• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mitchell0481

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Crown point
    Curious about opinions of the Stoeger Coach guns. Anyone own or have any experience with them?

Cool looking, but limited. Slow reload, not really suited for any sport shooting. Home defense is fine as long as you stay on target and there aren't to many targets..... The double defense model would have the most options.

I prefer a tactical 870.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    For cheap doubles I much prefer 1950's or 60's 311's over a lot of the new crap. An affordable gun of 50 years ago is in general a better made gun then today's new Russian and Turkish doubles. The new guns give you choke tubes. You decide which is more important.

If you are planning on using it for HD then the only must have is Ejectors over Extractors. Same for running 100 rounds on clays. Extractors will wear you out. I think with Stoegers they have both options. Don't know, don't care but I suggest you know why you want the gun before you buy the gun.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Nothing wrong with them for what they are.

But, for what they are, they are comparatively heavy and expensive.

Would be cool to have from a nostalgic perspective, but a conventional pump is both lighter, less expensive, and has greater ammunition capacity.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    To me, one of the greatest advantages of a double barrel over a pump is you effectively have two guns in one. A broken firing pin or other problem is solved by pulling the other trigger.

With Stoegers, like most all single trigger doubles, the recoil of the first round resets the hammer for the a second shot. So if the first pull does not go boom, you have a heavy club. I prefer hammered doubles with two triggers for that reason.

pmorriso

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    Sometimes the best way to gain experience of why you would want it is get it and shoot it. This will enable you to figure out it's best practical application based on your ability with it. As long as you don't spend alot on it your investment could be low and should be able to get it back out when selling.

alan robert

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Indiana
    I have owned a Stoeger double trigger internal hammer 12 guage coach gun for years. It is rugged, reliable, and damn easy for anyone to pick up and operate.

Years ago, I sold this particular shotgun and regretted my choice, so I bought it back. Some things that work, should be kept. lol

It kicks like a mule with heavy 3" loads though. I put a slip on recoil pad and it helps a little with the heavy load kick and length of pull also.

Just my opinion, but I would not rely on a single trigger system double barrel for tough situations.

The Stoeger shoots anything I put in it, including slugs. Slug groups are not bad at 50 yards with just a gold bead sight for reference.

To each their own. Little old ladies have been stopping bad guys in the movies for years with double barrel shotguns. lol

Good enough for me and proof positive. lol Double barrel shotguns are Americana and part of our pioneer heritage.

Good luck with your choice.

Last edited:

JJP8153

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2012
    Marion, IN
    Curious about opinions of the Stoeger Coach guns. Anyone own or have any experience with them?

Double barrels are pretty cool and good for home defense in my opinion. Most people breaking into houses are trying to steal your Xbox, not get their head blown off. Launch them rounds through your living room and they'll run.

I will say though that the unmistakable sound of a pump shotgun being racked will put the fear of God in everyone. For that reason I have an 870 right next to the bed every night.

MickeyBlueEyes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    BFE, Indiana
    I bought a double hammered double triggered chines coach gun for the same reason stated earlier. Less malfunctions. It doesn't pop the shells out unless you remove the extractor, and drill a recess into the back of the extractor, and a recess into the extractor groove on the barrel. I put in a compression spring to pop them out and it doesn't have any problems now...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    With Stoegers, like most all single trigger doubles, the recoil of the first round resets the hammer for the a second shot. So if the first pull does not go boom, you have a heavy club. I prefer hammered doubles with two triggers for that reason.

Very valid point and something I didnt realize I hadnt thought about

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    I have a Mossey 500 field/ deer combo for hunting. Im looking at the Stoeger more for the fun of the shoot. Maybe keep it by the bed for the quick defense grab. But mostly because Im a fan of the old west look in a gun that isnt going to be my daily carry but I still want to have fun with.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    My stoeger coachgun does have double triggers.

My Stoeger Coach Gun has double triggers too.

Seems as if the racking the pump gun to scare off intruders is pretty old outdated thinking. You know, the same as thinking that a shot gun pattern will cover a doorway at normal room distances. :dunno:

Top Bottom