• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shift Zombie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    I picked this up on a wim, likely due to some form of gun industry mind control. . .Or my desire for a PDW that was effective and reliable. Ive always had a propensity for bizarro, fringe items to feel special, loved, and the AUG seemed to fit the bill. 1000 rounds of 55 and 62g mixed brass and Ive experienced zero malfunctions. It has never been cleaned and I dont plan on cleaning it until after I run it through a carbine class later in February. Accuracy has, imo, been stellar. I’m considering picking up a 5x optic and a dot to replace the 3x thats currently mounted. Its certainly capable of making tight groups. Simulated distance targets aren’t a comparison for actual range. So, I will update this when I get the opportunity to camp out somewhere with real distance. All magazines, 30 and 42 standard capacity, function flawlessly. Some nit picking; Sling mounting is a bit of a pain. Two point gets in the way of the charging handle, and a single point drops a bit too low imo. I might mount a QD point at the very end of the rail to see if that works better. It also needs a shell deflector. The stock quickly became marred from ejecting spent brass. Ive placed some duct tape on the spot and its taken care of the issue until the Corvus parts turn up again. Overall, I quite satisfied. Next test is running garbage steel cased ammo. Nutnfancy whined his didn’t work with it. . .we’ll see. . .

Last edited:

smythe012

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.3%
    147   1   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Have you had time behind a X95 as well? I’m interested in how they compare. I’ve watched too many videos on the YouTubes and read a lot that is all over the board.

What made you choose the AUG mag version over NATO?

Shift Zombie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    Have you had time behind a X95 as well? I’m interested in how they compare. I’ve watched too many videos on the YouTubes and read a lot that is all over the board.

What made you choose the AUG mag version over NATO?

This is my first go at a bullpup. The standard AUG has a couple perks over the NATO. Namely a bolt release right above the magazine and the trigger bar is full length on both sides. The NATO only uses one full leg on the trigger bar, making the trigger less smooth and generally more crappy than usual and lacks the bolt release. That was redundant. . .IMO the AUG has an impeccable track record of reliability, why would I want to mess with a proven formula just to use AR mags? That’s just the way I look at it

Shift Zombie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    I put 100 rounds of ~7 year old steel cased bimetal tip Tula down the pipe today. I used both a 42 round and 30 round magazine loaded to capacity and experienced zero malfunctions of any kind. There was a ton of muzzle flash, and it smelled awful, but it fired and ejected the casings with boring reliability. I used the standard gas pressure setting. The 42 round magazine started to get a little sticky towards the very end of loading to capacity. I imagine the cases were rubbing together and causing friction. I could see, if the ammo were wet or moist it may cause a failure to feed. Maybe I’ll try it at the event later this month to see if I can replicate the issue. Besides that, it seemed to group high right, but that could’ve just been me. . .

Attachments

• C5C0EF79-E72B-44D5-BC89-CB5D7EAC53C5.jpeg
      C5C0EF79-E72B-44D5-BC89-CB5D7EAC53C5.jpeg
      589.2 KB · Views: 9

Shift Zombie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    I brought it out to a carbine class yesterday and put another ~500 rounds through the AUG bringing it to a total of 2k so far. It, the ammo, and magazines got wet, nasty, snowy, icy, and moist. The only malfunctions experienced were user induced. I learned a lot about the rifle from the class. Dont f#ck with the charging handle when you drop it, it will shot stroke and cause a malfunction. Load mags down to 28 so they seat properly when the chamber is loaded on a dropped bolt. Tula steel fed and fired without issue even when the ammo and magazines were wet while using the standard gas pressure setting. There were some induced malfunction drills where one of the shell casings managed to face plant into the front of the ejection port and bury itself into the polymer. Had to use a knife to clear it. The rifle still hasn’t been cleaned, I’m going to let it go further and see what happens. Oh, and definitely need to install a QD point for the sling on the back of the rail, the current attachment point is not optimal for transitioning to a secondary without an exaggerated sweep to the rear. Without the sweep, the c@ck shots were a real thing.

Shift Zombie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    Finally got around to installing a QD point on the very rear of the top rail. It works out great, especially while wearing a plate carrier. The rifle sits nice and tight around my chest box, no c@ck shots even without the sweep, sweeping is generally unneeded when transitioning to a secondary now. Most surprised that it doesn’t interfere with the optic at all. I’ve been playing with the idea of mounting my EOTech all the way up and adding a 5x magnifier. . .it would make this rifle a bit heavier. . .idk yet. . .anyway, gunpron

Attachments

• 236A602B-068A-4E71-A549-058B9478ECBC.jpeg
      236A602B-068A-4E71-A549-058B9478ECBC.jpeg
      406.4 KB · Views: 8

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    Great thread, thank you!
    Any thoughts on having one set up with the original type optic? I always sort of admired it.

I knew a guy who had an AUG and put an ACOG on it. Really unholy combination. Couldn't get his head and eye relief natural on the rifle it seemed.

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    Great thread, thank you!
    Any thoughts on having one set up with the original type optic? I always sort of admired it.

I knew a guy who had an AUG and put an ACOG on it. Really unholy combination. Couldn't get his head and eye relief natural on the rifle it seemed.

I'm running a TA11 on mine based on some feedback here from folks regarding the TA31. It's quite comfortable where it currently sits on the rail.

ibCOYdoh.jpeg

Would love to grab a Steyr 1.5x or 3x tactical pickle, but I think that's more for nostalgia than practicality. They are pricey as hell, and if something goes wrong you have to remove the entire rail. The benefit of a QD optic is huge.

@Shift Zombie great reporting so far. I may have missed it, but have you or are you considering a shell deflector?

Shift Zombie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    Great thread, thank you!

I think they’re cool, and you can get them with more rail space which is nice, but they’re expensive and non illuminated. There are better options imo.

I'm running a TA11 on mine based on some feedback here from folks regarding the TA31. It's quite comfortable where it currently sits on the rail.

ibCOYdoh.jpeg

Would love to grab a Steyr 1.5x or 3x tactical pickle, but I think that's more for nostalgia than practicality. They are pricey as hell, and if something goes wrong you have to remove the entire rail. The benefit of a QD optic is huge.

@Shift Zombie great reporting so far. I may have missed it, but have you or are you considering a shell deflector?

Yeah, absolutely. The shell deflector is on the top of my list when it becomes available from Corvus again. I haven’t been able to find stock since I picked the rifle up. Steyr‘s website lists that they have the left handed one but, last I checked, they aren’t taking web orders. Further, I dont know what the difference is between the left and right side deflector. You would think they could be used for either side. I attempted to shoulder swap at the carbine class I went too and ate brass even while trying to keep my head out of the way.

Are you running a wire for your light? If so, how do you have it set up?

Shift Zombie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    No wire. I'm able to manipulate the light with my right thumb while my right index finger is on the trigger.

I’ll have to try that tonight. I like having the intermittent switch on the handle but it’s not optimal. TFB had a cool video with Steyr US where they show how to clear a double feed by popping the barrel and smacking it back down a couple times. Pretty nifty feature. I’d like to be able to do that but the cable makes it a bit difficult :D

crosse

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2015
    PNW
    I picked this up on a wim, likely due to some form of gun industry mind control. . .Or my desire for a PDW that was effective and reliable. Ive always had a propensity for bizarro, fringe items to feel special, loved, and the AUG seemed to fit the bill. 1000 rounds of 55 and 62g mixed brass and Ive experienced zero malfunctions. It has never been cleaned and I dont plan on cleaning it until after I run it through a carbine class later in February. Accuracy has, imo, been stellar. I’m considering picking up a 5x optic and a dot to replace the 3x thats currently mounted. Its certainly capable of making tight groups. Simulated distance targets aren’t a comparison for actual range. So, I will update this when I get the opportunity to camp out somewhere with real distance. All magazines, 30 and 42 standard capacity, function flawlessly. Some nit picking; Sling mounting is a bit of a pain. Two point gets in the way of the charging handle, and a single point drops a bit too low imo. I might mount a QD point at the very end of the rail to see if that works better. It also needs a shell deflector. The stock quickly became marred from ejecting spent brass. Ive placed some duct tape on the spot and its taken care of the issue until the Corvus parts turn up again. Overall, I quite satisfied. Next test is running garbage steel cased ammo. Nutnfancy whined his didn’t work with it. . .we’ll see. . .
    beware of two aug things. 1) Melted slings on exposed barrel. 2) slamming full mags into the gun may result into popping a round or two thru the ejection port which....could cause a jam. tip: try loop velcro strip instead of duct tape. It'll be prettier and last longer.

Shift Zombie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    beware of two aug things. 1) Melted slings on exposed barrel. 2) slamming full mags into the gun may result into popping a round or two thru the ejection port which....could cause a jam. tip: try loop velcro strip instead of duct tape. It'll be prettier and last longer.

I’m running single point off the back of the rail and have definitely already done tip #2. I guess I could mount a patch right there :D could be cool

crosse

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2015
    PNW
    I’m running single point off the back of the rail and have definitely already done tip #2. I guess I could mount a patch right there :D could be cool
    Yea no one told me about the Steyr AUG quirks before I bought mine. They're interesting. Oh also keep an eye on your magazine. During training, I hopped over an obstacle and the mag release hit it just right and I didn't notice until I was like 30 yards from my mag. Since its tucked away behind your normal workspace it's easy to lose track if it's still there.

Patched

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 4, 2021
    Lake County
    Thanks ShiftZombie for your review and feedback - it was enough to tip me over the edge. More importantly, I changed from wanting a Stanag version to the AUG magazine version - the better trigger and bolt release are worth having for me. I did have some follow up questions for you and others with AUGs:

A couple of pics show a white light mounted pretty far back on the firearm - does this introduce any weird shadows?

Have you tried Magpul's AUG mags?

Do you feel the "SWAT" model of the AUG showcased by Steyr at IWA 2022 (and covered by James Reeves of TFB) address any perceived AUG shortcomings based on your hands on experience?

Thanks

Shift Zombie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    Thanks ShiftZombie for your review and feedback - it was enough to tip me over the edge. More importantly, I changed from wanting a Stanag version to the AUG magazine version - the better trigger and bolt release are worth having for me. I did have some follow up questions for you and others with AUGs:

A couple of pics show a white light mounted pretty far back on the firearm - does this introduce any weird shadows?

Have you tried Magpul's AUG mags?

Do you feel the "SWAT" model of the AUG showcased by Steyr at IWA 2022 (and covered by James Reeves of TFB) address any perceived AUG shortcomings based on your hands on experience?

Thanks

I haven’t really noticed any abnormal shadows cast by the light mounting. You’re obviously going to have less on the opposite side of the rifle.

I’ve not tried the Magpul mags, yet.

I didn’t know a “SWAT” model existed till you mentioned it. After tubing it, I would have purchased that model if it was available at the time for sure. More rail space, built in BUS, factory installed shell deflector.

Top Bottom