• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosier_sully

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Sep 14, 2010
    Valparaiso
    I saw one of these in the local fun shop a couple of weeks ago. The guys behind the counter were talking alot of trash about it. Stuff like if CZ and Glock got together this is what would happen. One guy said that STI should stick to the 1911's. I figured it wouldn't hurt to give it a once over, so I asked to see it. I looked it over, dry fires it a couple of times then handed it back to the salesman. I was very impressed with the trigger reset. It reminded me of a 1911, really short. When I got home I immediately started to do some research on this gun. As it turns out the parent company Grand Power (hence the GP in the name) has been making these in their home country of Slovokia for a quite a while. Many pistol matches have been won in Europe with this pistol, they call it the K100. It uses a rotating barrel like the beretta PX4 and Stoeger Cougar with a much easier recoil system. STI is just the North American importer of this pistol. They tweaked it a little and changed the hammer on it. Needless to say I returned and bought the pistol without hesitation. It's only offered in 9mm, and it comes with two 17 round magazines. I can't wait to get to the range to try it out.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Gotta ask, as MSRP is never an indication of true price: What did you pay for that lovely gun? Also, I am assuming, due to the nature of the jerks at the shop, that it was an FFL transfer, not a purchase from that store? :D

drbarnes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Kokomo
    Gotta ask, as MSRP is never an indication of true price: What did you pay for that lovely gun? Also, I am assuming, due to the nature of the jerks at the shop, that it was an FFL transfer, not a purchase from that store? :D

Also curious about what one of these goes for, im lookin for a 9mm...

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Buy it now on gunbroker seems to be hovering around $660.00. STI has a great rep for reliability and accuracy, I wouldn't think they would risk that by putting their name on a gun that won't perform. I am looking forward to an in-depth range report including some good, known distance targets from a secure rest. I know a Ransom Rest test isn't likely but a good sandbag set-up can go far in showing this gun's potential.

I would likely be more interested in the compact version, the GP5

Last edited:

hoosier_sully

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Sep 14, 2010
    Valparaiso
    "What did you pay for that lovely gun? Also, I am assuming, due to the nature of the jerks at the shop, that it was an FFL transfer, not a purchase from that store?" :D

As for the first part $650.00 out the door. It WAS actually part of their inventory. Some people rescue animals, I rescue wayward firearms. It now has a nice home with lots of friends. I'm going to try to get to the range tomorrow. I'll post my results. In the meantime check out the parent company website Grand Power | News | K100 MK7 They have alot of neat stuff. I wish I could get one of the original hammers for this pistol. It looks like the Mk 7 will have interchangable backstraps like the M&P.

hoosier_sully

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Sep 14, 2010
    Valparaiso
    I got the chance to get to the range this morning. The pistol performed admirably. I didn't have a rest available, just shot normal. It's a very accurate pistol and hits to point of aim. The recoil feels slightly different. It's as if you can feel the barrel rotating in the pulse of the recoil. It's not bad, just not use to it. The recoil is very soft making follow up shots a breeze. The only thing I noticed that may be of concern is that when the slide comes into battery with a full magazine it seems that the recoil spring is a little weak. It feels like it wants to get hung up. Maybe it just needs a little time to get broken in. It's a great pistol and I am very happy with my purchase.

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    Dillon Precision included a very thorough review of the GP6 in the Sept. 2010 issue of their Blue Press catalog.

http://www.bridleandbit.net/ebooks/bluepress/bluepresssep10/sep10/object_files/main.swf (see pp. 10-12)

The author raved about the trigger of the gun. He also noted (and I confirmed through additional searches) that the gun can be carried cocked and locked.

Finally, Brazos Customs carries this gun for $596, plus shipping of $40 and whatever your dealer will charge you for the transfer.

I actually have been considering picking one of these up, though I want to wait until after the FNS-9 comes out. I love my Glock, but I am not married to it and the GP6 and the forthcoming FNS address some of the concerns I have.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2010
    Hollow log
    My GP6 gave me some grief today for the first time ever. Still very accurate and smooth shooting.

Mags started dropping free during fire, even after a solid slap. They audibly 'clicked' into place, and I could not pull them free. They felt very solid, but after about 10 round they would drop out.

Of course, it was well below freezing today and snowing heavily while shooting. It is possible the very low temperatures (20*F) were either effecting the spring, or solidifying any grease or oil that may be in the release mechanism.

I was also using very long nosed FMJ ammunition. Since the latch interacts solely with a small notch on the FRONT plane of the magazine body, the noses of the rounds could also be nudging at the latch under recoil.

I was also using gloves, so maybe they were putting some pressure on the release button, but I don't think this was the issue, as another shooter had the same problem with bare hands.

Shot an E-mail to STI with all the details. I will post their reply here when I get it.

Top Bottom