lengths of pipe. I also added a cap to the ends of the legs that sit on the ground. The 90 and 45 degree fittings are all screwed together as an assembly using the nipples. The straight lengths of pipe are screwed to the fittings at the range. The least expensive method to make this type of stand is to buy a 10' length of pipe and have them cut and thread it at the store. Lowes cuts and threads for free. If you buy the precut lengths, the cost goes way up.

I didn't use chain as that's proven to be an undesirable solution to hang steel. Instead I used scrap fire hose ... Used Fire Hose | Used Fire Hoses | Used Fire Hoses for Sale | Scrap Fire Hose ... the hose is attached to the steel using hardened bolts, washers and nuts. Be sure to install the hardware so that the bolt head is on the active side of the steel.

There's not a lot of action at 100 yds. using .22LR on anything but a 4" target, but there is a clearly audible ping. All the rest of the steel moves just fine with large caliber rifle rounds. At pistol ranges with pistol calibers, all the targets sing and dance as expected.

The one drawback to the fire hose is that they sometimes catch parts of the copper jackets. Be careful when you disassemble the rig to take it home.

dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    Thanks for the link and info. I do not plan to use chain, I will be using conveyor belting if I go with something that they hang freely from like the design you have. I've got a few ideas on some easy take down type stands but need to build a couple to see how or if they will work.

TheFireArmorer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Bloomington
    Shepherd hooks work pretty good as long at the plates aren't too heavy.

IMO, a sturdy shepard's hook can't be beat for a quick solution to hanging a gong. They're easy to transport, go up quick, and take down just as quick. If you shoot through one or damage it, you're not out a lot of money. On the other hand, they definitely aren't bullet proof such as an armored stand would be, but if you're on a budget, they're the way to go. A sturdy shepard's hook can handle a 10" plate pretty well, I've done it.

Work

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    IMO, a sturdy shepard's hook can't be beat for a quick solution to hanging a gong. They're easy to transport, go up quick, and take down just as quick. If you shoot through one or damage it, you're not out a lot of money. On the other hand, they definitely aren't bullet proof such as an armored stand would be, but if you're on a budget, they're the way to go. A sturdy shepard's hook can handle a 10" plate pretty well, I've done it.

I'm going to 3rd the shepard's hook. I use them for my 6" and 8" plates and they work awesome. take hundreds of rounds without being reset and can be set in almost anything. i think mine are 3/8" bar, which gives them enough heft to really pound them (and stomp them) into some hard soil.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Thanks for the link and info. I do not plan to use chain, I will be using conveyor belting if I go with something that they hang freely from like the design you have. I've got a few ideas on some easy take down type stands but need to build a couple to see how or if they will work.

That's what I use. Sometimes I will punch a larger hole in the conveyer belting and use a steel sleeve and bolt my targets to the belting through the sleeves.
    I usually use self locking nuts and leave them loose so the steel target can
    " ring " when hit.
    Old firehose also works well to hang steel from.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I use 2x4's and sawhorse brackets to basically make a tall, wide sawhorse. I only have a 16" gong (from Bobcat :ingo:) and I do hang it with two short lengths of heavy chain. I've only had to replace one length of chain. I bought a couple of extra lengths (they're only a little over a foot long) and keep them and a couple of spare bolts and nuts in my range bag. The 2x4's are kind of "self-healing" but when they do need replaced they're cheap. I made my crossmember 4' long which helps reduce the wear and tear on the legs from stray rounds and bullet splatter. Whole thing sets up and breaks down easily so I can throw it in the back of my car to take to the range. The chain and bolts allow for a nice loud ring and it swings freely.

Here's a pic of it before I lengthened the crossmember to 4'.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom