• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tbald14

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2012
    Im trying to figure out the best course of action to store pasta. I know to get any time at all out of it i need to do something more then just the box. So the question is what is the best way to store pasta long term, Vacuum sealer, number 10 cans with O2 pack, mylar with O2?

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Im trying to figure out the best course of action to store pasta. I know to get any time at all out of it i need to do something more then just the box. So the question is what is the best way to store pasta long term, Vacuum sealer, number 10 cans with O2 pack, mylar with O2?

Sam's Club sells a lot of their pasta in 6 lb boxes, individually sealed in 1 lb sealed bags.

MrBBQ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    This is a good question... I was told a while back that freezing it for a while will kill the bad stuff lurking in the box, and then it will last much longer. Any idea if this is true? Sounded a bit too easy to me.

parsimonious

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    SE IN
    One can freeze pasta short term. I wouldn't freeze it for longer than a year.

Freezing just keeps the bugs out, and keeps any eggs that are in the
    package from hatching. I have pretty much realized that any cereal product
    one buys comes with bugs. Long term storage is hard.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Pasta by its very nature is not a long term storage food item. We've kept pasta in small plastic containers that have good sealing lids for a few months but the enemy of any cereal type product is moisture, do what you can to minimize that is the best you can hope for, but get it too dry and it crumbles apart, too humid and it can mold.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I can't help on the long term storage.
    But, if you have bugs in it, they will float when you boil it, and you can scoop them.
    Sounds discusting, but that's the way it was on my Sub.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I've stored the pasta in the store packaging for 2+ years and never once had any sort of problem with quality degrading or insect infestation. I have approximately 50 lbs of pasta stored right now. I buy it when it's less than $.50/lb and stock it deep. I'm still working on the last of the spaghetti noodles I bought in 2010. No problems with them. No bugs, no discoloring, no bad tastes or textures.

Worst case scenario there is always this:
    I can't help on the long term storage.
    But, if you have bugs in it, they will float when you boil it, and you can scoop them.
    Sounds discusting, but that's the way it was on my Sub.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    I've stored the pasta in the store packaging for 2+ years and never once had any sort of problem with quality degrading or insect infestation. I have approximately 50 lbs of pasta stored right now. I buy it when it's less than $.50/lb and stock it deep. I'm still working on the last of the spaghetti noodles I bought in 2010. No problems with them. No bugs, no discoloring, no bad tastes or textures.

You have it right...about 2 years in a cool dry place just rotate it, for long term you can buy noodles in #10 cans, more expensive but has an 8-10 year shelf life.

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI

Yeah I was just looking at ours after reading this thread and most of it has a 2 yr "Best by Date" on it.

FWShooter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Normally throw it in mylar with O2 absorbers.

Pokey pasta like spaghetti best to get the 7-8 mil bags because they are more poke resistant.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    One can freeze pasta short term. I wouldn't freeze it for longer than a year.

Freezing just keeps the bugs out, and keeps any eggs that are in the
    package from hatching. I have pretty much realized that any cereal product
    one buys comes with bugs. Long term storage is hard.

We've been eating some that's been in the freezer since 2009. It's not topnotch but it's plenty good enough to eat even when there's other things to be had.
    That's the only way I know to keep the bugs from running rampant.
    My Grandparents and Parents all told me that during the depression and WWII they considered the bugs to be something else to eat.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Provided that it is aerobic, as opposed to anaerobic organisms.
    Most anaerobic bacteria I know of require moisture to thrive. That is one thing pasta should not have in it if it's in storage. But definitely a good point; removing oxygen isn't always a good thing for LTS of food stuff.

FWShooter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Can't you just vacuum bag it with a foodsaver? With no air in the bag you shouldn't have any bacteria to decay the pasta.

Foodsaver expect 3-5 years max.

Mylar/O2 easily 30 years.

Depends on how long you want to store it.

We rotate a lot of our food so 3-5 years is more than acceptable however; I had bad luck with vacuum sealing in the past and prefer mylar/O2 since it is cheap.

Top Bottom