• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bob609891

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2012
    Camp Lejeune, North Carolina
    I've been in separations classes all day today... I was talking to one of the admin guys in the class about going to get my Presidential Unit Citation from 2009 and Navy Unit Commendation from 2011 ran in the system before I get out. He cracked a joke about the Stolen Valor Act and those jackwagons out there that put on our uniforms, wear our medals and ribbons, and tell war stories like its a good time. Got me thinking.
    Some people say it violates free speech, others say "who cares its just a uniform, or a ribbon"
    This circulated around the Marine Corps (and apparently the internet) a couple of years ago: Skyler whalen
    My admin chief at the time was one Gunnery Sergeant Steven Whalen (now Master Sergeant) and he had some pretty strong feelings about it considering he was the only Gunny Whalen in the Marine Corps at the time.
    This crap disgusts me, and getting out is going to make it harder I think.
    I'm generally a pretty laid back guy, but I get outrageously offended by this stuff.
    What are your thoughts?
    Have you ever seen this or suspected someone of it?

Last edited:

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I'd probably kill someone with my bare hands if they looked like this Skyler Whalen kid... and could you really blame me?

Yes.

I'm not a fan of folks who claim to be something they're not. Doesn't really matter what it is they claim to be.

That said, KILL someone for merely LOOKING LIKE someone you hate? Dude, you got anger issues.

RyanV

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    La Porte County
    Kinda makes me mad, but there are waaaaay more guys actually in the service claiming to have been places they haven't been and done things they haven't done that make me more mad then this turd. I mean who would look at that Whalen guy and take him seriously?

bob609891

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2012
    Camp Lejeune, North Carolina
    Kinda makes me mad, but there are waaaaay more guys actually in the service claiming to have been places they haven't been and done things they haven't done that make me more mad then this turd. I mean who would look at that Whalen guy and take him seriously?

You're exactly right, its just the idea of taking credit when none is due.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    DUDE, take a chill pill. Its OK to be offended. Its NOT ok to act on it. you dont agree w/ the ruling on stolen valor. either deal with it, or do what it takes to get legislation passed to make it so but until then, i think you need to relax a bit.

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    I've been in separations classes all day today... I was talking to one of the admin guys in the class about going to get my Presidential Unit Citation from 2009 and Navy Unit Commendation from 2011 ran in the system before I get out. He cracked a joke about the Stolen Valor Act and those jackwagons out there that put on our uniforms, wear our medals and ribbons, and tell war stories like its a good time. Got me thinking.
    Some people say it violates free speech, others say "who cares its just a uniform, or a ribbon"
    This circulated around the Marine Corps (and apparently the internet) a couple of years ago: Skyler whalen
    My admin chief at the time was one Gunnery Sergeant Steven Whalen (now Master Sergeant) and he had some pretty strong feelings about it considering he was the only Gunny Whalen in the Marine Corps at the time.
    This crap disgusts me, and getting out is going to make it harder I think.
    I'm generally a pretty laid back guy, but I get outrageously offended by this stuff. I'd probably[STRIKE] kill someone with my bare hands[/STRIKE] be uncharacteristically enraged if they looked like this Skyler Whalen kid... and could you really blame me?

What are your thoughts?
    Have you ever seen this or suspected someone of it?

yes i would blame you. you might have a problem.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    It should be very obvious who has served and who hasn't. Let their own shame out themselves, no need for anything else to do. Remember, even if someone honors the liar who brags about his service, the honor is still going to those who have truly served.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    A liar will eventually be caught in his own lies, and the "honor" given to him will be taken from him, to be replaced with twice the shame and ridicule.

Well, either that or we let him speak at the DNC, but that's really the same thing anyway.

steve666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Indianapolis Eastside
    I am much more upset by (and more likely to act out against) the douchebags from the Westboro Baptist Church who organize these gay-bashing protests at the funerals of our fallen soldiers. These ARE a group for whom severe beatings followed by extremely long jail sentences are not only appropriate but should be mandatory!!!

R.G.Gray

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2011
    They are without Honor or strength of character. They live with their lies each day aware of their weakness. :noway:

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Kinda makes me mad, but there are waaaaay more guys actually in the service claiming to have been places they haven't been and done things they haven't done that make me more mad then this turd.........

This.

So many guys that I've met that have claimed to have served in a branch of the military, also claim to have done some type of advanced combat training and were involved in some type of unit that did some type of tactical stuff.

Were there ever no cooks, mechanics, clerks, etc.?

RyanV

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    La Porte County
    This.

So many guys that I've met that have claimed to have served in a branch of the military, also claim to have done some type of advanced combat training and were involved in some type of unit that did some type of tactical stuff.

Were there ever no cooks, mechanics, clerks, etc.?

Exactly, everyone was a scout sniper, recon, attached to SF. Give me a break. :rolleyes:

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    When you stand in defense of freedom you stand for all freedom. That included the douches who would abuse that freedom. I used to get upset when I saw someone burning the flag. Now I realize just how stupid someone has to be to burn the symbol of the freedom they enjoy to express themselves by burning said symbol.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    When you stand in defense of freedom you stand for all freedom. That included the douches who would abuse that freedom. I used to get upset when I saw someone burning the flag. Now I realize just how stupid someone has to be to burn the symbol of the freedom they enjoy to express themselves by burning said symbol.

Exactly. The liberties we enjoy, also protect the right of people to be an idiot.

Unfortunately, it also provides the same right to people on election day.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Not some people--the majority of the Supreme Court of the United States said it violates the First Amendment to the Constitution--the same Constitution you and I both swore an oath to protect. United States v. Alvarez

I know because I was sitting in the courtroom when Justice Kennedy read the Opinion from the bench. It was a great moment for liberty; I've never heard a judge speak so forcefully the words of liberty before that day.

Top Bottom