• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Field dressing sticky?

• Total voters
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Anyone want to take the lead and share some pics along with tips of the trade as to how best to dress the various types of game afield in Indiana as a resource for people who are new to hunting x, y, or z?

If you think it would be useful participate in the poll.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I voted yes. While there are quite a few video and step by step guides out there already, it doesn't hurt to combine knowledge as everyone does it just a little bit different, and most of it isn't entirely obvious to the novice hunter.

Questions I've been asked:

1) Do I have to field dress my deer?

2) What is the best way to field dress my deer?

3) Do I need a knife with a gut hook? (also, what is the best knife)

4) What do I do with the guts?

5) I cut the stomache/bowels/etc, what do I do now?

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    You have to field dress any edible meat in the field. It cools the meat quicker for better taste. On a 50deg. day on deer, I shove a bag of ice in the chest cavity to help it cool quicker. On bucks, make sure to cut off the rear scent glands also, or it will change taste also.
    The deer Federal govt. guide on deer processing. Says that the animals must die instantly to have the best tasting meat. The longer it lives or suffers, the adrenaline kicks in and will completely change the taste of the meat. This is why for meat I never bow hunt. For a trophy I will use a bow, but not to eat. I could go on, but you get the basic idea.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Animals shot in places other than the lungs/heart will need to be processed differently, assuming you are able to get off a second shot, or even find them.

Spinal shots need to be treated differently as well.

awittmer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Batesville
    I voted yes for the sole reason that there are individuals who are wanting to get started hunting deer, that are unsure what to do after they track it and find it. I think it would be very beneficial

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    The deer Federal govt. guide on deer processing. Says that the animals must die instantly to have the best tasting meat. The longer it lives or suffers, the adrenaline kicks in and will completely change the taste of the meat.

I've heard just the opposite. Some say that if the deer drops dead on the spot, that blood will pool in the arteries and veins and make the meat taste different, and that you need to let the deer run to bleed out.

Who knows? :laugh:

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    You have to field dress any edible meat in the field. It cools the meat quicker for better taste. On a 50deg. day on deer, I shove a bag of ice in the chest cavity to help it cool quicker. On bucks, make sure to cut off the rear scent glands also, or it will change taste also.
    The deer Federal govt. guide on deer processing. Says that the animals must die instantly to have the best tasting meat. The longer it lives or suffers, the adrenaline kicks in and will completely change the taste of the meat. This is why for meat I never bow hunt. For a trophy I will use a bow, but not to eat. I could go on, but you get the basic idea.

I've heard just the opposite. Some say that if the deer drops dead on the spot, that blood will pool in the arteries and veins and make the meat taste different, and that you need to let the deer run to bleed out.

Who knows? :laugh:

I've killed them both ways....delicious no matter what. :D

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Field Dressing Deer

Most "strong-tasting" venison is caused by one thing, improper handling of the deer once it is dead. Most deer hunters are not aware that once the deer is dead it is no longer just a deer, but is now "meat." How that meat is handled determines whether it will be gourmet food or dog meat. Heat is the number one spoiler of meat. Therefore, it is necessary to cool the carcass quickly by immediately field dressing the deer. This is not too difficult of a task if done properly. After making sure the animal is dead you:

* TAKE YOUR TIME

*If it is as a bow kill, be cautious if you do not know where the broadhead is.

*Roll the animal onto its back.

*Starting at the sternum or breastbone, cut carefully towards the pelvis through the skin and thin wall of the body cavity. By inserting two fingers in the cut that will slide just ahead of and on each side of the knife blade, you can prevent puncturing the stomach or intestines.

*If your animal is a buck, make cuts on both sides of his penis all the way back to his anus. This will free the urine track. You may leave this attached to prevent any urinal flow that may contaminate the meat. If your animal is a doe, simply cutting away the milk glands is sufficient.

*Insert the tip of your knife next to the anus and cut completely around the anus. This will free up the end of the intestines.

*Rolling the deer onto each of it’s sides, you can then reach in to cut around the edges of the diaphragm separating it from the chest wall.

*You then cut the ribs off to the side of the breastbone by pulling up on your knife. Be careful how far you cut if you are planning on mounting your trophy.

A word of warning - NEVER pull the knife towards you. Always push the knife away from you.

*Reach up into the chest cavity and grasp the windpipe. Cut the windpipe in two ahead of where you are holding. Once the windpipe has been cut, start pulling on it towards the rear of the deer. You might have to use your knife to help free the organs as you pull.

*After pulling the organs free, turn the animal over on its belly and elevate the head if possible to allow drainage of blood.

*If the weather is warm, the deer needs to be hung in a controlled temperature cooler or butchered immediately. If the weather is cool (no more than 45øF) the deer can be hung and aged for up to a week out of the sun.

*The deer should be hung in a garage or shed to provide shade and keep the neighbor's dog away. A game bag and/or a liberal dose of pepper will help keep away flies.

joseywales7450

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Carmel
    cleaned my first deer 2 years ago and this is helpful because i had instruction the first time but now i tend to hunt alone. first deer i got, it was awfully warm out and against my better judgement allowed my dad to convince me to let it hang. deer went stiff and was in heat too long. meat didn't taste all that great. lesson learned. thanks for the posts!

raggedoutcummins77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2011
    morgantown in
    I have always heard that if it runs it will make the meat taste different and it will have a very game taste and the older the deer the differ it will be to put in the dresser I like to kill a nice doe

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    I almost filmed myself field dressing a large doe this morning, but didn't have my tripod with me. I also figured that there are plenty of field dressing videos on Youtube already. :)

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    Everyone is different.

I shot a nice 8 in WI a few years back, as it was quartering away from me. My 3006 bullet from 200 yards, entered his left hind quarter, and buried in his right shoulder. Funny thing, there was NO entrance wound, (plainly visible), and the bullet didn't exit.

After discerning I didn't scare it to death:D, my brothers-in-laws, who were there for moral support ONLY, came to find that all the organs between the entrance point, and bullet stopping point, were completely scrambled.

What an absolute mess to gut out, and once I started cutting into the cavity, it was an incredible mushy mess.

That being said, there are basics to stick to, but nearly every gut out is different.

Good luck.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have always heard that if it runs it will make the meat taste different and it will have a very game taste and the older the deer the differ it will be to put in the dresser I like to kill a nice doe

If I remember right when an animal is hit but does not drop on the spot it's adrenaline starts pumping or some other chemical and that affects the taste.

I hear the "butt-out" is great for removing intestines.

Top Bottom