• ...and so much more!
  • sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    Counting your reloads and putting them in little bags is to stressful. Then you know exactly how much you are shooting and what it costs. Easier to dump it all together and grab handfuls like they are M&Ms. Guilt free pleasure!!!! Just like M&Ms or eating a whole baking pan full of brownies one little slice at a time.

I use a Rock Chucker. After taking the finished bullet out, I put it in a loading tray. That way I'm not counting bullets, I just dump 50 at a time into the bags. I just don't get the pleasure of grabbing a handful!!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I use plastic ammo cans for loaded ammo and plastic coffee cans or the cardboard oatmeal tube-shaped containers for brass. I do use the flip-top MTM cases for "special" loads and for test batches. "Special" meaning it needs to be labeled and isn't bulk practice ammo. Something like **REDHAWK ONLY** or the like I don't want getting mixed in with regular loads.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    50 cal ammo cans. If I want to know how many I have, I count empty primer boxes. I know I can fit 2k 9mm in a can with room left. The can is too heavy to be pleasant to carry to the range, so I normally keep it to 1k.

How can you look at this and not be satisfied?

20160320_113402_zpsp0iddy1i.jpg

FYI - I use an unscented version of this placed in little cloth bags as desiccant in the ammo cans, and other places. For about 15 dollars I can desiccant my whole world.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    All loose bulk in cans without desiccant. No need to count once you do it long enough you know how many at a glance. Can also count primer boxes when loading.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I keep all my ammo inside fifty round MTM plastic boxes, which are in turn stored inside an MTM Ammo Crate - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T4XL4H...lid=3AZVS8O2NF0N9&coliid=I16C5VH4LV7GL1&psc=1
    I presently have somewhere around 1K rounds of .30-06, .45 Colt, .38 Special, and 10mm Auto, with room for a few hundred more rounds inside my crate.
    Rural King has Ammo Crates right on the shelf, for those of you wanting a local source.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    I have been storing my 9mm handloads in some MTM boxes (100rd), but I am finding that they are hard to store that way. They don't fit well into the ammo boxes I have.

With my factory loads, I keep them in the cardboard boxes with the plastic dividers for long-term storage (since they come that way), but then usually dump 300-400 rounds into a sealable Tupperware container that I keep in my range back. They are easier to load this way and they take up a lot less room in the range bag.

Is there any reason that I should keep them in the MTM boxes for long-term storage? It certainly makes inventory a lot easier since you can easily count them. If I just dump the bulk rounds in my ammo boxes with some desiccant, is that a safe way to store them?

When I reload I dump 100 primers into the reloader and when they run out I take the 100 rounds and put them in a ziplock bag. The bags then go into a metal ammo can. Count the bags and you know your round count.

That's just me though.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I have been storing my 9mm handloads in some MTM boxes (100rd), but I am finding that they are hard to store that way. They don't fit well into the ammo boxes I have.

With my factory loads, I keep them in the cardboard boxes with the plastic dividers for long-term storage (since they come that way), but then usually dump 300-400 rounds into a sealable Tupperware container that I keep in my range back. They are easier to load this way and they take up a lot less room in the range bag.

Is there any reason that I should keep them in the MTM boxes for long-term storage? It certainly makes inventory a lot easier since you can easily count them. If I just dump the bulk rounds in my ammo boxes with some desiccant, is that a safe way to store them?

I pour them into .50 cal cans, painted pink for 9mm.

I use a pink .30 can for going to the range.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I use REPACKBOX.COM

They are nice card stock boxes.
    shipped with blank labels to print load data.
    shipped with gloves to handle the Ammo without having to touch it and add oils.

I do not do this for my practice Ammo because of the added time to box them. I only do this for long term storage.

I then only keep 1,000 rounds in a 50 cal can. That way if I need to bug out I can carry them easier because of weight and it allows the space in the can for a holstered pistol and several mags. I consider it a bug out kit with Ammo, holstered pistol and mags.

Loaded mags are in the Ammo can with holster but weapon is in the safe until bug out process begins. Now I'm thinking I might need to add a belt too.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I use plastic ammo cans for loaded ammo and plastic coffee cans or the cardboard oatmeal tube-shaped containers for brass. I do use the flip-top MTM cases for "special" loads and for test batches. "Special" meaning it needs to be labeled and isn't bulk practice ammo. Something like **REDHAWK ONLY** or the like I don't want getting mixed in with regular loads.

+1

I do not even like to mix the "tried and true" loads that were made at different times. Say I had 300 left from last time and I reload another 500 this time. If I had any trouble, I would at least want to know which batch it was from. Even if I throw the rounds in a bag, I include a card with the date, powder, bullet, primer and OAL information for that particular lot of ammo.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I have several 40mm ammo cans for my 9, 45, 38spl, and 223. I also have a 120mm ammo can I plan on using for more 9mm as I have one 40mm can filled to the brim and that sucker is heavy. I'll use one of my plastic ammo cans for my 357 as that will be my target round only.

Gyro

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2012
    My preference has always been to store reloads in plastic 20, 50 or 100 round boxes. Each box is labeled with blue 3M painters tape (easy to remove and replace later). Each label has Date loaded, Case brand (times loaded for rifle), Primer, Powder brand and weight, Bullet brand/weight/style, OAL.
    All boxed ammunition is then placed in a caliber labeled metal GI ammo can and stored in controlled temperature and secured storage area.
    I do my reloading during the cold weather months (around November - February) and during the shooting months I do the following with my fired brass.
    RIFLE BRASS
    After a shooting session I place my sorted (mine / accidential p/u) rifle brass in a labeled gallon zip-lock bag for later reloading. This lets me keep track of how many times the brass has been fired, trimmed, etc.
    PISTOL BRASS
    After a shooting session I sort by brand in a labeled gallon zip-lock bag.
    STORAGE OF FIRED BRASS
    All fired and bagged brass is stored in a caliber labeled GI ammunition can and also stored in controlled temperature (not secured) storage area.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    bullets I use come in 500 count boxes... Loaded ammo goes back into them. Sturdy, small, stackable, easy to know how many in each box (holds 250 9mm, 200 .40s, 150 .45s or .223) and FREE. put a piece of 2" masking tape down to hold them closed and write the load data on.

-rvb

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    All this talk about ammo storage has made me nervous. Only place I have to store ammo is in my garage. Stored stuff like that for years without a problem. Now I am thinking I need to stop reloading and just shoot everything up. Of course a couple of pounds of powder and box of primers are sitting on the bench so that doesn't really solve anything.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    50 cal ammo cans. If I want to know how many I have, I count empty primer boxes. I know I can fit 2k 9mm in a can with room left. The can is too heavy to be pleasant to carry to the range, so I normally keep it to 1k.

How can you look at this and not be satisfied?

View attachment 52315

FYI - I use an unscented version of this placed in little cloth bags as desiccant in the ammo cans, and other places. For about 15 dollars I can desiccant my whole world.

Those are too pretty to be handloads. Very nice if so though...

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    I keep 1000 rounds of all pistol rounds I load in the MTM boxes, the rest get stored loose. Rifle rounds are all kept in MTM boxes, none are stored loose.

superluckycat

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 23, 2016
    Madison
    Mine get dumped in a .30 cal ammo can. I don't keep large quantities on hand though. I'll load up a 1000 rounds of 9mm over the course of a week, shoot that up in about a month during the season, then repeat the process.

Top Bottom