• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DIM TIM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Stuck in Ohio
    I don't get to do it as often as I would like, but every time I go to a gun show...I buy a bit of ammo. Pistol and rifle mostly, but when I find a pretty good deal on shotgun shells, I get a few of them as well. Bricks of .22's are still not too bad, but my MBR is another story. :rolleyes:

If you shoot on a seamingly regular basis, then you can never have too much. When I go to the range, it's pretty easy to go through a hundred or more pistol, and at least fourty or more rifle.
    Not so much on the shotgun, but enough that I seem to always need another couple boxes.

The prices are still pretty high, but stock up on as much as you can, and as often as you can. :twocents:

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    If you shoot on a regular basis, then you can never have too much. When I go to the range, it's pretty easy to go through several hundred or more pistol, and at least five hundred center-fire rifle, and a thousand 22lr.

Not so much on the shotgun, but enough that I seem to always need another couple boxes. I know how it patterns and if it is still on target no sense in wasting ammo and tearing up the backstop.

The prices are still pretty high, but stock up on as much as you can, and as often as you can. :twocents:

Fixed that for you.

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    Try feeding my new LR308AP4..... Every time I pull the trigger I see 2 quarters fly out of the side.

Typical range trip is:
    200 7.62x51
    300 5.56
    240 .40
    500 - 1000 22lr depending on what I bring.
    5 00buck 12ga.

Your not practicing enough if your only using a hundred pistol and 40 or so rifle.

Almost forgot if I bring it out add about 50 7.62x54r Brass cased handloads not surplus.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    How are you liking your AP4? I've got a 308B that I'm falling in love with and thinking about an AP4 or 20" Classic as an excuse to buy more mags and ammo.

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    How are you liking your AP4? I've got a 308B that I'm falling in love with and thinking about an AP4 or 20" Classic as an excuse to buy more mags and ammo.

LOVE IT!!!!

The Pmags are better then the factory DPMS mags. After a little work with a file and stone the DPMS mags function 100% with no issues.

I will be replacing the removable carry handle and using Troy BUIS.

If I could find a nice free float quad rail it will be changed too.

It is fairly light.
    Super accurate out to the 220 yds I have been able to try.
    Functions flawlessly.
    I am thinking about changing out the buffer to a hydraulic unit, recoil is not too bad at all as it is a straight back recoil with little to no muzzle climb but if I could tame it slightly more it would improve my double taps. Right now close range >50yds. First round always right wear I point it, second round within 2 inches under rapid fire conditions. I know it is me reacting to the recoil and not the rifle. I just can't afford to train as much with it as I do with it's little brothers(M4geries).

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    DIM TIM- Don't let Andre get you down. Everyone has different resources for purchasing and different levels of interest for quantity of shooting/practice. If you get out and practice regularly, you are already ahead of 95% of the public.

About stocking up- The tactics and desires of the anti-2A people are sufficient justification for buying when you find deals. You might want to consider buying by the case. Just keep it dry and reasonably temperature-controlled and it will keep for decades.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Your not practicing enough if your only using a hundred pistol and 40 or so rifle.
    BS. If you have to shoot 1200 rounds a week to stay competent, you're doing it wrong. Sounds like the internet commandos are here again.

Tim, get the ammo when you can, and start setting a little aside for a single stage reloader. It'll allow to to shoot more for the same $$.

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    BS. If you have to shoot 1200 rounds a week to stay competent, you're doing it wrong. Sounds like the internet commandos are here again.

Tim, get the ammo when you can, and start setting a little aside for a single stage reloader. It'll allow to to shoot more for the same $$.

Who said a week???

Besides I could go and blast through 500 rounds of 22 pretty quick, I love shooting.

DIM TIM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Stuck in Ohio
    I just do what I can. Seems that I don't have as much cash as I'd like when I get a chance to buy ammo these days, but I'll do it as long as I can afford to do so.
    I also wish that I could get out and shoot a bit more. Most times it's with a cousin of mine, and it is usually one of two places...his new BOL, or the local sportsman's club where he is a member. Just glad that I can get out as much as I do.

To keep in somewhat good practice and form, I went out this past spring, and bought myself a nice .177 air rifle that spits them out at 1000 f.p.s.
    It doesn't have the recoil of my .22, but it is real close, and it is fairly accurate. A case in point...I recently took it along on a weekend trip to my cousins BOL, and had a great time plinking soda cans with my son, who took along his Daisy, Red Rider.

We were goofing with them, out to about 10 yds.

Then my cousin looks at me and says..." if you were hitting stuff over by the draw ( about 30 yds. away ), then you would be doing something."

SO...I grabbed a can, and walked over to the tree line, and stuck it on a branch about 5 ft. up, and walked back up to the deck to try it.
    He walked into the house a moment to get a drink, and missed my first attempt. My wife was sitting a couple of feet away in one of the deck chairs, and I nailed it on the first try :rockwoot:.......needless to say, she was impressed. When my cousin came back out a moment later and asked if I was going to try to hit it, I told him all about it, and said that I figured that he wouldn't believe me, but he could ask the wife. He knows that she wouldn't lie to him for me no matter what.....glad I had a reliable witness. :D

Something that he and I have discussed doing recently, is getting some good airsoft pistols that shoot the 6mm plastic pellets, and practicing some force on force training and tactics. He has one already that he got as a trade item, but wants to get another. I'd like to have one as well, and get one of the ones that matches my 1911 in size, weight, and even the slide, blowback feature as well. :cool:

We did a test with his, to see what the effect would be of being hit by one of the pellets. I was ok with being the test dummy so to speak, and he drilled me with a few point blank shots to the mid-section.
    There is a bit of a sting, but nothing that can't be tollerated. Eye protection would be a must, and a fill face shield like the guys that shoot paintballs would be best, to prevent a fluke shot up the nasal cavity. ;)

All of these taken as a whole should keep me good on muscle memory and accuracy.

I haven't tried them yet, but I hope to get some of the SHOOT-N-SEE style targets that have the day-glo colors under a black face, that show your impact site when the round hits the target. Sounds like it would help you to sight in your weapons rather quickly without the need for a spotter. These might be great for the air rifle, and living in the burbs like I do... I can practice in the back yard without the fear of the neighbors calling the cops. ;)

MerKWorK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Muncie
    Stop buying by the box and buy in bulk. Lots of good resources out there. I personally almost always buy by the 1000's. Saves money and you usually get all the same lot. Some vendors don't charge you tax or shipping. You just can't beat that. My personal favorite is AMMOMAN.COM d/b/a Discount Distributors check it out. Keeping your money in Indiana is good, but keeping your money in your wallet is better!

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Stop buying by the box and buy in bulk. Lots of good resources out there. I personally almost always buy by the 1000's. Saves money and you usually get all the same lot. Some vendors don't charge you tax or shipping. You just can't beat that. My personal favorite is AMMOMAN.COM d/b/a Discount Distributors check it out. Keeping your money in Indiana is good, but keeping your money in your wallet is better!

Repped for the Excellent link! :yesway: Just ordered a case of the Federal M855 green tips :ar15: at $.40 a round!

DIM TIM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Stuck in Ohio
    1000 at once would be great, but right at the moment I'm going to be doing good to buy a single spam can of a couple hundred on my next trip to our local gun show. Still, not too bad for me.:)

Top Bottom