Stolen gun brought in for repair! (Yup, Dons.)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    Yep. Closed it after a murder in his store. Two fourteen year olds and a 28 year old killed the clerk. Timothy Greer (28) still in Prison. CHuck McAlhaney(14) deceased - Clayton Holmes (14) in witness protection for other subsequent criminal acts. Nice huh? The he sells the shop to the city of greenwood for a training range.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I just called about the two tone SS glock ONLY because I have really been wanting one and they are hard to get, ok I never even see one in a store untill now......

Hard to get?

Your Glock slide + $50 + phone call to Cory at Nash Gunwerx = your two-tone Glock, done in just a couple of days.

Nash Gunwerx-Custom Grip Stippling and Firearm Coating Services

Ask me how I know Bobby! :D
    1zbb882.jpg

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/nash_gunwerx/13855-cory_s_latest_work.html

wetidlerjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2008
    TIPTON
    I do recall during the "car through the window" burglary aftermath that they showed Don's letter head (or something similar) on TV (or in the Star) and it showed a woman (last name "Davis") as president of the company. I think it had something to do with a reward. :dunno:

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Lets keep something realistic in perspective: One of the people in the OP story had a valid carry permit. Trying to sell a gun to the work program kid or working with him should be basis for taking his permit away. Also shows us how careful we must be, even on this board. With hoodlums getting more and more "intelligent", the person who buys your gun that only has a few posts could easily be buying it for a crime or a community gun. That or the gun you are selling could be stolen, you never know. I am always leery of someone who wants to buy my gun that only has 10 posts (or less) as I dont know them.

Perhaps it is time for each member to really begin their own "registration program" so they know who they sold that gun to. This is also important as the "reciept" from a sale or similar could be used to recover the gun in cases. I remember someone had a bunch of guns stolen from their home was in AAC with a VERY vague list of guns stolen. No serial numbers, some were just "Charter", no model name or number. This is critically important for folks to keep track of their numbers and get them written down somewhere, the more official the better (reciepts, trade information slips, etc..). This has certainly been an eye opener for me and I hope everyone else.

With that being said, Vern is now a "registration" state, count on filling out a paper (the form Vern-1234) :D. I just passed the bill this morning... Attached as a rider to a spending bill...

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Not to defend a scoundrel like Don, but any gun shop of any decent size appears to be on the list including Bradis and Albros. Anything from the Bradys should be taken with a large dose of salt.

Just an FYI ,,,, Unless someone has seen them open up somewhere else, Albros has gone out of business, and moved out of the new store S of KMart.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Here's the registration information, I'm assuming Brenda Davis is Don's wife.

DON'S GUNS (Legal)

Current Information
    Entity Legal Name:
    DON'S GUNS AND GALLERIES INC

Entity Address:
    3807 LAFAYETTE RD, INDIANAPOLIS, IN 46254

General Entity Information:

Control Number: 198005-819
    Entity Type: For-Profit Domestic Corporation

Entity Creation Date: 5/30/1980
    Entity Date to Expire:
    Entity Inactive Date:

This entity is current with Business Entity Report(s).

Other Names for this Entity:

DateName (Type) 5/30/1980DON'S DISCOUNT GUNS (Assumed / Marion County )

Registered Agent(name, address, city , state , zip):
    Steven R. Hall
    101 W. Ohio St. Suite 660
    INDIANAPOLIS , IN 46204

Principals(name, address, city, state, zip - when provided)
    BRENDA DUETY
    President
    2810 FOLTZ
    INDIANAPOLIS , IN 46241

Victoria Davis
    Vice President
    3191 Golfview Drive
    Greenwood , IN 46143

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Greensburg
    Lets keep something realistic in perspective: One of the people in the OP story had a valid carry permit. Trying to sell a gun to the work program kid or working with him should be basis for taking his permit away. Also shows us how careful we must be, even on this board. With hoodlums getting more and more "intelligent", the person who buys your gun that only has a few posts could easily be buying it for a crime or a community gun. That or the gun you are selling could be stolen, you never know. I am always leery of someone who wants to buy my gun that only has 10 posts (or less) as I dont know them.

Perhaps it is time for each member to really begin their own "registration program" so they know who they sold that gun to. This is also important as the "reciept" from a sale or similar could be used to recover the gun in cases. I remember someone had a bunch of guns stolen from their home was in AAC with a VERY vague list of guns stolen. No serial numbers, some were just "Charter", no model name or number. This is critically important for folks to keep track of their numbers and get them written down somewhere, the more official the better (reciepts, trade information slips, etc..). This has certainly been an eye opener for me and I hope everyone else.

With that being said, Vern is now a "registration" state, count on filling out a paper (the form Vern-1234) :D. I just passed the bill this morning... Attached as a rider to a spending bill...
    I don't know but i take a little bit of offense to this statement, I don't have alot of posts, but does that mean any firearm I buy from a member is gonna be a "community gun" or "used in a crime"? Let's be frank for a minute, if you do a ftf sale and the person buying your weapon gives you reason to question their intent...don't sell them the gun! It may sound a little thin skinned but everyone has to start somewhere right.:twocents:

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I wouldnt take offense to it. No where did I state that those with low posts are criminals, however, the tendency is there with ANY transaction, no matter the post count. There is a trust level that needs to be built up. Heck, I could be a criminal (and have several friends that will tell you that I am! :D). Joking aside, anyone can be a criminal. You are taking it personally and you shouldn't. I am a young, bored white guy. Supposedly I am much more suceptible to commit a crime than an older guy and am reminded of that when I am carded for booze or fill out gun forms. But, I dont take it personally, if anything, in stride.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I am a young, bored white guy.

And your name is VERN?? :D

:stickpoke:

The post count in of itself does not make someone suspicious, but the seller would certainly have less of an idea of what kind of person they are, based on their posts as a whole, compared to a guy who has 500 posts.

Then again, I've met some of you guys that are NOTHING like your internet selves. ;)

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    Low post count? I am trying to figure out how the high post counts can have that much to say! (trying to get my post count up:D)

BTW, about 15 years ago, a buddy of mine was the manager of Dons Northside store. I did some work on the restrooms for them, just minor stuff, got a bunch of range time and ammo out of it. But those couple of nights I was there, I saw a lot of hardware leave after hours. I was told it was guys that arranged late night pick ups, but it still made me slightly uncomfortable to be there.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    But those couple of nights I was there, I saw a lot of hardware leave after hours.

Anyone remember the recent movie "The Brave One" with Jodie Foster, and that scene where she buys the Kahr? Don's came to mind when I first saw that. :D

Smitty506th

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    I went to Don's a while back to shoot my friends Kel-tec (toy) rifle. Was looking at a Glock 26 and saw that the price was almost 100+ what Bradis had it for. I hadn't been that place since i was a kid. So I ask the guy if the gun is new or used. He tells me that it is new, even though it looked like it was dropped a few times. So I pop off the slide. He freaks out and says I shouldn't do that because he doesn't know how to "put it back together"... I suppose with people like that working there you are going to get people who bring in stolen stuff.

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Greensburg
    I wouldnt take offense to it. No where did I state that those with low posts are criminals, however, the tendency is there with ANY transaction, no matter the post count. There is a trust level that needs to be built up. Heck, I could be a criminal (and have several friends that will tell you that I am! :D). Joking aside, anyone can be a criminal. You are taking it personally and you shouldn't. I am a young, bored white guy. Supposedly I am much more suceptible to commit a crime than an older guy and am reminded of that when I am carded for booze or fill out gun forms. But, I dont take it personally, if anything, in stride.
    I think there is a "possibility" not "tendency" with any transaction, but being judged by post count or appearance (such as tattoos) and I have quite a few of those, I believe is a disservice to this forum. Like I said before, make your judgement after meeting me not by how much bull I can talk through the internet. I also am a bored, young white guy, and I am sorry if I take things personally. All seriousness aside:D, Don's is a joke, I was in there once and there was one "employee" standing behind the counter with what looked to be a gold plated, diamond encrusted Jennings Nine and he was racking the slide and dry firing it, I didn't think too much of it until I realized the thing was pointed in my direction, when I loudly said something about it, I got the "it isn't loaded" response, I turned to leave and saw Don himself sitting at the desk doing almost the same thing with a double action revolver, I got the hell out of there and have never went back. Beside the fact there prices are ridiculous, they are unsafe and not very knowledgeable about what they are selling, they really must not want to make any money and must love selling guns to people that have no idea what gun ownership means or is all about. Well, now that I have got my soap box time over with, no hard feelings disposableheart.:ar15:

concrete dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Goshen
    well as far as don's guns sounds like if you value your life or anybody that is with you at the time keep right on driven.as far as the thread count for buying and selling guns you can look at it like this,anybody who in their life even someone 6to16 or 16to 69 who has taken a $.02 piece of gum from the corner store is looked apawn by police as a crook in some way shape or form.thats why you do ftf or transfer to ffl. dealer.i have done some deals on here and have not run into one bad or shady person(not saying they arent out there)in doing so.

scububbs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Don is as crooked as the day is long. If you want to know what he is really all about do a search on his history with the Teamsters in Ohio before he came to Indiana.

Top Bottom