• ...and so much more!
  • t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    After several months of research, I've decided that a 10mm will be my future handgun, for use at our cabin in Alaska. The cabin is on an island, deep in the Kenai National Wildlife Refuge. We get a curious black bear on the island, about once every ten years. They usually show up, sniff around the island for a few days, and then swim back over to the mainland. Currently have an 870 and bear spray for venturing off the island. Also have a extra Mossberg 500 as a loaner for guests. Having shot both 10mm and 44 mag, I am more accurate and can shoot faster follow-up shots with the 10mm.

The three different handguns I am looking at are a Glock 20, Springfield XD or Ruger GP100 revolver. Currently leaning towards the revolver.

I've posted this video before, so you may have already seen it......[video=youtube;t1AbItAe-h0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1AbItAe-h0[/video]

Basically, he found that although the 44Mag is more capable, he shoots the 10mm better.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    Ray Patton had just let his dogs out when one instantly started squealing in pain.
    He automatically grabbed his gun. "I just instantly started shooting where I knew they were."
    A pack of animals was attacking his dog Kasey and trying to get his other dog.
    "Kasey got about half way up to the house and fell down and my youngest daughter Katie picked her up and put her in the kitchen sink because she was bleeding all over everything."
    But Patton thought he must be seeing things.
    "The first thing that come to my mind was wolf because I knew it wasn't no coyote because they were about waist high standing about ten feet from me," he said.
    "I was expecting to see a collie maybe, a German shepherd, even a lab," said Indiana Conservation Officer Joe Lackey.
    He doubted the "wolf" theory from the start.
    That is, until the animals returned to the Patton house for more. "Something was wrong with the way these things looked," he said.
    Within just a few hours five had been shot and more had been sighted.
    "There's been people up and down the roads since this has happened hunting wolves and that is what we don't want," Lackey said.
    While Patton loves his dog, he's thankful it wasn't his grandchildren out in the backyard that day.
    "He said they shook her pretty hard from both ends and he said the muscles under her skin were just like ground beef, and then she has numerous bite marks on her."
    The animals are currently being tested, to see if they are wolves or a hybrid mix. Residents are hopeful they've seen the last of them.

This happened in Gatchel, Perry County in 2008 they turned out to be Wolf looking dogs 5 dead in a few hours 2 dead from a 15 year old girl with her shotgun.

All dogs are dogs and will pack and kill!

Note:
    I know of none of my neighbors that are not armed with at least one weapon ready at a moments notice.

I had not heard that story. Our farm is near Branchville and Joe was our neighbor 2 houses down. He passed away a couple years ago.
    Several years ago we had a coy-dog on the property. He must have been crossed with a Shepherd as he was a huge dog. I called him in a couple times with fawn bleats during bow season, but could never get a shot.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    On another forum where this discussion of the returns of wolves was being discussed a cuddly just like dogs guy chimed in and argued that wolves only eat rodents that they don't kill deer or elk. Guys were arguing with him trying to convince him otherwise but he had saw it on some some program on it that wolves were as you said cuddly like dogs. When I saw this guy was not not listening to anything anyone was saying and standing his ground on this I simply googled it and found lots of you-tube footage of Wolves attacking and killing elk and I posted it in the thread. None the less he didn't say another word about it.

I just don't understand why they brought them back other than to ruin hunting and get hunters to hang up their rifles.

That guy should share those opinions with the residents that live in or near the wolf restoration area in the Mountain West in person. He would certainly benefit from the attitude adjustment, if they didn't simply tie him up and leave him for the bears and wolves.

The wolf restoration in the western states was rather ill conceived since wolves are plentiful in Alaska and western Canada, certainly in no danger of extinction. The re-introduction of wolves to the Upper Midwest was probably an even worse idea, especially since they used the western subspecies that was never previously found in the Midwest. It wouldn't be so bad if they states were allowed to manage their wolves as they see fit but they are lucky if the Feds allow them to be managed at all.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    There have been a few 10mm handguns in the classifieds over the last year or so. I'd dearly love to have one of them - but I have less than zero need for one. And yes, I get the difference between wants and needs. But these days (years) it's about needs vs. wants.

BoilerWes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Pendleton
    I am probably not as skilled as the guy in the story, but if a grizzly is charging me I’m emptying the whole dang magazine and reaching for another. The whole double tap thing makes the events of the story seem a little less plausible to me. Not doubting 10mm performance...but for me it would be empty mag, empty pants. :)

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    There have been a few 10mm handguns in the classifieds over the last year or so. I'd dearly love to have one of them - but I have less than zero need for one. And yes, I get the difference between wants and needs. But these days (years) it's about needs vs. wants.

I have no vice so I have made firearms my vice/hobby lol. Got to spend that money somewhere.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I am probably not as skilled as the guy in the story, but if a grizzly is charging me I’m emptying the whole dang magazine and reaching for another. The whole double tap thing makes the events of the story seem a little less plausible to me. Not doubting 10mm performance...but for me it would be empty mag, empty pants. :)

Nothing all that implausible about the story, the guy was very lucky and pretty fast to be able get off two shots. A bear can cover around 12 yards per second so he didn't have much time.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I am a huge fan of the 10mm and own 2. It was 3 but one found a new home
    Having bought a BNIB SA TRP in .45 that was a serious turd even after multiple trips back to Springer I decided to fix it myself and what better way to do so than a 10mm conversion. Suffice to say this thing s a beast. It lives on my dresser in HD duty mode.

The other 10mm is just for grins and giggles. But it too is a serious shooter.

To me the 10mm offering is the peak of the hill in Semi-auto calibers.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

My "I wasn't there, but the people who were don't always remember things accurately" assessment:

I suspect it was not two shots in rapid succession. I suspect the first made the bear go down or start to go down because it hit the spinal cord, then the head shot was an appropriate follow-up after it was down.

Top Bottom