• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • acarnahan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I store it in ammo cans with a desicant pack and I've got ammo that's a few years old that still shoots fine. Old PMC 223 that has a price of $2.59ea. I do replace the desicant every year.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I've shot some .38 Special rounds from the mid/early 1980's. They were stored in a ziplock bag.

I've also shot some .30-30 rounds that were in a cardboard box in a damp basement since the 70s sometime. A few needed cleaned up a bit to chamber (corrosion on the case). I still have some shotgun shells left over from a hunting trip my father-in-law went on in the early 60s. I'll try them sometime.

Lot's of folks shoot old surplus stuff from post WWII. Mostly from spam cans or ammo boxes.

So, i'd guess, 50 years or so?

Spencir

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    So would storing it just the factory boxes be fine or would you suggest an ammo can or something like it. Also, what about ammo in a carry gun? Does that ever need to be replaced?

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Replaced? Please tell me you mean shot! Ammo will last YEARS if kept relatively dry and not exposed to high heat. Heat will start to degrade the ammo over time. I shoot milsurp ammo that is decades old with no problem. I use silica based cat litter in folded over and stapled coffee filters as a desiccant and store it in GI ammo cans. I have some shotgun ammo from the '60's that has been loose in a cardboard box that gets shot at the range as well with no problems.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    They should literally last centuries as long as they're kept dry. People still fire WWII surplus, no problem. Old muzzleloaders from the 1700s have been found loaded, and have fired fine. The ingredients are stable, and the way ammunition is put together protects them.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    the kitchen
    ^^^^This^^^^

Keep it dry and enjoy it for a lifetime.
    I keep my ammo in MTM ammo cans with good gaskets and have a cheap salt shaker in each filled with indicating dessicant. If I don't open the cans, the dessicant keeps fine. If I get in and out of the cans and the dessicant goes purple, I just take the salt shaker tops off and bake at a 250F for a few hours and put the recharged shaker in the can.

Last edited:

tacdriver

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2012
    VA
    They should literally last centuries as long as they're kept dry. People still fire WWII surplus, no problem. Old muzzleloaders from the 1700s have been found loaded, and have fired fine. The ingredients are stable, and the way ammunition is put together protects them.

Yes sir I too can attest to that, keep it dry and if you can throw some desiccation in the can's you store it in.

I use mil surp 7.92x57 from the year 1936 in my Mauser's, haven't had an issue yet.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Whenever I feel like my carry ammo needs fired and replaced. Or, if every round in the mag has been loaded twice. As long as you are not loading the same round multiple times, then there is nothing to worry about.

Top Bottom