• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gunsmiff12B

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 13, 2016
    South bend
    I have a sten mk3 kit, that I have been sitting on for a while, and haven't built one yet. I've been looking for barrels on a budget and found one for $60 for a sten mk1 does anyone know if there's any major differences between the two barrels at all?

Thanks in advance

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I have built 3 Sten's. So I know a bit about them. The Mark 3 barrel is a different beast. The Mark 1 barrel has a threaded trunnion for a removable barrel.

This is where you want to get your parts: Indianapolis Ordnance - STEN MK3 They are great to deal with and there kit works.

If you have any questions just yell. If you search the forum you will find a few builds I have posted with pictures. They are a fun build and a really cool piece of WW2 history.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Unless you are a really skilled machinist you are going to need someones semi auto modified bolt. IO is the only company that I know that is still offering a semi auto bolt setup. Their setup has the best track record. You also have to use a certain number of compliant parts in your build too. You are building a legal gun right??

Some times there is no need to reinvent the wheel if the stuff it available. If you are machining your own bolt please share the build with the forum. It would make an awesome thread for the forum.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    A MK1 thats a rare sten! 1911ly pretty much has you pointed in the right direction ... I used Indianapolis ordnance for my MKIII build bolt/tube/barrel.... the mods to the bolt are quite simple however its so hard (unless your bolt is bronze) to machine its next to impossible to drill it for a firing pin the striker assemble is probably worth picking up

Gunsmiff12B

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 13, 2016
    South bend
    Cool, thanks for all the information, don't have access to a machine shop anymore, so it looks like I'm going to let this go back to the parts bin in the garage for now

Top Bottom