• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    The Steyr M-series pistols never really went anywhere. Steyr's biggest problem over the years has been keeping a reliable US importer (or manufacturing partner, in the case of the late Sabre Defence).

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Did Gaston Glock have beginnings with the Steyr company? I don't want to bother looking it up at the moment, but I seem to recall a model that came out shortly after the G17 was introduced that had similar features.

I don't know anyone personally that I'd call a Steyr collector, but I wouldn't doubt that some people just like uncommon firearms.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Did Gaston Glock have beginnings with the Steyr company? I don't want to bother looking it up at the moment, but I seem to recall a model that came out shortly after the G17 was introduced that had similar features.

I don't know anyone personally that I'd call a Steyr collector, but I wouldn't doubt that some people just like uncommon firearms.

I had been told by a Glock training graduate that Glock started cold with G17 in response to the Austrian Army's search for a new weapon and that his previous work was with polymers (for example, the plastic magnetic seal around your refrigerator door) and not firearms. At least this is what they told him.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Steyr's legacy as an arms manufacturer predates almost all other arms manufacturers in the world... Beretta holding the title as Oldest On The Block.

Their newer "M" polymer pistols have been around for ~15 years or so. There have been a few minor tweeks / upgrades, but still basically the same.

Wilhelm Bubits was the main designer of the Steyr pistols. He left Glock to work for Steyr after Glock decided that they didn't want to advance their pistol design the way that Bubits wanted to.

So - the Steyr pistols are, essentially, what Glock pistols would be if they "grew up".

Bubits then went on to the UAE where he designed the ill-fated Caracal pistol (which have all been recalled due to safety issues...)

In the last 5 years or so, I've owned two different Steyr M9-A1 pistols. And I've enjoyed shooting both of them. Their frame ergonomics are great. Many don't like their stock trapezoidal sights - but they're fast to acquire. They're not meant for precision work, however. Get some more traditional sights if you're after tiny groups.

Spare parts are almost non-existant on the open market. Magazines are tricky to find as well.

-J-

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Steyr's legacy as an arms manufacturer predates almost all other arms manufacturers in the world... Beretta holding the title as Oldest On The Block.

Their newer "M" polymer pistols have been around for ~15 years or so. There have been a few minor tweeks / upgrades, but still basically the same.

Wilhelm Bubits was the main designer of the Steyr pistols. He left Glock to work for Steyr after Glock decided that they didn't want to advance their pistol design the way that Bubits wanted to.

So - the Steyr pistols are, essentially, what Glock pistols would be if they "grew up".

Bubits then went on to the UAE where he designed the ill-fated Caracal pistol (which have all been recalled due to safety issues...)

In the last 5 years or so, I've owned two different Steyr M9-A1 pistols. And I've enjoyed shooting both of them. Their frame ergonomics are great. Many don't like their stock trapezoidal sights - but they're fast to acquire. They're not meant for precision work, however. Get some more traditional sights if you're after tiny groups.

Spare parts are almost non-existant on the open market. Magazines are tricky to find as well.

-J-
    Thanks.

Sand-Dragon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    LaPorte County
    Steyr's been around for awhile. It's my belief that they're more known for their rifles than anything else. I don't know about their pistols, but I see advertisements for their rifles all the time. Still, Sig Sauer, Glock, FN Herstal, and Heckler & Koch are European arms companies that produce much better made pistols, assault rifles, and sniper systems as far as I've read about and seen first hand.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I have two. An M40 & an M9-A1. The 9mm is back to being my daily carry. The PPQ is back in the safe. I shoot them better than anything else I've owned. Less muzzle flip quicker and more accurate follow up shots, better ergonomics. They have been pretty reliable but seem to need more initial break in than some other guns. Once they get 500-600 rounds out of them & you figure out what they like to eat, they smooth out and run well. The .40 hates Walmart WWB.

I've installed the Big Taco Delrin striker bushings in both. It smooths out a small hump in the trigger pull as the striker spring compresses. The striker is not fully cocked and is supposedly not storing enough energy to fire a round if something bad happens to the sear.

I have had no trouble at all finding mags. When I ordered the 9mm I asked the dealer if he had any extra mags, he did, I bought 3 or 4. I ordered a couple spare .40 mags from CDNN.

Holsters are hard to find so I've gone with custom leather & Kydex.

Top Bottom