• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Erick46590

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    X
    what schooling is required for becoming a local police officer? I live in warsaw, Indiana and if anyone on here is a police officer if you can help me it would be much appreciated, thanks.

Erick46590

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    X
    and honestly, there really are some GOOD police officers. I also understand that some of them are hot-headed young guys that think they're all-powerful since they have a badge. and besides, wouldnt you want a level-headed cop who likes firearms as much as you and realizes that it doesnt automatically mean you're a criminal?

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    :popcorn: i'm just gonna sit right over here and have a snack.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    what schooling is required for becoming a local police officer? I live in warsaw, Indiana and if anyone on here is a police officer if you can help me it would be much appreciated, thanks.
    Does your local PD have a reserve officer program? That would be a good way to get some experience and see whether it's for you or not.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    in all seriousness though, if anyone has any info on this topic it would be much appreciated.

a high school diploma or GED is sufficient schooling. A lil bit of college helps, but certainly isn't a requirement. And if you speak some sort of cohesive Spanish, you will be a very attractive candidate.

Erick46590

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    X
    I'm 18. I was also wondering if 21 was a requirement or not. I really hope not because I can already legally carry a firearm. And how does the police academy work? and do i need to take any criminal justice classes or anything?

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    You have to be 21 to be an officer in Indiana. The academy is like combining grad school and boot camp. College isn't a requirement for most departments but it doesn't hurt. Some depts pay you more for having a degree.

Erick46590

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    X
    any idea on the locations of academies near the warsaw area? and do you know how long the academy takes? and thanks for the info btw.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Check the agency websites for what the minimum requirements are for that department, if it's not posted make a phone call (non emergency number during day shift M-F) and ask to speak to someone about hiring processes or recruiting. Requirements vary, but just about every department is looking for the best qualified applicants they can get out of each hiring process that exceed those requirements. Accredited education and good experience will work toward putting you ahead of the pack.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    a high school diploma or GED is sufficient schooling. A lil bit of college helps, but certainly isn't a requirement. And if you speak some sort of cohesive Spanish, you will be a very attractive candidate.

You have to be 21 to be an officer in Indiana. The academy is like combining grad school and boot camp. College isn't a requirement for most departments but it doesn't hurt. Some depts pay you more for having a degree.

You know what they are really saying is any moron can become a cop.

I keed, I keed!

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    any idea on the locations of academies near the warsaw area? and do you know how long the academy takes? and thanks for the info btw.

The only academies I know of are the Indiana Law Enforcement Academy (ILEA) at Plainfield which is where 90% of LEOs in the state train, IMPD has it's own academy and IU Bloomington has an academy.
    You must be hired by a department before you can go through the academy. For most departments, the timeline is; hiring process, appointment, academy, field training and finally you hit the streets. State law says you must attend the academy within the first year of employment with an agency. Sometimes there is a gap between hire date and academy start date, that gap usually is filled with a period of field training within your department. It used to be that you could pay your own way and attend ILEA on your own but I believe that is no longer the case (although I could be wrong on this one).
    IIRC, the ILEA basic academy is 16 weeks (longer for State Police). IMPD's academy is 24 weeks and I am not sure about IU Bloomington.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    Having a four year degree will make you more desirable to the higher paying departments! plus will put you in line for the better jobs in that department!

at a time when there are far more people looking for a job in law enforcement than there are jobs for them, Departments will hire the person with a four year degree over the one with a two year or less. You are at the rite age to jump in with both feet and go for the four year degree, by the time you graduate you will be at the right age to hire, and in the meen time you could get in an reserve program while you are in college! Hope this helps!

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana

Are you wanting to be with the city or county? Do you have any contacts with either?

and honestly, there really are some GOOD police officers. I also understand that some of them are hot-headed young guys that think they're all-powerful since they have a badge. and besides, wouldnt you want a level-headed cop who likes firearms as much as you and realizes that it doesnt automatically mean you're a criminal?

I personally know a couple really good Warsaw PD guys (know a couple really good county and state cops too, not from the Warsaw area though). I also have met a few that are the hot-headed type (no, I've never been in trouble...not even a non-moving violation on my record).

ILEA: Home, info on the Academy. i know the Warsaw PD website has an ask a cop link and they also have phone number and email address. I hear they will be needing a school resource officer here pretty soon.

Top Bottom