• ...and so much more!
  • Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    Hello everyone, I wanted fellow members input on if its safe to store a pistol in the safe in a hardcase that has no foam in it without fear of rust or corrosion?

I know cases with foam draw in and retain moisture but what are the circumstances when its just a hardcase such as the earlier Beretta blue hardcases or the infamous Glock tupperware box?

I ask because this is about convenience in my safe for storing a few more pistols that is limited on space as most my guns are in bore stores that take up the majority of my safe space. Thanks

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Hello everyone, I wanted fellow members input on if its safe to store a pistol in the safe in a hardcase that has no foam in it without fear of rust or corrosion?

I know cases with foam draw in and retain moisture but what are the circumstances when its just a hardcase such as the earlier Beretta blue hardcases or the infamous Glock tupperware box?

I ask because this is about convenience in my safe for storing a few more pistols that is limited on space as most my guns are in bore stores that take up the majority of my safe space. Thanks
    I've never had an issue with it for years.

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    I've never had an issue with it for years.
    May I ask what type of hardcase you're referring too as a reference?

The box I plan on using is the Beretta hardcase but I still cant help but worry if moisture can mess about even without the foam being present?

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    May I ask what type of hardcase you're referring too as a reference?

The box I plan on using is the Beretta hardcase but I still cant help but worry if moisture can mess about even without the foam being present?
    I've used factory boxes and aftermarket, with and without foam. Some for decades. I do wipe the guns down that are in foam boxes from time to time but mainly just to wipe down lube. Never had a moisture issue before or after I got a dehumidifier rod in the safe (when I justed used dessicant containers in the safe).

Most recently I have picked up some of these:

MTM 3-Pack in-Safe Storage Case Optimized Gun Safe Storage https://a.co/d/6qgwEN9

But really for use with those without a plastic factory box or those that the factory box is quite large.

If you have concerns wipe the guns down with something like this periodically

Silicone Gun And Reel Cloth https://a.co/d/hSeyzXX

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    I've used factory boxes and aftermarket, with and without foam. Some for decades. I do wipe the guns down that are in foam boxes from time to time but mainly just to wipe down lube. Never had a moisture issue before or after I got a dehumidifier rod in the safe (when I justed used dessicant containers in the safe).

MTM 3-Pack in-Safe Storage Case Optimized Gun Safe Storage https://a.co/d/6qgwEN9

But really for use with those without a plastic factory box or those that the factory box is quite large.

Thank you for the in depth reply, I also have a dehumidifier Goldenrod in my safe along with a Damprid.

My other guns have been left untouched for a little over a year now for the most part in their bore stores and look the same as ever. The Bore store gun pouch I have to admit has spoiled me on gun care with the accumulated collection as of late.

I also use the Hoppe's silicon cloths for wipe downs but rust is still a fear I have.

Whats the humidity in your safe?

I'm not really sure....I would like to know myself but I don't have a gauge to tell.

I do have a DampRid on the floor of my safe that I use the crystals in it to guess the moisture level. For the past month the crystals have remained the same since I first put the Damprid in the safe so I assume the Goldenrod is doing it's job well.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Thank you for the in depth reply, I also have a dehumidifier Goldenrod in my safe along with a Damprid.

My other guns have been left untouched for a little over a year now for the most part in their bore stores and look the same as ever. The Bore store gun pouch I have to admit has spoiled me on gun care with the accumulated collection as of late.

I also use the Hoppe's silicon cloths for wipe downs but rust is still a fear I have.

I'm not really sure....I would like to know myself but I don't have a gauge to tell.

I do have a DampRid on the floor of my safe that I use the crystals in it to guess the moisture level. For the past month the crystals have remained the same since I first put the Damprid in the safe so I assume the Goldenrod is doing it's job well.
    I have a few vaults in a unHVAC shop. I use the largest Goldenrod that will fit across the floor in the front of the safe. And this summer I bought a few "Peet" safe dehumidifiers and put one in the back corner of each. I can easily keep those vaults 9 to 12° degrees warmer than the rooms they are in and I've never checked them where the moisture was over 37%

The last clock, temp, moisture I bought was from Family Dollar and they were behind the counter for 10.00 bucks a piece. Either battery or a USB phone charger works.
    20240115_024546.jpg

I'm not a fan of damprid or any product that keeps retained water that is also a corrosive in a safe or vault. It's main chemical is Calcium Chloride. But that's me, you do you.
    I would first suggest you find out what temp/moisture of what your vault room is and the same inside of your vault.
    I also run a dehumidifier a few hours a day. Please post what you find if you go this path.
    We had a pretty good thread last year? Over safe heaters and all this. Maybe you can find it in our search box.

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    I have a few vaults in a unHVAC shop. I use the largest Goldenrod that will fit across the floor in the front of the safe. And this summer I bought a few "Peet" safe dehumidifiers and put one in the back corner of each. I can easily keep those vaults 9 to 12° degrees warmer than the rooms they are in and I've never checked them where the moisture was over 37%

The last clock, temp, moisture I bought was from Family Dollar and they were behind the counter for 10.00 bucks a piece. Either battery or a USB phone charger works.
    View attachment 325918

I'm not a fan of damprid or any product that keeps retained water that is also a corrosive in a safe or vault. It's main chemical is Calcium Chloride. But that's me, you do you.
    I would first suggest you find out what temp/moisture of what your vault room is and the same inside of your vault.
    I also run a dehumidifier a few hours a day. Please post what you find if you go this path.
    We had a pretty good thread last year? Over safe heaters and all this. Maybe you can find it in our search box.
    Hello I wasn't aware of Damprid acting as a corrosive agent when moisture had been absorbed into it.

Does it act in that manner before any water has been absorbed? Mine still has all the crystals intact.

Bugzilla

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte

Mild case of rustophobia?

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    I switched from a Goldenrod to a Peet Safe Heater a few years ago as the Peets put out quite a bit more heat.

My understanding is, as long as the temp and humidity in the safe is warmer and dryer than the rest of the room its in, you're good.

I have a few of these, one sending unit is in the safe and another is outside.

Zero issues with them after two years.

To the OP, why the storage bins? Just to be able to store more in your safe? Mine are all in their, standing upside down on the sights to keep oil off the carpeted shelves.

I just pulled them all out last week to look them over and put a light coat of oil on them. They all looked good and didn't really need a new oil film on them...

JTKelly

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Just how is it that you KNOW that?

JTKelly

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

I'll save the silicone packets from pill bottles or where ever else and toss a couple in the box with anything I keep in a box or case.

Reactions: Mij

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I switched from a Goldenrod to a Peet Safe Heater a few years ago as the Peets put out quite a bit more heat.

My understanding is, as long as the temp and humidity in the safe is warmer and dryer than the rest of the room its in, you're good.

I have a few of these, one sending unit is in the safe and another is outside.

Zero issues with them after two years.

To the OP, why the storage bins? Just to be able to store more in your safe? Mine are all in their, standing upside down on the sights to keep oil off the carpeted shelves.

I just pulled them all out last week to look them over and put a light coat of oil on them. They all looked good and didn't really need a new oil film on them...
    After that thread last year or whenever it was I ordered two Peets. I'm not sure if they are better or the same as a Goldenrod, but I believe if sized correctly they both will work just fine.
    I'm certain that when in a non HVAC building its harder to keep a big vault warmer than say inside of a building that keeps a constant temperature.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Hello I wasn't aware of Damprid acting as a corrosive agent when moisture had been absorbed into it.

Does it act in that manner before any water has been absorbed? Mine still has all the crystals intact.
    Well, read what it is. Calcium Chloride is a corrosive. Myself, I don't want a bowl of corrosive in the metal box with inexpensive firearms much less expensive one.
    Its so easy just to put an electric one in your safe.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    After that thread last year or whenever it was I ordered two Peets. I'm not sure if they are better or the same as a Goldenrod, but I believe if sized correctly they both will work just fine.
    I'm certain that when in a non HVAC building its harder to keep a big vault warmer than say inside of a building that keeps a constant temperature.

The Peets keep it about 3-5° warmer than a Goldenrod. In a non heated building...damn. You're fighting a loosing battle!

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    Just how is it that you KNOW that?
    I'm sure he is referring to the many internet stories of people who had left firearms in foam or fuzzy lined cases and came back to them with rust on them. Justly or not, the blame has been put on the case, but no consideration of how the gun was maintained before storing. Did they just come back from duck hunting and slid it in the case cold w/o any maintenance? Or did they bench strip it and cleaned and lubed each part prior to storing? It is very seldom that a person will blame themselves for a rusted gun, but rather search for anything to blame. In other words, correlation doesn't equal causation.

--Rick

VinceU1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Indy
    I've used these: Silicone Pistol Sock along with the rifle version: Silicone Rifle Sock for 30 or 40 years and haven't had a complaint the whole time. Never had any rust, scratches, just ready to go firearms.
    Put the pistol in the sock, put the sock in the case and don't worry about scratches or rust or fingerprints. And yes I have a heater in my safe.

Reactions: Leo

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    The Peets keep it about 3-5° warmer than a Goldenrod. In a non heated building...damn. You're fighting a loosing battle!
    Well, that's not really what I found after a few months of testing. I would go with most that buy goldenrods buy a unit that's smaller than they need. With Peet, you don't have any choice on what size to buy.
    When we were in a large vault last night, the shop was at 41 degrees, inside of of that vault was 49 degrees. That vault has a 36" Marine Goldenrod and a Peet in it. I really don't have a loosing battle.

Top Bottom