• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    I remember buying handguns in Indiana years ago and if you had an LTCH you didn't need to wait. Has the instant check system just made that archaic or has it been eliminated as a perk?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    LTCH is from your State. The Federal Government is in charge of NICS. Permit or not, If the Feds say you are denied, put on hold, or the purchase can proceed, there is no state laws that can get around it.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    I have never had to wait but I had my LTCH since I was 18. My freind did not have to wait and he does not have a LTCH. Its not mandatory to wait. It is case on case basses by NICS.

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    It has been a while, but for a period of time I do believe that LTCH would get you out of the Brady check. Then the BATFEIEIO ruled that it no longer qualified.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    So what determines if there is a delay?

There are a number of things that could cause a delay and they do not inform the FFL holder as to the reason of the delay.

It could be similar name as someone else, past legal issues, anyrhing that requires more looking into etc...

If a person is always getting a delay they can request a UPIN that they can put on their 4473 forms to take care of the issue.

I have seen some people never get delayed, some people always get delayed, and others get delayed every few purchases.

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    I've never had to wait but have heard that if you have a common name, sometimes that can cause a delay. I have also been told if it bothers you much you can go to the NICS website and apply for the personal information pin, and that will usually eliminate the wait.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    I've never had to wait. I just fill out the paperwork swearing I'm not crazy or violent. They enter the info, it comes back good, they give me the gun, I give them money and we are done. Usually takes about 10 minutes.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    I've heard, and I have no way to confirm this or not, that it is best to put FULL information down on the form.

In other words, use your full middle name and not just an initial, and put down your SSN, even though it is optional. Supposedly this can head off those situations where there might be a similar name.

Sure..., there may be more than one James E Smith in Indiana, but how many James Englebert Smiths are there?

Top Bottom