• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dybber

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2012
    South side Indy
    I searched and didn't find a related thread.
    I wanted to share am interesting mini-series based on a Stephen King book "Under the Dome." I had never heard of it until recently.
    In short, a mysterious clear indestructible dome suddenly appears over a small town and everyone is trapped. The most interesting thing to watch is the survival and more importantly the need for preps to protect oneself and family.

Echelon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    I like the show, the initial episodes of the first season seemed like they put a good survivalist spin on the show, but it has turned fairly sci-fi IMO.
    Still a good series though!

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Spoiler alert!!!!!!

It will be interesting to see how CBS continues the show since Mr. King never finished the novel.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Thank you for the update. When the show started I was told that King didn't finish it. Guess I was told wrong.
    It was a VERY "Stephen King" ending to the book. I am sure the series will end differently. I still watch the show because the show is so different than the book.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Every problem they come up against gets solved in a totally deus ex machine manner. Food shortage? Widow of old dead survivalist has enough food to feed everyone in perpetuity. The dome's "pores" are getting clogged with dust such that everyone's gonna suffocate? Spray a fire hose into a wind mill to filter the dust out of the air. Skel of a sheriff been killin' anyone who threatens his power and he's about to get hung. Everyone drops unconscious so no one can throw the lever.

Meh.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Not much of a Steven King reader, my son says the the Century would work for Roland Deschain. I had to Google that to find out what he was talking about.:)

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Every problem they come up against gets solved in a totally deus ex machine manner. Food shortage? Widow of old dead survivalist has enough food to feed everyone in perpetuity. The dome's "pores" are getting clogged with dust such that everyone's gonna suffocate? Spray a fire hose into a wind mill to filter the dust out of the air. Skel of a sheriff been killin' anyone who threatens his power and he's about to get hung. Everyone drops unconscious so no one can throw the lever.

Meh.

But, that's pretty much the point of the show. The Dome = deus ex machina
    In this case it really isn't just an excuse or a literary device to explain away something, it is integral to the story.

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    Read the book. I dont care for the show because I have read the book

I downloaded season 1 and enjoyed watching it. Then I read the book. I can't watch the new season. Makes me wonder if the producers were introduced to the story by a 3rd grader's retelling of it, then filled in the blanks themselves.

Echelon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Steven King is credited as the writer of 20 episodes so far. Steven Spielberg is Executive Producer.

Steven King is quoted as saying: "Under The Dome the novel and Under the Dome the TV series should be regarded as two separate things" since the book only took place over a one week period.

Top Bottom