• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    Up until today, I usually only reloaded 100 or so rounds at a time and shot them up. I've amassed quite a bit of brass and started pumping out more rounds today. I ran a little over 1400 rounds today and now have to figure out how to store them. Is there an ammo can that .223's stack nicely in? I think with what I have, I'll end up about 10K rounds of .223 unless I get more brass. I know that not a lot for some of you but it is for me at this point.

Matt

Rocket

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Whiteland
    Not really. Unless you want to put them on stripper clips and then put In A 30cal can. Just chuck them in. So long as they are sealed up you should be good. I think you can get 1300 or so .223 in a 50cal can IIRC

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I use repackbox.com boxes. They are made from nice card stock material. 30 rounds per box will fill a 30 round mag. I then load them in a sealed ammo can

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Not really. Unless you want to put them on stripper clips and then put In A 30cal can. Just chuck them in. So long as they are sealed up you should be good. I think you can get 1300 or so .223 in a 50cal can IIRC

Closer to 5,000. Loose with no stripper clips. I keep my 50 caliber cans to about 3,000.

baba

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I use the big plastic snack mix containers. Like the costco sized peanut butter pretzel ones, or pub mix. Work great for 9mm, are pretty dang heavy full of 45s. Not sure how they'd work for 223.

-Brian

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    I'm a cheap SOB. I just re-use 42oz oatmeal "tubes". If I remember right, about 500 .45ACP or 900 9mm has them about bursting.

I also use them for separating/storing brass.

I eat a lot of oatmeal. A picture of my "oatmeal horde" would be funny, but I ain't got one.

Karl

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I just store mine loose in bullet boxes... The 500 count pistol bullet boxes work well. I usually put 250 rounds of 9mm, 200 rounds of .45, 150 rounds of 223, etc in them. Easy to know about how many I'm grabbing when I head to the range. eg If I have a 300-round pistol match, grab two full boxes and away I go. I will put some 223 on strippers so at matches I spend less time stuffing mags. Piece of masking tape on top of the box tells me load data.

All of it in one box or ammo can is too heavy and seldom am I going any where that I'll need several k. a couple hundred per box is more managable, stackable, countable, etc.. oh, and they don't cost anything, and if they start to fall apart, I'm always getting new bullet boxes...

I'm currently loading for '15. I'll have about 6k 9mm, 2k .40, 2k 223, and a few hundred .45 and supers ready to go.

My 9mm (6500 rounds) for '14:

ammo.jpg

-rvb

Last edited:

BIGE7.62

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 98.5%
    65   1   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    The Hills of Brown
    I use the plastic storage containers from Walley World or the Dollar store . There about 4x6x2 or the one's pre -packaged lunch meat come in .
    They both work well, and you can stack em

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    This is sort of on topic I guess since there is a lot of talk about ammo cans. Have any of you tried the underwater test with your plastic cans. The two different ones I had both leaked. One was an MTM and the I can't recall wha6t the other one was. I won't use them for long term storage. I tested several of the metal military cans and none of them leaked after submersion for a week. I first discovered that the military cans did not leak after we had a flood that filled my detached garage with 2 feet of water. I forgot that I had a couple of .30 cal. cans full of 9mm under a desk and didn't remember until I found them while cleaning up after the water had receded. They were dry as a bone. If it wasn't for the flood who knows when I would have found them. Stick with the military cans with good O-rings and your ammo should stay good for long time.

BIGE7.62

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 98.5%
    65   1   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    The Hills of Brown
    You can also use stripper clips and a vacuum sealer or just seal them loose in 30 rd packs .
    I have pistol /rifle mags loaded and vacuum sealed in my bug out bag

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Menards has the MTM Zombie 50 Cal ammo cans on sale for $9.99. I picked up another eight of them on Friday while they still had the 11% off sale.

Those sound interesting.And at a great price. No Menards where I live. Any chance of a a trade for some brass?????PM if interested and we can work out shipping, etc

EDIT: OK.Just Google-fued. I see a lot of place have them. I will try Wally and defaUlt to Amazon. .....

Top Bottom