• ...and so much more!
  • A. Ramon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    NE Indiana
    Evening All,

Recently purchased a Stevens 887 .22 Rifle. Only $80. Whelp I started to take it apart and I figured it needed a very good cleaning. Whelp as luck would have it I can't get it back together again. I am having some issues with getting the supply tube back to where it would feed the chamber. I can get It back together, dry fire it, then it is locked up again. I can't find any good youtube videos on assembly/disassembly. Any Ideas? Anyone local that could offers any tips or pointers? Didn't pay that much for the rifle and not really wanting to take it to a gun shop.

Any assistance?

A. Ramon

TheEngineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Down South
    Remove the spring loaded supply rod from the magazine tube and then try and work the action...the bolt on my 87B will not budge with the loading rod in, the metal tip at the end of the spring extends over the lifter and blocks it from moving up into the loading chamber.

moosehead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Indianapolis
    It's funny, I was just working on a variant of this rifle yesterday. Also a jamming issue. If I hadn't given the rifle back to my buddy, I would have taken some pics for you. All of the stuff I'm going to go through were specific to his issue, and without seeing it in person, I can't tell you whether or not it will work for you.

The lifter was failing to raise the rounds to load. This was caused by his error. When we was putting the action back in the stock, he really tightened the screw down. Unfortunately, the magazine guide is stamped metal, so he deformed it. I opened it up a little, and the lifter started bring the round up.

Then the rounds weren't coming straight up. They were always headed left, and failed to chamber. The magazine guide has a couple of metal tabs on the back. make sure they're square. One of his was pushed back so the rounds weren't coming straight up. A couple of light taps with a hammer and punch brought everything back into alignment. Little taps are better than big taps. it's sheet metal, so the more you move it back and forth, the better chance you have of breaking a tab off.

Cleaning was huge.

As far as assembly, I had better luck attaching the magazine tube to the barrel, then putting the magazine guide on. You've got to hold the lifter up while you're sliding it in, but that worked best for me.

Good luck.

A. Ramon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    NE Indiana
    Whelp, after several more attempts still no working correctly. Thanks for all the help guys n gals. I am sure its something simple I am over looking. It'll be taken to the gun shop by weeks end.

Top Bottom