• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Acraglass is not a particularly great product for bedding. It shrinks a lot, isn’t particularly durable, etc.

Great for fixing stock cracks and so forth, so I’m told.

I use Devcon 10110 for bedding, and System Three T88 for repairs. That said, I am making the move to MarineTex for bedding due to increased performance metrics over even the Devcon.

Your call. 10/22 is probably alright though. You using pillars?

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    It is not hard to do, but easy to screw it up your first time doing it. My first one was a mini-14, just because i didn't get real upset when I screwed it up. And I did. I have done better since....

For a truly professional job, take it to Jerry Johnson in Churubusco. The last job he did for me was a re-barrel. I got it back in 4 weeks. He is a second generation rifle builder and match shooter. He has built me a really nice lightweight 30.06 hunting rifle using a Mauser action. Plus lots of service rifle work. Garand and M1A stuff. He is an expert. Take it to him. Don't ship it.

Then for a truly old world custom rifle builder, Richard Claus just south of Garrett. He has banned me from his shop because I dropped a R700 receiver on his floor and chipped the epoxy coating. But he is absolutely the best anywhere in Northern Indiana. Hell, maybe the country. At least a 6 month wait. But truthfully, I never got the chance to ask before he kicked me out. I am still chagrined. Maybe if I bring donuts.......

PM me if you want phone numbers. Let Jerry do it for your factory rifle but make a time to meet Mr Claus. He really is, very quietly, a world reknown custom rifle builder. We are talking 10 grand rifles here....

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Acraglass is not a particularly great product for bedding. It shrinks a lot, isn’t particularly durable, etc.

I use Devcon 10110 for bedding, and System Three T88 for repairs. That said, I am making the move to MarineTex for bedding due to increased performance metrics over even the Devcon.

That's interesting on the Acraglass shrinkage. They claim it shrinks very little. Marketing. Go figure.

I just don't want to invest the $60+ for Devcon for such a tiny amount when in all reality isn't needed at the level of my competence. I just thought since I was adding a pillar, I'd tighten it up since it just has the one screw to hold the action in the stock.

On another note, it is harder to open up a barrel channel when you are using a tapered barrel! :)

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

Nat, how much Devcon would I need to bed the area in the rear of the action and the 2" for under the barrel? I found 1 oz tubes that are affordable. Would that be enough?

It's not the 10110 you mentioned. Would it work?

And which MarineTex product do you recommend?

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I liked Dexter Hysol Epoxy Patch.
    Had some from work, steel or aluminum filled, can't remember.
    Brand new but just past exp date, so they said "throw it away".
    Yeah, I did LOL

Have Acraglass and brown dye, unopened. Couple yrs old. Dunno how well it stores.

Top Bottom