• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • imp22b

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    Greensburg, IN
    I see STI 1911s all the time in competition (In person, TV, internetz, etc) but I hardly ever see them outside of competition. Am I missing something? Why aren't these more common in gun shops and for carry?

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    STI does make carry guns. Elmores Guns in Greenwood stocks STI 1911s. Last time I was at Elmores he had some new and used STI 1911s. If I remember correctly he had a used STI 38 super "Open" gun. For the price of them I personally think there are better 1911s that you get more bang for the buck. In most cases that I have seen you can build a better competition gun and be at or below the price of a factory STI competiton gun.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    STI does make carry guns. Elmores Guns in Greenwood stocks STI 1911s. Last time I was at Elmores he had some new and used STI 1911s. If I remember correctly he had a used STI 38 super "Open" gun. For the price of them I personally think there are better 1911s that you get more bang for the buck. In most cases that I have seen you can build a better competition gun and be at or below the price of a factory STI competiton gun.

How many STI 1911s have you owned? how many competitions have you been in?

They make ALOT of models, from the very inexpensive 1911 Spartan to the very expensive 2011 double stack guns.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    It's a question of price. You can purchase 3 or 4 Glocks or a couple of H&K's for the price of a tuned STI Edge.

CB45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Its a marketing deal. There are a lot of players in the defensive/CCW 1911 market.

There is only 1 "factory" manufacture putting out competition 1911/2011's, that is STI. Para Ordinance is out there, but they are not nearly as common due to rumors of reliability issues.

STI markets to the competition markets, that is thier bread and butter. Thier CCW & Defensive pistols are fine firearms, but they have a tough market to compete in. (Sprindfield, Colt, SIG, Kimber, RIA, Ed Brown, Wilson, Armscor, etc...)

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    How many STI 1911s have you owned? how many competitions have you been in?

They make ALOT of models, from the very inexpensive 1911 Spartan to the very expensive 2011 double stack guns.

Never shot a competition. Competition is something I plan on doing in 2014. Ill probably get my *** handed to me in single stack class but I shoot more for hobby. Never owned a STI. Held a few and shot 1 which was a Spartan. Almost bought a STI Lawman 5.0 at Elmores a few months ago but decided to have AllenM build me a Single Stack 1911.

Its a marketing deal. There are a lot of players in the defensive/CCW 1911 market.

There is only 1 "factory" manufacture putting out competition 1911/2011's, that is STI. Para Ordinance is out there, but they are not nearly as common due to rumors of reliability issues.

STI markets to the competition markets, that is thier bread and butter. Thier CCW & Defensive pistols are fine firearms, but they have a tough market to compete in. (Sprindfield, Colt, SIG, Kimber, RIA, Ed Brown, Wilson, Armscor, etc...)

This was what I was pointing out. The reason you dont see many people daily carrying a STI is because of the gun makers above you mentioned. The 1911 market is flooded with manufacturers. And most gun shops with the exception of Elmores and Indy Gun Club dont stock many high end 1911s.

Last edited:

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo

Actually, you are kind of wrong. SV also produces single stacks and double stacks.
    As far as competition driven 1911's (this is off of my head), the following companies make competition driven single stack guns: SV, STI, Para, Springfield, and Colt. I missed several, but those are the ones that pop into my head.
    As far as double stacks, 2011's, the main two you will see are SV and STI. SV>>STI in quality but at a much higher price. However, STI has supersaturated the market due to the overall cost. Also, there are several other companies now producing 2011 frames, such as Freedom Gun Works.
    Then you get into the semi custom and full custom setups...

I hate to preach something like this, but take a look at what everyone else is shooting, and go with that. It will likely result in a smaller headache and cheaper price tag.

CB45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Im really not. SV is more of a custom gun builder than a manufacturing company.

STI is the only competition focused 1911/2011 manufacturing company. They have a full line up of pistols and have a stocking dealer distribution system.

Does SV?

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    Im really not. SV is more of a custom gun builder than a manufacturing company.

STI is the only competition focused 1911/2011 manufacturing company. They have a full line up of pistols and have a stocking dealer distribution system.

Does SV?

SV does offer several pre-configurations (ie sight tracker), but you are correct that they do them more as a custom gun build, so you won't see them just sitting on a shelf somewhere. However, they do manufacture their own frames/grips.

http://www.sviguns.com/1500.php

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I see STI 1911s all the time in competition (In person, TV, internetz, etc) but I hardly ever see them outside of competition. Am I missing something? Why aren't these more common in gun shops and for carry?

The gun shop question is interesting. Whittakers picked them up last year and I don't recall going in there twice and seeing the same guns on the shelves so my assumption is that the guns sell fairly well, that is just an assumption though. Could be that they are a pain for more normal sized shops to deal with in regards to what they require for distribution.
    High capacity guns with 1911 triggers (i.e. 2011's) is their bread and butter I think, as another mentioned. Fans will talk about their customer service and support for the shooting sports. Rumor has it that patents which helped them get rolling with the 2011's have expired or will soon expire, so maybe we will see springfield or smith build the equivalent of a glock without the awful trigger, sloppy fitting, unsupported cases and weirdo grip angle (:) :stickpoke:).

CB45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    The 2011 patent expired a while ago. Phoenix Trinity is selling the frames that are pretty much replicas of the STI. Everyone I talk to says their frames are tighter tolerances then the STI frame. These have been on the market for almost a year.

Freedom Gunworks and Matt Cheeky have teamed up to make "improvements" to the STI design. I think a lot of them are cosmetic in nature. I am still unaware if these are on the market yet. I haven't seen or heard any guns with the "improved" frames.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    The 2011 patent expired a while ago. Phoenix Trinity is selling the frames that are pretty much replicas of the STI. Everyone I talk to says their frames are tighter tolerances then the STI frame. These have been on the market for almost a year.

Freedom Gunworks and Matt Cheeky have teamed up to make "improvements" to the STI design. I think a lot of them are cosmetic in nature. I am still unaware if these are on the market yet. I haven't seen or heard any guns with the "improved" frames.

They are selling/shipping the short dust cover frame ones the last time I heard from Matt which was a week or two ago.

Killion

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 11, 2013
    Indianapolis/warren
    They are selling/shipping the short dust cover frame ones the last time I heard from Matt which was a week or two ago.

This is correct, Matt just shipped me a short dustcover gun to try out. He will be sending me a long dust cover in a couple of weeks to shoot. I pick which one I like and send the other back. Free guns are awesome!

Top Bottom