• What stock do you prefer?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    An AR cannot have a "folding" stock, as the recoil mechanism uses the stock for spring extension. It can have a collapsible stock, with the short spring and buffer. An AK has all the recoil mechanism within the rifle, so it can use any of the three. I have a side folder for mine. I have a couple of shotguns with side folders as well. I would use any of them folded only in a crisis situation; I would unfold it for use if possible.

A pure AR maybe (but then again, what defines an AR?) ... but there is at least one hybrid on the market with a folding/collapsible stock. There's a fine sample of one in the OP's possession. I was thinking that might be what prompted his question.

Al Zitta (ZM Weapons) developed the rifle before he sold it to Para Ordnance. They used to be called ZM LR-300 series rifles before changing over to the Para Tactical Target Rifle (TTR).

LRs.jpg

dscn0814.jpg

Last edited:

Newbomb92

Expert
    Rating - 88.5%
    23   3   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    NW Indiana
    A pure AR maybe (but then again, what defines an AR?) ... but there is at least one hybrid on the market with a folding/collapsible stock. There's a fine sample of one in the OP's possession. I was thinking that might be what prompted his question.

Thats why I mentioned the scar.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Folders are just FUN on everything!!
    ARs, AKs, MGs, Long Range and Shotguns. My favorite is the Folding Remington-1187.(try to figure that one out) :ar15:

Robinson Arms has some great working folding AR SBRs out there.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Can I trade in a star for a cookie? :D

So jediagh has a TTR? Care to give us a review??

Not quite correct. Jedi does have in his possession a TTR as he types this. However it does not belong to me. I lent someone my WASR-10 who wanted a family member of his to shoot it & since Jedi is on "vacation from the range (ie. NO MEET & SHOOTs = NO range time for Jedi) that INGO member in turn gave me his/her TTR in case the zombie EOTW occurred before I got my WASR-10 back.

The TTR has been in my PINK safe for the last few days. I just took it our right now in order to go pick up my baby (WASR) from said member's place.

So I can't really give you a review of it since I have not fired it and have no plans on firing it.

I can tell you the following:

1) It's all black & ugly! :D (I like wood on my rifles)
    2) It's a lot heavier than my WASR
    3) I'm not sure it would be wise to shot it with the folding stock folded. Seems like you would need a front grip to better shot it that way.
    4) With the folding stock extended it is a very solid/tight stock. It's not going to bend back into position.
    5) It's all black & ugly! :D Yes let me repeat that for all you black rifle lovers!
    6) It uses .223 or 5.56 not sure which one but I prefer something bigger (.308 or 7.62x39) for the zombies.

Even with the stock extended the overall length is small (@ the short end of the folded stock extended). I could see some applications where you would want it folded to save space but alas it's none of those that I can think of would fit my "line of thinking". My WARS is for when the zombies come so I don't see a need to "hide" my rifle. :)

Looks a lot more complicated to function/clean vs my WASR.

DISCLAIMER
    I do not own an AR & have only shoot a few at the NWI INGO MEET & SHOOTs. All my rifle firing has been on 10/22s and AKs so I'm not real comfortable with where stuff is on ARs.

-Jedi

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    For ARs, I like the collapsible, but for an AK, my side folder is my favorite. The side folder lets the rifle fit into a much smaller space and can be opened while I have a shooting grip.

blackbird1988

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Richmond, KY
    I have a Full A2 Butt stock on my Bushy with a 16" heavy barrel and a 4x10x40 bushnell w/bipod, a Magpul MOE Collapsable on my S&W lower/Delton upper w/XPS2-0 , a basic collapsable on the AR build in progress and a Tapco collapsable on my Saiga/AK. I like being able to adjust the stock for different shooting situations.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    My AR has a collapsable stock on it and I like it. My AK has a standard stock on it and I like it.

I like the collapsable on the AR so I can collapse it for transport in a shorter case. I like that I can choose what length I set it at for shooting. The standard stock on my AK has felt great since day one. It shoulders nicely and is very comfortable.

I don't really care for folding stocks.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    All of the above! I own a SCAR!

Does your SCAR look like this?
    FNM0111mb.png

Cause that looks very similar to the TTR that I had here today.

@WD and other NWI INGO
    Was it a SCAR in .308 that was at one of our shoots this past year?
    I recall shooting it and it had ZERO recoil!

-Jedi

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Does your SCAR look like this?
    FNM0111mb.png

Cause that looks very similar to the TTR that I had here today.

@WD and other NWI INGO
    Was it a SCAR in .308 that was at one of our shoots this past year?
    I recall shooting it and it had ZERO recoil!

-Jedi

No. The SCAR and the TTR are two different animals. The SCAR is a completely unique platform. The TTR is an AR hybrid ... if you stripped the upper receiver, it would look like any other AR upper. The SCAR would not.

Yes. It was a SCAR Heavy that you used at the M&S. It belonged to Turndandshoot4. Part of the recoil management (not all) was due to that fantastic comp from PWS. That whole platform is very impressive (I had the chance to try a SCAR Light later on) as far as the weight/recoil ratio. I'm sure it will not be the same but I plan on picking up one of those PWS comps for my AR.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    No. The SCAR and the TTR are two different animals. The SCAR is a completely unique platform. The TTR is an AR hybrid ... if you stripped the upper receiver, it would look like any other AR upper. The SCAR would not.

Yes. It was a SCAR Heavy that you used at the M&S. It belonged to Turndandshoot4. Part of the recoil management (not all) was due to that fantastic comp from PWS. That whole platform is very impressive (I had the chance to try a SCAR Light later on) as far as the weight/recoil ratio. I'm sure it will not be the same but I plan on picking up one of those PWS comps for my AR.

Look I know you are south of US-30 and as such a NWI Hillbilly but us Gettho folks don't understand that lingo. So what are you trying to say? PWS hu???

Got a link por please?:D

-Jedi

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have several AR based pieces. One long range dedicated (many coyote) with a Magpul
    adjustable stock and the others have collapsible stocks. They allow me to find the sweet spot for optics, store in smaller containers and move about in tight spaces.
    My AK/SKS was fixed.

Top Bottom