• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I was heading down to my deer stand and was stopped by a Game warden. He wanted to see if I had a hunting license. He was very nice. When he started to head back up the hill I asked why he didn't ask about what caliber I was using. He siad he had checked twelve guys and only one didn't have the correct caliber. I explained that I was told that you guys would all check because of the new laws. He smiled and said what caliber is it. I told him and he went on up to his truck. I went on to my stand. So if the rest of the Game Wardens are like him, the caliber thing isn't all that big of a deal. At least that is the way he acted.

GunnerDan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2012
    Clark County Indiana
    Hey OP, just kinda curious, but why did you even bring up the caliber issue? I mean it sounded like a great interaction and IMHO, you only furthered the interaction by asking about the caliber issues. Anyway, glad you had a positive experience with the CO. On a small side note, that has to be one of the most dangerous jobs in law enforcement, going on and knowing everyone you meet will be armed and you are alone in the woods... scary stuff...

Gunner

Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    I wonder what he did with the guy that didn't have a correct caliber. Maybe a "Don't let me catch you again" routine that happens a lot when people speed.

hysteria

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    I wonder what he did with the guy that didn't have a correct caliber. Maybe a "Don't let me catch you again" routine that happens a lot when people speed.

This. Along with what the issue actually was. Was it a "really wrong" caliber or close and because of a misunderstanding of the rules as written.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    It's good to hear about a nice game warden. We usually only here about the complete psycho game wardens.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    It's good to hear about a nice game warden. We usually only here about the complete psycho game wardens.

I agree completely! One point where INGO has made a difference in my outlook is the exposure to a fine group of lawmen after personal experiences which had inspired a very deep distrust. Good examples, both specialized examples like this or more general ones, can make a significant difference.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Hey OP, just kinda curious, but why did you even bring up the caliber issue? I mean it sounded like a great interaction and IMHO, you only furthered the interaction by asking about the caliber issues. Anyway, glad you had a positive experience with the CO. On a small side note, that has to be one of the most dangerous jobs in law enforcement, going on and knowing everyone you meet will be armed and you are alone in the woods... scary stuff...
    Gunner
    I would take that over a street cop in an urban area anyday.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    GunnerDan I wasn't trying to shorten the encounter. As I said he was very nice about the hole deal. When he came down the hill I had my licence out. That was all he really wanted to see. He seemed happy and I had a question.

Every one has made such a big deal about the caliber thing. Talking about will they be miking or shells after they have been fired to see that we were fallowing the letter of the law. This guy didn't care. He didn't look at the rifle or shells. I could have been using my 358 Winchester. He would not have known. Because he didn't look at it. My thought is the people he answers to isn't pushing it so he isn't. That is just a guess.

GunnerDan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2012
    Clark County Indiana
    GunnerDan I wasn't trying to shorten the encounter. As I said he was very nice about the hole deal. When he came down the hill I had my licence out. That was all he really wanted to see. He seemed happy and I had a question.

Every one has made such a big deal about the caliber thing. Talking about will they be miking or shells after they have been fired to see that we were fallowing the letter of the law. This guy didn't care. He didn't look at the rifle or shells. I could have been using my 358 Winchester. He would not have known. Because he didn't look at it. My thought is the people he answers to isn't pushing it so he isn't. That is just a guess.

Ahhh gotcha... I guess I can understand wanting to get proper information from the local CO. Probably was glad to deal with a hunter not wanting to be a pain in the arse... Anyway, I am really glad you had a positive encounter with your CO.

Gunner

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    My Dad told me about a Game Warden in Kentucky that walked in to a deer camp two days before hunting season started and they had three deer hanging and he was going to give them tickets. One of the men went for a gun and the Game Warden ended up killing two of them and taking the other two to jail. It was found to be a good shooting. One of the men he took to jail testified that he had no other choice or he would have been killed.

I know that street officers ( police ) have a bad job ( thank God we have people that do that job ) but a Game Warden is on his own most of the time. About four months ago the wife and I came home to six Game Wardens and a state trooper blocking the road just past our house. I never did know what was going on but they had shotguns out and there was a lot of them. I counted six vehicles parked around the place. An hour later everyone was gone. I have no idea what it was about. I know the guys place that they were on has had trouble with people trespassing. If that was what it was about they were not taking any chances.

timsdl72

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2013
    West Lafayette
    On a small side note, that has to be one of the most dangerous jobs in law enforcement, going on and knowing everyone you meet will be armed and you are alone in the woods... scary stuff...

Gunner

Look, I understand the "on alert" side of this sort of discussion but are we still stuck in the mindset that being around armed people is inherently dangerous? I am having a very difficult time understanding how we as firearm owners and many of us as CC or OC advocates can then turn around and say this sort of thing. How is a hunter who is immersed in his hobby during an appropriate season a threat to a law enforcement officer? How does knowing the people you'll interface with are armed add to that danger? Let's compare the average game warden and a third shift convenience store clerk. Guess which one I would rather be!! Just like a cop on the street, I respect the hazards of the job. BUT, I think we do ourselves and them a dis-service if we continue to use the presence of firearms as an indicator of danger.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Look, I understand the "on alert" side of this sort of discussion but are we still stuck in the mindset that being around armed people is inherently dangerous? I am having a very difficult time understanding how we as firearm owners and many of us as CC or OC advocates can then turn around and say this sort of thing. How is a hunter who is immersed in his hobby during an appropriate season a threat to a law enforcement officer? How does knowing the people you'll interface with are armed add to that danger? Let's compare the average game warden and a third shift convenience store clerk. Guess which one I would rather be!! Just like a cop on the street, I respect the hazards of the job. BUT, I think we do ourselves and them a dis-service if we continue to use the presence of firearms as an indicator of danger.

You're right.

I guess there are some poachers that while committing an illegal act and armed with the weapons they just committed the illegal act with - aren't all bad people and should be given the benefit of the doubt.
    Even while officers are approaching them alone - in the bush - without backup.
    What could go wrong.

They are all fellow gun owners just like us. Right? :n00b:

Last edited:

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I think what most people think about when they talk about COs and contact with armed individuals is the small percentage of people that they come into contact with that are breaking the law. Yes, the majority of the people that they make contact with are law abiding people and are responsible firearms owners. By the nature of the job a large majority of the offenders that COs have an encounter with are armed, most being hunters but even many fishermen. Take into consideration the severe penalties that a person could face due to poaching or breaking game laws and add to that the fact that many have already pointed out that the CO is usually working alone in a remote situation. This all adds to the danger aspect of their job. These guys don't operate like other law enforcement most of the time by pulling in behind your vehicle as you are traveling down the road and then hitting you with lights and sirens. Many times they are on foot and make a "surprise" visit.
    I would be curious to see some actual numbers on the percentage of armed people COs interact with compared to city, county and state police but there probably aren't any good numbers since we don't have a law to inform during a routine traffic stop.

Top Bottom