• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gutpile

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    i have used stabile for years with no problems up to 20-24 moths............so what is this PRI-g stuff? anyone have any experience with it long term?

Steve.43

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Wabash, IN
    i have used stabile for years with no problems up to 20-24 moths............so what is this PRI-g stuff? anyone have any experience with it long term?
    I bought a 16-oz. jug of PRI-G some time ago and forgot about it. These gas-storing threads reminded me and it's now sitting on the desk next to the computer. I'll give it a try. I've used Sta-Bil for years and they now offer a product for alcohol-laced gas.

All this is the result of my having taken small engines to the shop on two occasions because they started requiring half choke to run or wouldn't start at all. Both times the problem was fuel. I now buy alcohol-free gas for my small engines, and (knocking wood) so far everything seems to run OK. The local Farm Bureau (North Central Co-op) sells alcohol-free gas, but they told me I'd have to buy 300 gallons at a time to get it. That seemed counterproductive, as, even if stabilized, that quantity stored might well go bad before I could use it up. The answer turned out to be Countrymark (Steffen Oil Company) in Bluffton. I take about a dozen of my gas cans over there with stabilizer already in them and fill them up. This will run my mowers, line trimmers, blower, and outboards for a season. I think most Countrymark stations sell alcohol-free gas, so you might check to see whether you have one within driving distance.

In all I've read about it, PRI-G seems to come highly recommended, and I'll give it a try next time I head for Bluffton.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    If you are going to store gasoline for a long period of time buy avgas and seal it in a metal drum. No additive required, no retreatmemt, just seal it up.

I've flown many times on 100LL that was 5 years old and older and it is a regular practice of others in remote locations.

Onionsanddragons

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 13, 2014
    Terre Haute
    Rotation is, IMO, the best way for storing gasoline. Start with getting a decent can a month, and filling it. Number every can as you get it. Then, every time you need to fill up your car, dump a can in and take it to the station with you, doing this in order with the next can down the line every time you fill up. You only pay for the canned gas the first time, but by using it to partially refill your car and cycling in the gas you would have put in the car, your cans are always fresh.

Gas can be stored for 2-3 years with no appreciable gain of water if kept in reasonable environment and a good container. The alcohol content is not what causes problems with engines, it is water infiltration. Most stabilizers are primarily methanol, an alcohol. Alcohol free gas is pretty much a waste of money unless you have a very specialized engine that requires incredibly precise combustion ratios.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Alcohol free gas is pretty much a waste of money unless you have a very specialized engine that requires incredibly precise combustion ratios.

I've not purchased any yet, but I plan to look into it. Alcohol in gas plays hell with fuel lines and carburetor components in my chain saws and other 2 cycle engines. Is it that much more expensive?

Top Bottom