• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kingpin1779

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    near covington
    ok im stopped by the police. do you say to the officer ive got a carry permit but im not carring today sir ? sound corny ? just wondering what would keep you out of hot water.

todkapuz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2011
    Carmel, IN
    In Texas, our CHL rules actually required that we do just that. Anytime we were stopped by the police, and asked to provide identification for what ever reason, we had to hand both our DL and CHL over, and identify if we were or were not carrying. While it really shouldn't make any difference, it was just one of those things. Most of the encounters I had, they immediately handed my chl back, and just shrugged off the carry status. As for here in Indiana, I'm not sure. I would depend on why you were stopped... the LTCH seems quite different from the chl we had in Texas. But generally, the best advice is, if you have no requirement to make the statement, I wouldn't say anything. You have the right to remain silent.

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    You are not required to inform in Indiana. Of course, if you're being placed under arrest , and the officer asks if you have any weapons on you, that's a different ballgame.

Or, as the officer approaches, you can scream out the window, "I have a gun!!!!!".

Or not.:D

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ok im stopped by the police. do you say to the officer ive got a carry permit but im not carring today sir ? sound corny ? just wondering what would keep you out of hot water.

Obey the traffic laws to stay out of hot water.

You are not required to say anything beyond identifying yourself.

Anything else you care to add could, of course, get you into more hot water.

grube555

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2011
    As of a few years ago police could not see if you had a permit or not. It may have changed recently, but if you do not have a firearm with you then no worries.

Or make a quick jolt for the glove box and yank it open as fast as you can!

SWATDUDE

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    EAST CENTRAL INDIANA
    Just recently your carry permit does show up when we run someones license. Did not use to. I pulled a gentleman over for doing 60 mph in a 45 mph, obtained his drivers license, when I checked to see if he was valid, which he was, his conceal to carry showed up, I was like "huh...that's pretty cool" then I walked back up to his truck handed him his license and just told him to slow down. I never asked to see his permit, or asked if he had a gun nor did he mention anything to me about having one. I feel its not really any of my business if he has one or not, it would be no different if I was to know whether or not he had a machete in his truck. And you do not need a license to carry one of those but it will kill you just the same (not as easily as a firearm). As a Deputy we still have to treat every traffic stop the same. I will admit I do like knowing if someone is carrying, but a bad guy with bad intent is not going to say "hey I have a gun permit and plan on shooting you when you come back with my ticket". Honest citizens will always have a permit, But yes the guys above are correct, in Indiana you are not required to let LE know you have a permit or carrying.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I was the BG during a simunitions training exercise for the local PD years ago. The scenario was a routine traffic stop, I had a gun, and was clear to fire at any point after the initial conversation. My discretion based on the officers actions. I'm telling ya, if an officer follows his training properly, it's damn near impossible to shoot him after he makes it to your car. Sure you can get a shot off, but he clearly has the advantage while you are seated.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    If he isn't going to see it, I'm not going to inform. In other words if he asks me to get out of the vehicle I will inform prior to moving from my seat otherwise it is a non issue. Unfortunately there are not enough leos like swatdude for whom it is irrelevant to the stop for me to put myself in a position to have to interface with a guy like that douche from Ohio that has been the topic of several posts on the forum.

SWATDUDE

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    EAST CENTRAL INDIANA
    If he isn't going to see it, I'm not going to inform. In other words if he asks me to get out of the vehicle I will inform prior to moving from my seat otherwise it is a non issue. Unfortunately there are not enough leos like swatdude for whom it is irrelevant to the stop for me to put myself in a position to have to interface with a guy like that douche from Ohio that has been the topic of several posts on the forum.

Oh is that the Ohio Officer that totally blew up at that guy in the car about not informing him about he had a concealed weapon? If so that officer was TOTALLY out of line. The thing was he would not shut up long enough to let the driver speak, it is officers like that is what makes our jobs harder.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    Oh is that the Ohio Officer that totally blew up at that guy in the car about not informing him about he had a concealed weapon? If so that officer was TOTALLY out of line. The thing was he would not shut up long enough to let the driver speak, it is officers like that is what makes our jobs harder.
    Yes, sir. That is the one. And you are very right. He is the exception that makes everyone look bad (just happens to be LE in this instance).

So, how long has a traffic stop showed LTCH status? And is it State, County Sherriff, Local or all Departments? Not that I am hiding anything, just curious when and how it changed. And as stated before, Indiana is not a state where you need to inform. I like it like that. Less fidgeting and handling of a firearm the better. That's when NDs can/will happen. So IF I were to be pulled over it just stays put unless I am removed from the vehicle.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Yeah, the people that jump through the hoops to get the LTCH don't tend to be the ones that give you trouble.

SWATDUDE

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    EAST CENTRAL INDIANA
    Yes, sir. That is the one. And you are very right. He is the exception that makes everyone look bad (just happens to be LE in this instance).

So, how long has a traffic stop showed LTCH status? And is it State, County Sherriff, Local or all Departments? Not that I am hiding anything, just curious when and how it changed. And as stated before, Indiana is not a state where you need to inform. I like it like that. Less fidgeting and handling of a firearm the better. That's when NDs can/will happen. So IF I were to be pulled over it just stays put unless I am removed from the vehicle.

Well I think it was about 2 months ago when I pulled that particular gentleman over and that was the 1st time I had seen it. But it is state wide. If the Department has a laptop in there patrol vehicle and have the system to where they can run plates and license then it will show up. How they did it I do not know. Amen on the less fidgeting around in your vehicle.

Think1st

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Thanks for the info, have a friend with a LTCH and he was pulled over by IMPD. The officer did ask if he was carrying. Then asked were it was. That was it.

.40Karma

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2011
    Cedar Lake
    According to my brother, who is LE here in Lake County, only traffic info gets pulled up when the number is run. However when the name is run at the station, more details can obtained.

Top Bottom