0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    We'll see how long that works. It'll cut into the sheriff's budget. He may not like losing his lunch money.

In any event it may be a good move, until the first time someone who should be locked up does something to someone.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    We'll see how long that works. It'll cut into the sheriff's budget. He may not like losing his lunch money..

Winner. Law enforcement is a business. Keeping the peace is a public service.

Your second sentence will always exist no matter how efficient the business.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    We'll see how long that works. It'll cut into the sheriff's budget. He may not like losing his lunch money.

In any event it may be a good move, until the first time someone who should be locked up does something to someone.

Exactly...
    Have we forgotten already what has happened in Indy? Had one guy been kept locked up for the "non-violent" offense of Theft, Officer Moore would still be here.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    The article doesn't specify, but I highly doubt that theft is something being considered for the cut. I would imagine things like drug offenses are what will likely be cut. They make up an enormous portion of arrests and dollars consumed.

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    The article doesn't specify, but I highly doubt that theft is something being considered for the cut. I would imagine things like drug offenses are what will likely be cut. They make up an enormous portion of arrests and dollars consumed.

umm... theft is one of the things specifically targeted for time cuts and sentencing restructure. Pew Report and proposed legislation will make it a misdemeanor below a threshhold amount.

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond

How about we don't lock them up unless we have probable cause to believe that they have or will attempt to commit a violent or dangerous crime? What people might do can be used to justify all sorts of nanny state laws.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN

We should never lock someone up based upon what they might do in the future. Only for what they've done.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Just out of curiosity, what is a "nonsense" arrest (obviously, I should clarify, outside of drug arrests?). I'm wondering how "in touch" this commissioner is...

only a politician would say, "You can have all the justice you can afford."

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    what is a "nonsense" arrest (obviously, I should clarify, outside of drug arrests?).

Oh, I don't know, how about the nonsense of a .03 Minor in Consumption (smelled through a dorm door) at Purdue?

Next .03 MIC I get I'm venue-ing to Marion County where .19 is the smell threshold.

How about each and every Marijuana? How about Carrying a Handgun without a License? How about every single Public Intoxication because we have to teach people lessons instead of letting the kid from a visiting university walk two blocks to his buddy's house?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    You've been incarcerated for that?

I've been in many county jails (27 at last count) and many IDoC facilities (adult and juvenile), but I've never spent the night.:D

Let's just say that a few of my bosses have been to jail over MIC.;) Funny how cops are part coyote . . . when they want to be.:D

You think kirk is a minor?

O.K., so I'm slightly older than the board mean.:):

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    That's what my county's county commissioner wants the cops to do anyway. Stop arresting people for nonsense and costing the county loads of money. Instead he wants them to hand out summonses for anything that's not a crime of violence or DUI's. In other words he wants them to start using their discretion and not filling up the jails with nonsense arrests. It's a good start.

Fewer arrests will save money, Hamilton County official says | The Indianapolis Star | IndyStar.com

Should have know, his name is Dillinger. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom