• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Ok so I picked up an open gun recently and am working on a 9mm major load now. The pistol came with 3x 140mm and 1x 170mm mags (STI tubes, dawson bases, grams guts, ss spacers). Currently, the 140 mags will hold 21rnds easily and can squeeze 22 in them. I have put a few hundred rounds through the pistol and mags are a little problematic sometimes (rounds get stuck side by side in a couple, slide locks back with 1 round in a couple, one is hard to load first couple rounds). I realize the slide lockback issue could be partially remedied by massaging the slide stop a little. I have read a bunch of threads on enos and looked at a couiple of the tutorials online for tuning mags (brazos, etc). So after a little background info......

My questions are....

1. Do I have enough mags to get started in open division? (I thought about ordering a couple extra tuned mags from brazos or dawsons)
    2. How many rounds should a "tuned" 140 and 170 with dawson/grams hold and still be reloadable?
    3. Should I just buy the Dawson tuning kit and roll my own or would I be better served to send them to a reputable "tuner" for service?

Last edited by a moderator:

praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    sorry for the screwed up post with the kryptic embedded text....tried to add a pic and now cant edit without locking up my browser. If a mod sees this and can lock or modify the thread, it would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:

praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    haha....guess my posting skills on ingo are as bad as my shooting skills!!!!!! here is the pic I was trying to post....have since added a different trigger and trying out a thumbrest

open.JPG

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    If this is helpful, Glock and Para-Ordnance magazines with Dawson basepads that take them to the 140 mm limit can hold 23 rounds. I would expect the same same (at least) from an STI mag and Dawson basepad.

praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Where did you pick that up?? Last week you were talking about an open gun...this week you have one!

Actually started asking some q's bout a gun that was on gunbroker a few weeks ago. Got a crazy good deal on it outside of gunbroker with mags, pouches, and holster so couldnt pass it up. Built by a builder on the west coast and not many rounds through it. It will be a good way for me to get into open without spending crazy money. Seems to shoot/function well with any of the loads I have tried through it. Just gotta get a good major load worked up now.

VinceU1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Indy
    1. Do I have enough mags to get started in open division? (I thought about ordering a couple extra tuned mags from brazos or dawsons)
    Yep, you've got enough. You'll use the 140's the most, but make sure the 170 runs.
    2. How many rounds should a "tuned" 140 and 170 with dawson/grams hold and still be reloadable?
    If you've got the Dawson +1 basepad than 21 is about right, if it's reloadable.
    3. Should I just buy the Dawson tuning kit and roll my own or would I be better served to send them to a reputable "tuner" for service?
    Buy the Dawson kit, watch the video, ask a metric ton of questions and learn to use it. You'll need the "tweaking" skills to keep them running right.
    There's a fair number of shooters running 9Major here in Indiana, ask questions about loads and lengths. Length is kinda important with 9Major.
    Keep a weather eye on your extractor, mine wore really fast and caused no end of problems (Thanks to Chris and Chad for help on that!)

praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Thanks a bunch for the input. I figured the mags would need some tuning attention from time to time from being dropped on the gravel etc. so far I have been running all my loads at 1.165 oal. Using HS-6 and autocomp so far starting at low loads and watching for pressure signs. I'm sure they are low in PF right now, but haven't had a chance to chrono yet because of the weather. I was also actually thinking of having a spare fitted and tuned extractor as part of my spares kit. Any opinions on type? I have heard a lot of good things about the aftecs but have zero experience with them. Thanks again for the input.

VinceU1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Indy
    Thanks a bunch for the input. I figured the mags would need some tuning attention from time to time from being dropped on the gravel etc. so far I have been running all my loads at 1.165 oal. Using HS-6 and autocomp so far starting at low loads and watching for pressure signs. I'm sure they are low in PF right now, but haven't had a chance to chrono yet because of the weather. I was also actually thinking of having a spare fitted and tuned extractor as part of my spares kit. Any opinions on type? I have heard a lot of good things about the aftecs but have zero experience with them. Thanks again for the input.
    I wound up getting an Aftec on my open gun. Last year at the Hoosier State I screwed up the one in the gun and the backup didn't want to work for 9Major. They were both STI extractors. In my backup gun (in .38SC I bought an Aftec and then had to "tune" it. Turned out the only thing I had to do was run a single spring and that took care of all the feeding problems I was having. They are pricey but they do work. So does a regular extractor if it's tuned correctly.
    As for loads, I've been running 7.1gr of WAC under 124gr MG JHP bullets. I'm running a full size gun with no poppel holes and am getting about a 173PF with that load. I'll be switching over to HS6 this year and am now putting different loads together for that powder. However, if you want all kinds of 9Major loads check out BEnos' site. That is a gold mine for 9Major loads.

flnt38

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    my superior firearms tuned mags for my sti tactical hold 20. I will have to check to see if they will hold 21. superior is another place to check for tuned mags. the owner knows sti guns and how to make them run. he put an aftec extractor in my tactical from the start and it has been flawless. shooters connection also sells his mags.on his competiton mags he sets up the followers to not lock the slide back usually but he can do them the other way to make it lock back as well. he uses dawson snl pads sti tubes and grams internals

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    my superior firearms tuned mags for my sti tactical hold 20. I will have to check to see if they will hold 21. superior is another place to check for tuned mags. the owner knows sti guns and how to make them run. he put an aftec extractor in my tactical from the start and it has been flawless. shooters connection also sells his mags.on his competiton mags he sets up the followers to not lock the slide back usually but he can do them the other way to make it lock back as well. he uses dawson snl pads sti tubes and grams internals

Is that a .40? 20 rounds isn't very good for a 140mm magazine in 9mm.

flnt38

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    no its a 9mm. it is setup as a training/ defensive gun though I do not know if it makes a difference or not. I bought it right before the scare last year to take advantage of the price of 9mm compared to .45 when taking classes and still get my reps on a 1911. in retrospect after 9mm got so hard to find I kinda wish I would have went with a .40 as I have seen .40 through the panic when there was no9mm.

flnt38

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    I went back and loaded my mags. I was wrong they will hold at least 22. I can get 23 in them but do not know if they will go in the gun as it is a the smiths getting tweaked to fit my hand better and a cerakote finish. will report back if it will go and work with 23 when it gets back which should be in a week or two. I also checked shooters connection and they where showing the 140 mm 40 mags but not the 9mm ones.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I went back and loaded my mags. I was wrong they will hold at least 22. I can get 23 in them but do not know if they will go in the gun as it is a the smiths getting tweaked to fit my hand better and a cerakote finish. will report back if it will go and work with 23 when it gets back which should be in a week or two. I also checked shooters connection and they where showing the 140 mm 40 mags but not the 9mm ones.

Whew! Okay, that makes sense!

Some of my Para P18.9 mags will hold 23, and some will only hold 22.

Top Bottom