• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    If you are going to be storing bulk ammo for long periods of time... Any special precautions need to be taken?? Will be running a dehumidfier anything else needed???

Thanks.

THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    keep it dry.. dehumidifier wouldn't hurt at all. but i shoot quite often and rotate the "stored ammo" out and shoot it when i buy new..

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    If you're going to be using actual ammo cans, with o-rings to seal the lid, all you need is one or two packs of desiccant in each can. The US military has stored ammo this way for 50 years and it still performed very well when fired.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Ammunition has very long shelf life when stored "reasonably." Reasonably means not excessively hot (trunks, attics in hot climates) or excessively wet (moldy, alligator-infested corner of a wet basement.)

When I first started reloading, I went absolutely ape with this powder, that bullet, this load, etc., etc., etc. Then, most of it just sat while I shot what became favorite loads. It was thirty-five years before I, finally, shot up all those reloads, and they worked just fine. They were stored in plain ol' plastic reload boxes with no special treatment--spent many years in garages that got both cold and hot, but not excessively hot.

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    Like NIFT said I have ammo I loaded 20 years ago that still shoots fine and it was just stored in plastic ammo boxes in a dry room in the basement. I now just use ammo cans never had any problems my :twocents:

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    sounds good. thanks for the input. Well I am going to be buying some hollowpoint rounds.... and i dont want to rotate those into my range shooting rounds

Archer46176

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 21, 2012
    South East of Indy
    I have used factory loads I bought nearly 20 years ago and stored in ammo cans. I have skm LARGE dessicant packs from some machinery I installed in a Japanese factory awhile back. I am planning to repack it in smaller packs to use in ammo cans. I have some sittkng out now but it is dry and cool so it will last a good lomg tjme as well. Heck I know some surplus stuff frkm the 60s and 70s is still good. Just use good common sense and it wi last.

tricky9914

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2012
    With my experience as long as the ammo is kept out of humidity - it can last for a very long time...

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NWI
    I found a box of 9mm UMC that I had forgotten about for almost 10 years. Nothing but the cardboard box protected it from the humidity of my dank basement. It had accumulated a bit of corrosion around the headstamps, but they still fired 100%.

ss3uQ.jpg

I'm not suggesting you leave your rounds exposed to unnecessary danger, just a testament to the resilience of brass and copper.

Top Bottom