• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Likely a combination of my age, and personal preference, but I don't ever see plastic as being remotely comparable to beautifully grained wood.

Zephri

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Indianapolis, Northside.
    I love wood (insert pun here) on bolt guns and certain auto-loading rifles and carbines (think com-block whatever that means..), don't think I've ever had a bolt gun without a wood stock.

I enjoy plastic on certain platforms such as the AR-15s or shotguns.

Oh yeah, I don't baby my wood either! XD

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    For a fair weather fun gun I like highly figured walnut. But for a hunting gun that has to make it through some weather things are different.

Almost all plastic stocks are best melted back down into milk jugs. Of the few that aren't I'll take McMillan every time, usually a Classic or Sako Hunter pattern and lately with edge fill. Unless it's a boomer and then a sniper filled HTG is the ticket. Or a heavy, where an A5 is nice. I like some of what Manners does but I don't snuggle up to any of his patterns as well and his inlets are sometimes less perfect than McM. Brown Precision makes a solid stock if you are tripping over money and need to get rid of some.

I broke the only MPI stock I ever owned and after pawing through its remains I'll not have another.

B&C carbelites can sometimes be found on the used market for a right price, but for what they run new there are better options. Like laminate, which is hard to beat on a budget. It is stiff, and does OK against weather, and can be easily shaped for fit. Weight is its Achilles heel.

ZWolf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Wood stocks are mostly for looks, and looks don't do a whole lot. It's whatever feels right on the gun and what you're used to IMHO.
    Most of my guns have Choate synthetic stocks on them though because my dad worked there and that's what I'm used to.
    :twocents:

forkliftdave

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    madison
    I like the wood on my old guns. My newer ones have the synthetic. Accuracy will improve with a good aftermarket synthetic stock full floating but they can double the price you have in the gun

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    wood is nice...

chee3-1.jpg

Top Bottom