• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • serpicostraight

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    i got a letter from a detective with phx pd. i called her this morning and she said they found a gun that was stolen from me in 1988. its at a pawnshop and she said i could buy back the gun from them or have a hearing. i told her i wanted the hearing but im still not real clear on why i have to have a hearing to get my property back. she said the pawnshop would claim i had to pay them what they paid for it at the hearing. it will be interesting to see how this works out. but i am amazed it was found after all this time.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    i got a letter from a detective with phx pd. i called her this morning and she said they found a gun that was stolen from me in 1988. its at a pawnshop and she said i could buy back the gun from them or have a hearing. i told her i wanted the hearing but im still not real clear on why i have to have a hearing to get my property back. she said the pawnshop would claim i had to pay them what they paid for it at the hearing. it will be interesting to see how this works out. but i am amazed it was found after all this time.

Let us know how this turns out;)

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    That's really cool!! Kinda' like getting a new gun even though it was technically already yours at one point. I don't know how they'd be able to charge you money either. I always was under the impression that if you ended up with a stolen gun, you might not get in trouble, but you will lose the gun. What kind of gun was it?

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I would imagine different states might have different laws about this but it would seem only right that once something is proven stolen it should go back to the proper owner regardless. If the pawn shop loses money, it would seem that's what insurance is for.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    That's a load of crap! It's your gun and you don't have to pay anyone a dime. If I had a stolen gun on me and cop ran the numbers do you think I would be able to keep it until the rightful owner gave me the money I payed for it?

Tell the detective it's your gun, he knows that already, and you want it back or you will file charges on the pawn shop.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Colt Officers enhanced, Colt Gov't .380, Colt Dbl Eagle Officers and S&W Md 625, stolen in 1993, I still have hope of recovery. :rolleyes:

serpicostraight

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    What kind of gun is it?
    it was a smith 66 4 inch barrel. the detective said we have to have the hearing but she said the courts say thats the price of doing business. she said i will get it back but it will take a few months or i could give them the 140 and get it back now. i told her i would wait after 23 years a few months isnt much.

serpicostraight

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Colt Officers enhanced, Colt Gov't .380, Colt Dbl Eagle Officers and S&W Md 625, stolen in 1993, I still have hope of recovery. :rolleyes:
    if you had serial numbers for them and had them on the report theres always hope. all it takes is one person to run the numbers and game over.

serpicostraight

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    This is an incredible story! my buddy's walther pps got stolen from his truck two weeks ago. I hope his story ends the same way!
    hopefully his will surface sooner than mine did. btw when it was stolen it was in mint condition. when i get it back ill post some pics. not sure what kind of shape its in now.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    You may have to reimburse the insurance company if you collected on the loss. The gun may not be worth now what it was then.

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    it doesn't make since that you would have to pay anything for the gun. It's your gun. so what if the pawn shop is out money? They shouldn't of bought a stolen gun. If I had a stolen TV I bought off a crack head, does that mean the owner should have to pay me for it? hell no

Love the 1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    That's a load of crap! It's your gun and you don't have to pay anyone a dime. If I had a stolen gun on me and cop ran the numbers do you think I would be able to keep it until the rightful owner gave me the money I payed for it?

Tell the detective it's your gun, he knows that already, and you want it back or you will file charges on the pawn shop.

Yeah, tell him that. Then, send in an application to Phoenix PD, go through a 6 month hiring process where you will likely have to visit Phoenix at least 3-4 times, get hired, move out there, go to their academy, and then you can file charges.

When I deal with pawn shops that have stolen products, I inform them that the items that they have are stolen and according to Indiana Criminal Code, knowingly possessing stolen property is a D Felony. They are usually more than happy to give the items to me and not ask another question. The shop is then mentioned as a victim in my report so they can file insurance or if I have a thief in custody, they can get paid back by them as ordered by the Judge. Good luck getting your gun.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    it doesn't make since that you would have to pay anything for the gun. It's your gun. so what if the pawn shop is out money? They shouldn't of bought a stolen gun. If I had a stolen TV I bought off a crack head, does that mean the owner should have to pay me for it? hell no

^^THIS

The pawn shop bought a stolen gun! They should have run the numbers before ever making the deal. Their bad business deal has nothing to do with you other than the fact that they paid some other dude for something that legally belongs to you. You need to fly down there, and head straight to the pawn shop with a Louisville Slugger in hand.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I bought an M1 Carbine from my local gunshop that some months later turned out to be stolen from an individual in Illinois.
    The thief had confessed to where he sold the gun after being arrested.

I returned the M1 Carbine to an Illinois police officer who came over and met me in the town where the gun shop is, and he gave me a receipt for returning it.

The gun shop had to return my money and take the loss on what he paid the thief for it..

Even though they didn't do it intentionally, they STILL received stolen property.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake

Despite the fact that they should have ran the serial# well before paying for your stolen property, don't have have to fill out paper work with the seller's(thief's) info on it?

Top Bottom