Storm Lake barrel for G21 chamber to tight.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgtonory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 10, 2012
    Carmel
    Picked up a Storm Lake G21 barrel and i'm shooting 230gLRN and the fit between the round and chamber is sometimes to tight for the slide to close. Is there a easy way for me to make the chamber larger or do i need a gunsmith to do this. If i need a gunsmith anyone know of a good one around Hamilton CO?

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Picked up a Storm Lake G21 barrel and i'm shooting 230gLRN and the fit between the round and chamber is sometimes to tight for the slide to close. Is there a easy way for me to make the chamber larger or do i need a gunsmith to do this. If i need a gunsmith anyone know of a good one around Hamilton CO?

Are these your reloads, or someone else's?? Sometimes the ogive (diameter) is longer/ larger than FMJ.
    If you have the access, seat the bullet in slightly (Just a few thou.), and they probably will be OK. Do NOT cut on the barrel...Bill.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Klunk Test..

Since you reload, you know the drill--Drop Factory Load in bare barrel, tweak your loads until the same "Klunk" sound is heard.

I came across the same thing when I started loading some 125gr. MBC "Small Ball" for my 9MM..Especially my CZ's. I had to BOTH seat deeper+crimp tighter to come up with those loads that would run in those..Bill.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Try a few..

With the load (Powder charge) that you are using, seat/crimp a dozen or so+then field strip+check for lead.

If your bullets are at least .452" diameter, you should be OK. If you are getting some lead, I would "Boost" up your powder charge .2-.3gr. to help on the gas seal.
    For ME, I have had a LOT more leading problems with too LOW of a charge, then too HI of a charge...Bill.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    It will be one of (3) things...

bb44 has already covered (2) that will be most likely the culprit.

A third thing that can cause what you speak of is the chamber on your new barrel is very likely tighter than your stock Glock barrel. When you resize, you only resize so far down, and if you have a slight bulge back toward the web, this also can prevent the slide from going into full battery, especially if the brass was initially shot through the looser Glock barrel.

gopurdue02

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 2, 2011
    to add to the other poster....glock's have un-supported chambers and the bottom of the cases are usually bulged. Wolff and storm lake barrels are built to much tighter tolerance and fully support the chamber and cannot accept bulged cases. You have two options: Uses the glock barrels or use a bulge buster to resize the bullet to work in any barrel. However, beware doing this also thins the brass and can be dangerous depending on the type of barrel you run it in. My advice is to to check each round by dropping it into a after-market barrel to see if it is a no-go or go if you want to use the after-market barrel

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    It will be one of (3) things...

bb44 has already covered (2) that will be most likely the culprit.

A third thing that can cause what you speak of is the chamber on your new barrel is very likely tighter than your stock Glock barrel. When you resize, you only resize so far down, and if you have a slight bulge back toward the web, this also can prevent the slide from going into full battery, especially if the brass was initially shot through the looser Glock barrel.

Right on Xtreme..Lee Bulge Buster Base Sizing Kit (380 Auto 40 S&W 45 ACP)
    ^^^This can be used, with a .45acp. Factory Crimp Die, to iron out the Glock Bulge..

to add to the other poster....glock's have un-supported chambers and the bottom of the cases are usually bulged. Wolff and storm lake barrels are built to much tighter tolerance and fully support the chamber and cannot accept bulged cases. You have two options: Uses the glock barrels or use a bulge buster to resize the bullet to work in any barrel. However, beware doing this also thins the brass and can be dangerous depending on the type of barrel you run it in. My advice is to to check each round by dropping it into a after-market barrel to see if it is a no-go or go if you want to use the after-market barrel

Right on goPU.. Not as common as on the .40 S&W due to the .45acp. being a low pressure load, but it does happen--Especially with thinner brass...Bill.

sgtonory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 10, 2012
    Carmel
    I took some black marker and put it on a loaded case to see where i was getting the friction. It is to tight where the bullet is set in the case. Tigher crimp dose nothing. Looks like the brass is a tad thicker than others and is the issue. Again is there any way i can make the chamber just a tad bigger like .005 or so? Thanks for all the replys. Edit All loaded cases are snug to fully chamber. Not just a few

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Polish??

sgt. It will not hurt to polish the chamber.

Take a #2 wood pencil, cut to about 2" long, split with a knife, or small saw, fold in 800 grit sandpaper install in a drill+polish up the chamber.--It MAY help.
    Does all of the defective loads have the same head stamp?? If so, use them only in the G-21 barrel...Bill.

PS:THANKS for the Rep..

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I guess it's possible you got a hold of a barrel out of spec... I would still be hesitant to have it opened up until you are 100% sure it's not something you are doing and the chamber is, in fact, out of spec.

I know some more expensive barrels are purposely " short chambered " , thus requiring some smithing... I know this because I made the mistake buying a couple of KKM barrels for Glocks. I know the Lone Wolf barrels are NOT this way and have never heard the Storm Lake required this either.

Out of curiosity, what dies are you using and what diameter are your boolits ? Does factory ammo show the same issue ?

sgtonory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 10, 2012
    Carmel
    I guess it's possible you got a hold of a barrel out of spec... I would still be hesitant to have it opened up until you are 100% sure it's not something you are doing and the chamber is, in fact, out of spec.

I know some more expensive barrels are purposely " short chambered " , thus requiring some smithing... I know this because I made the mistake buying a couple of KKM barrels for Glocks. I know the Lone Wolf barrels are NOT this way and have never heard the Storm Lake required this either.

Out of curiosity, what dies are you using and what diameter are your boolits ? Does factory ammo show the same issue ?

Lee 4 die carbide set. Non cast bullets fit fine. Most of the lead bullets fit but its snug. Snug on all headstamps. Bullet are Vance bullets sized .452

sgtonory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 10, 2012
    Carmel
    sgt. It will not hurt to polish the chamber.

Take a #2 wood pencil, cut to about 2" long, split with a knife, or small saw, fold in 800 grit sandpaper install in a drill+polish up the chamber.--It MAY help.
    Does all of the defective loads have the same head stamp?? If so, use them only in the G-21 barrel...Bill.

PS:THANKS for the Rep..

I will try this. I noticed when i shot out of my factory G21 barrel my accuracy was very poor past 7yrds. But with the storm lake i was able to hit a 2liter at 50 yards. Feels like im shooting a different gun with new barrel. If i can just get it to work 100% of the time.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Lee 4 die carbide set. Non cast bullets fit fine. Most of the lead bullets fit but its snug. Snug on all headstamps. Bullet are Vance bullets sized .452

So, the witness marks show up at the case mouth end and not on the bullet ogive itself... It still sounds like you're needing a little more crimp...

Are you measuring the crimp right at the end of the case mouth ?

Also, being your using cast boolits, be careful with that 4th die.... The FCD has that secondary carbide sizer ring in it that can size your bullet down. The thicker your brass, the greater the chance of it.... I am only warning you of this because you mentioned earlier of worrying about leading.

One more thing you might check.... Do these same troublesome rounds fall right into the factory barrel properly with ease ?

sgtonory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 10, 2012
    Carmel
    So, the witness marks show up at the case mouth end and not on the bullet ogive itself... It still sounds like you're needing a little more crimp...

Are you measuring the crimp right at the end of the case mouth ?

Also, being your using cast boolits, be careful with that 4th die.... The FCD has that secondary carbide sizer ring in it that can size your bullet down. The thicker your brass, the greater the chance of it.... I am only warning you of this because you mentioned earlier of worrying about leading.

One more thing you might check.... Do these same troublesome rounds fall right into the factory barrel properly with ease ?

Yes i the troubled rounds fall in factory barrel just fine with room to spare. I crimed tighter and got 49 out of 50 to shoot today. I just polished the chamber a bit with 2k grit sandpaper seems to help a little. No leading of barrel after 50 rounds with 5g of unique powder and great accuracy. Thank again for the help.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GlockFrenzy
    Top Bottom