• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • infidel15

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2012
    The recent standoff in Sellersburg that required SWAT got me wondering. What are the steps to becoming a SWAT team member? Thank you.

MPH

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    <~NOT a 'Baker' unit
    Each agency requires a minimum of time on the Dept before applying for a SWAT opening, you cannot join a PD without this time on, along with a record of good service and your history is compared with other applicants. On applying, there are physical and written tests, and upon successful completion of these, a 2 week assessment program.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Each agency requires a minimum of time on the Dept before applying for a SWAT opening, you cannot join a PD without this time on, along with a record of good service and your history is compared with other applicants. On applying, there are physical and written tests, and upon successful completion of these, a 2 week assessment program.

This. IMPD requires 2 years on, and you have to see a department psychologist as well as the other testing.

MPH

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    <~NOT a 'Baker' unit
    You have to hate The Constitution and perform a certain number of verified rights violations of the innocent public before being considered.

Odd..I have several friends on our SWAT team and none of them hate the Constitution or have violated any of the innocent public, as you opine.

OP, hopefully that helps. And they must have lowered the time on requirement for IMPD. It used to be 3 years.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I think Gabriel forgot his purple...or its broke.

You also have to possess the desire to stand around doing nothing for long periods of time in sweltering heat, driving rain and freezing cold while wearing copious gear. You must have no personal life to get in the way of being on-call every minute of the year.

I love the SWAT guys, but it's not for me..... Good luck in pursuing your dreams if that's what you really want.

Taylorz71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Central IN
    You have to hate The Constitution and perform a certain number of verified rights violations of the innocent public before being considered.

Maybe some places, but not in Boone County. Sheriff Ken Campbell is pro US Constitution- 100%. Our SRT is comprised of several of the departments in the county and everyone that I know is pro Constitution Bill of Rights.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    You also have to possess the desire to stand around doing nothing for long periods of time in sweltering heat, driving rain and freezing cold while wearing copious gear. You must have no personal life to get in the way of being on-call every minute of the year.

Oh come on, it's not that bad. Just read down this list I've compiled of all of the benefits you get for being on the team:

See? It's all worth it. :D

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I've been at it for 10.5 years now. Just keep in mind that you don't get all those benefits on the first day, it takes awhile.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Yeah, 10.5 years of hating the constitution and violating citizens with rights and so forth!

'Murrica

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Some people aren't getting your sarcasm.

h5A541D29

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom