Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    SouthWest Indiana
    nice review! :)

no caliper? but you have a scale. weigh the empty cans with lids. :D

(they look the same size)

so how do they arrive at the "weight" of 432 grams on the label ?

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Interesting, thanks Pamcake.

Usually I don't like store brand products however Meijer brand products usually rock.

I tried some Aldi brand veggies before, aside from being too salty, they seemed of lower quality.

Meijer seems to be on par with the big names and will go on sale for 25-33 cents per can. I buy them by the flat when they do.

Spinach is something I just can buy off brand. For some reason, inlcuding meijer brand, they all suck except del monte. Weird...

Anyway the secret in canned goods is buying enough to get you through to the next sale! ;)

IndianasFinest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Salem
    We buy the majority of our canned veggies from Aldi, and have been doing so for years. Some of there stuff is hit or miss, and we tend to stay away from those items, but there canned goods have been great !! Neat comparison, good job Pami :)

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I don't have much experience with corn, other than eating it:), but I did work in a large tomato canning factory. I believe food canning is about the same accross the board. There is good stuff and not so good stuff. The good stuff will have the best color, best natural flavor and be put in the best can. The not so good stuff will be uglier, smaller, less flavorful and be put in a cheaper can. At RedGold we produced Happy Harvest tomato products and they were definitely of lower quality than the name brand stuff.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    They may beat me in cost, but for taste, tin-can corn cannot compare to the flavor of the corn i freeze and can at home. I probably have them beat on nutritional value as well, but don't know how to prove it.

insidethebunker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2009
    North of Louisville
    Bottom-line Costs:
    DelMonte (@ $0.99): 0.357 cents per ounce of corn pieces
    ________(@ $0.79): 0.285 cents per ounce of corn pieces
    HappyHarvest (@ $0.79): 0.296 cents per ounce of corn pieces

I'm not sure if you've got a mistake there but Aldi corn is $0.49 at every Aldi I've been to in Southern Indiana and Louisville KY. Not $0.79. At $0.49 it's a no brainer for prepping.

Pamcake

Don't Tread On Me
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Franklin
    Anyway the secret in canned goods is buying enough to get you through to the next sale! ;)

Absolutely agree... dollar-cost averaging at its finest!

weigh the empty cans with lids. :D
    (they look the same size)
    so how do they arrive at the "weight" of 432 grams on the label ?
    Hmmm... I'm not connected to any food processing company to know how any of the brands come up with the "weight". Yes, the cans were the same height and diameter but they've long been thrown away! We can leave that for the next "study"...

I have nothing to add to this thread except to say that we have the same kitchen scale.
    You Rock!! Love that scale, don't you??
    I don't have much experience with corn, other than eating it:), but I did work in a large tomato canning factory. I believe food canning is about the same accross the board. There is good stuff and not so good stuff. The good stuff will have the best color, best natural flavor and be put in the best can. The not so good stuff will be uglier, smaller, less flavorful and be put in a cheaper can. At RedGold we produced Happy Harvest tomato products and they were definitely of lower quality than the name brand stuff.
    jd, I LOVE how you spell definitely correctly :):

Please clarify, which "brand name stuff" is the HappyHarvest inferior to? (RedGold or other National Brands)? Thanks! Also, both the Aldi website & the can photos say their fruits & veggies are "Grade A Fancy". Is there a better grade than that? I'm really glad we have an expert in our midst that KNOWS the real difference, being a cannery "insider" !!! :rockwoot:
    What brand(s) do YOU buy?
    They may beat me in cost, but for taste, tin-can corn cannot compare to the flavor of the corn i freeze and can at home. I probably have them beat on nutritional value as well, but don't know how to prove it.
    Hear, hear!!
    I'm not sure if you've got a mistake there but Aldi corn is $0.49 at every Aldi I've been to in Southern Indiana and Louisville KY. Not $0.79. At $0.49 it's a no brainer for prepping.
    If my price on the Aldi corn was wrong, then it is my mistake. I can't find my receipt to check it now. This was purchased at the Greenwood location.
    Agreed, at $0.49 is no-brainer.

Top Bottom