• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Terrance Johns I would like to introduce you to Doctor Samuel Torres, Mr. Brent Studler and Ms. Diana Grisom, Thomas named and gestured to each individual, as he did Terrance shook their hand. Thomas noticed the exchange between Terrance and Diana lasted a few seconds more than the men.

Terrance enamored by the small frame woman of oriental decent realized he was googling shaking her hand still, longer than a normal hello, nice to meet you cordial shake. Nice to meet you Mr. Johns she replied, very nice to meet you. We have heard plenty about you.

Oh, Terrance looked at Thomas and blurted out. Like what? Turing his attention to the two men. Oh just that we are all like mined individuals and have a situation that will be mutual beneficial to all of us. Intrigued by the statement Terrance looked seriously at Thomas who quickly jumped into the conversation and diverting the subject to the shooting.

Terrance was a little perturbed and his friend Thomas Grant. He did not like Thomas speaking for him, as he did not represent his company any longer nor did he like the fact that Thomas may have been sharing personal information that Terrance really didn’t want shared. Terrance had become a very private person.

The group settled into do some zero checks at 100 yards, Thomas broke out a brand new Barrett M82A1 with a Night Force optic. Terrance just shook his head as he walked to the down range side of the pavilion and flipped the switch on the pole, a three beep alarm sounded and a red light in each of the range side of the pavilions lit up and started to spin.

Range cold he asked? As is customary in his world Terrance wanted to make eye contact with each shooter to confirm. Sometimes a shooter focused on his shooting with eyes and ears on wouldn’t notice the indicators.

After checking with all 4 individuals he remarked “setting 100 paper” meaning that he was going to set his paper targets on the back stop 100 yards and in essence was asking if anyone wanted him to hang theirs or go along. I’ll help Diana said as she stepped around her shooting table and pulled a target from her bag.

Doc? Thomas asked, Yeah sure could you hang mine he asked. Stud? Thomas looked at his other acquaintance, who glared back at him and replied with, no he was squared away he just wanted to ring some steel out past 400 when they were done with their zero checks.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    By the time Thomas was done asking the other two Terrance and Diana were about a quarter of the way down the range towards the 100 yard back stop. Thomas hurried his pace to catch up sensing that Terrance was snaking in on his territory with Ms. Diana.

Thomas interrupted their already ongoing chat by asking Terrance what do you bring to play with Mr. Johns he asked. Terrance meekly said I have my DD5 7.62 with a Viper 2.5-10 on it. About a third of what your Barrett set you back. They both grinned and knew it was all in good fun. Diana interjected, asking if she might get a chance to look it over, commenting she had wanted to buy a DD but hadn’t done so yet. Terrance agreed saying no problem, might even let you squeeze off a few rounds. The Pair smiled at one another and Thomas could tell there was something there that he hadn’t had with Diana.

Realizing he was out of the running he let it roll off and concentrated on the gathering of interesting people he had set up for today. They hung their targets and walked back to the pavilion. On the way back Terrence asked Thomas if he was going to break out the ranger before they stretched out the targets or were they going to have to plan on walking all day. I’ll go get it in a bit. I wanted to make the introductions first.

Once everyone was back under the pavilion Thomas walked over to the shed on the other side of the club house to get the ranger out to run out to the longer range back stops if someone wanted to put out paper. Terrance checked with everyone and then cleared the range warning lights and vocalized Eyes and Ears, Range is HOT, signifying that they should all have eye and ear protection on and shooting could commence.

Terrance went to the back of the truck to grab the doggie bag as he called it and motioned for Knotty to come and hide. He always felt like he should stick some cotton in her ears even though she would go hide in the club house the shooting always made her a little anxious.

As they walked up to the door a rather large boom came from the pavilion semi startling both of them. Knotty ran in the door and hid by the fireplace. He set her up with some kibble and a bowl of water. She just lay there as he walked back outside. She would push the door open when the buzzer when off that the range was cold, she knew what it meant and would be right by Terrance’s side when it was all clear.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    After staging the ranger at the end of the pavilion Thomas went to sighting in his big 50 cal Barrett. Between the crack and booms Terrance was able to sit and confirm his DD5 was still set for a 300 yard zero. A range he had always been used to since the he learned to shoot. After attending a training session put on by Travis Haley in Texas he came to realize that many people, civilians, just zero’d at a 100 yards because that was the longest range they could confirm. His training and experience taught him the least amount of hold over the better, Zero elevation, Hold for wind was his thinking.

Yeap, she is on he said to himself after the first 4 rounds. The cold bore was off, the following 3 were just a little more than 4 inches high, over the point of aim. About right for his setup. He always practiced with standard Mil Surplus 7.62 x 51 ammo and 5.56 in his AR-15 platforms. No sense getting used to fancy bullet ballistics when you knew if it went sideways the mil surplus would be way more plentiful.

Thomas walked over and asked Terrance if he would take alook and spot for him when he stretched out the Barrett. Sure, what yardage are you going to zero her at he asked. Thomas thought about it and replied with an I am not entirely sure yet. I am thinking 500 Yards but maybe 300.

Everyone had stopped shooting, either letting their rifles cool down or were ready to change over the range when Diana walked up to Terrance and asked to see his rifle. Thomas couldn’t help himself, he popped off in his normal chauvinistic way stating something to the effect that his rifle was bigger if she wanted to handle it. She gave him a smirk grin and said no thanks, this one looks plenty big enough for me she said.

Terrance stood up, cleared and checked the rifle for an empty chamber then handed the rifle to Diana. She pointed the muzzle down range and spied through the optic. Realizing it was all way to far away she pulled it down and adjusted the stock closer to get her sight picture correct.

Nice, she stated. I like how clear this optic is as she pulled the rifle back to an upright position she looked everything over. Thomas again spouted off and asked, so do you like what you see? To which she again smirked as she handed the rifle back to Terrance. It’s not as heavy as I thought it would be she commented. Just under 10 pounds with a full mag Terrance replied.

Can I shoot her Diana asked, sure Terrance replied, but lets set some targets and stretch her out. OK, she replied, Thomas, do you want to set any targets she asked?He replied eagerly with a why yes I would, thinking she was going to join him. She reached in to her bag and pulled out two targets, handed them to Thomas and asked with batting eyes, could you hang these for me at 400 and 600 yards?

Thomas fell right into that one. Realizing she wasn’t going was like pulling his inflated ego plug, he of course obliged but looked as though someone had taken his last cookie. Stud, you want to go paint some steel over? I grabbed some paint out of the shed. Sure Ulysses, I will help ya save your pride he said as he grabbed a water bottle out of his bag and walked over to the ranger. Thomas fired it up and away it went.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Realizing no one had checked with the Doc, who had gotten up and went into the club house Terrance walked over and flipped the warning switch on, so the buzzer went off and the lights came on. Thomas looked back and then raised both hands like whoops I forgot. It was something of a glitch many civilians had not following proper range etiquette and procedure.

About the time the couple walked to the end of the pavilion here came Knotty, tongue out, tail wagging at a full sprint to find Terrance. She about bowled them over as she slid to a stop at Terrance’s feet. Aww what a beautiful Shepard Diana said. Knotty, not sure about the stranger and sensing she was a female took a wide berth around the two of them then squeezed in between them at her masters side like she was taught. Looking up at him for acceptance he handed her a treat that he had retrieved from her bag earlier and stuck in his pocket, sit, she did, he gave her the treat and then pointed at the ranger speeding down therange and said, go get Tommy.. she looked at Diana for a second then took off in a blaze after the two men in the machine.

As Terrance went to open the door to the club house it burst open, Doc was mumbling under his breath looking at his phone.
    God damn office can’t leave for a day without them calling about some bull crap he vocalized as he realized he had better stop walking or he would run into the Terrance and Diana.

Oh sorry, he said, I can’t ever get any peace it seems. It is always something, my office, the hospital, a co-worker asking my advice, something. No worries Terrance said, just need to hit the head. Diana took Terrance’s arm and guided him around the Doc, showing him that the Doc always felt like everyone should move out of his way, that he thought he was more important than others, mainly because in his everyday life he was top dog. Terrance didn’t seem to mind the abrupt change in direction since such a beautiful woman was pulling him out of the mans way. Excuse us Doctor, I need to use the facilities. He half giggled as he said facilities. It had been the head since boot.

That’s alright the doctor replied still staring at his phone and not paying attention to where he was going. Oh by the way Doctor, Terrance reached out and touched the man on the arm as he passed. The range is cold sir. We have two men and my dog down range. Alright, fine, Doc replied and still not making eye contact walked away.

As Terrance held the door he motioned with his hand and jokingly stated, Ladies first, well thank you kind sir, do you happen to know where a lady could powder her nose? Terrance continuing to play along said well golly mam, I think the ladies room is just over there behind the table, pointing towards the unisex bathroom everyone shared in the corner of the room by the kitchen door.

Why thank you, I won’t be but just a minute. Take your time mam, no hurry. They both giggled as they separated and Diana went into the bathroom. She shut the door but Terrance didn’t hear it lock. Something he always noticed, some people locked the door out of habit, some out of security or didn’t out of trust.

Terrance wasn’t sure what it was about this woman but he was finding himself feeling as giddy as a school boy, something he hadn’t felt in avery long time. Reaching into his pocket Terrance pulled out his phone to check it. Message from Alia. It read, Hope you are having fun today Daddy, I wish I could have come. I wanted to get some work done today so Iwouldn’t have to cram tomorrow. His reply stated he was doing ok, met some new people, study hard, ttyl, love you sweetie and once it was confirmed sent he put the phone away just as Diana came out of the bathroom.

My word, did you stand guard for me sir, why yes I did mam, in case there was an issue. Oh well thank you, the room is yours she motioned towards the door and he nodded as if he was tipping his hat.

After washing up he exited the restroom to find Diana reading over the bulletin board by the outside door, Terrance walked up next to her and asked if she shot often, he hadn’t seen her out here before. She said no, she didn’t get as many chances as she had liked and they walked outside.

Terrance continued with small talk questions as they walked out to the pavilion. Here come Knotty running. Excuse me a moment Diana, he said and walked back over to the door and help it partially open. He whistled and Knotty who had stopped to check out Doc came a jogging over panting and acting all tired. In ya go girl he motioned, get ya a drink and lay down.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    As he walked back over to the tables Brent Studler was standing near his table, Terrance, was it? he asked, Yes, Mr Studler was it? They both kind of smiled, Brent continued, that can’t be all you brought to shoot today is it? He shook his head in a circle signifying to Thomas spoke up and explained, no, that is his yes, no, I can neither confirm nor deny head shake. They laughed and headed to their respective tables.

Terrance didn’t like nosey people and as soon as he noticed everyone smiling he popped off, I generally don’t share the range with so many new faces at the same time. Forgive me, I don’t mean to be rude but I don’t know you folks other than Thomas and frankly without getting to know you I would normally just keep things quiet. I am not sure what Thomas has told you about me but I pride myself on being a private and mostly keep to myself person.

Diana returned fire from the other end of the pavilion by stating, some offence taken, and laughed. Brent then walked up to Terrance, hand extended and as they shook hands said I can understand and appreciate the honesty. But Thomas has introduced us all as a favor to us and hopefully we are able to do some business with your firm.

Immediately Terrance felt like a rude ass. He may have just botched a business deal for Thomas and or himself. My apologies to you all. I am just not used to having a business meeting at a shooting range. Thomas stepped up and in a serious tone. Normally business doesn’t require a shroud of secrecy. Now Terrance was intrigued as to what was going on.

Would someone mind filling me in then so I don’t further embarrassmyself Terrance asked looking at Thomas with a dagger stare, he didn’t like being setup like this and Thomas would hear about it in private later.

Doctor Torres stepped over and began to explain. In rough detail. They were members of a group. The group is interested in a hanger, to beput in a remote location just outside the city, where few people know about it and the firm and contractors and such need to be trusted. Thomas has told us that you work with different government agencies and from what our checks can confirm are exactly who we want to do the work. If all went well with the one here, then another was to be built at a remote location in Montana.

Terrance stood there with a dumb founded look on his face. Thomas walked over and patted him on the shoulder and said, it’s all good bro, we they just wanted to meet you. I told them you have done plenty of next level stuff for uncle Sam.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    They all shook hands and the conversation went back to shooting with the Doctor explaining that after they were done we could talk more about the situation over some dinner asking Terrance if he was busy. He shrugged and said no saying he would make time for the meeting, explaining he couldn't go very long because he had Knotty with him.

Oh, well maybe tomorrow afternoon would be better the Doctor asked, a
    fter church? Terrance replied yes that might be better. Depending on the location a time can be set to allow everyone to make it there after church. Thomas said he could text Terrance him a time and address, later, once we all get things straight.

The remainder of the days shooting was done by mostly everyone but Terrance.
    He worked with Thomas to get the Barrett sighted in and with only a few rounds left they were able to get Thomas to ring the 24 inch AR500 steel gong at 1,000 yards. It only took him 15 tries but he got it.

The rifle was nice but Thomas said it kicked like a mule while rubbing his shoulder. He complained a little as they were putting everything up. Terrance remarked that he would strip the back stops clean and paint the steel before putting the ranger away. Diana offered to help since she had quit shooting early having rang the 1,000 yard gong only after 4 attempts with her custom Remington 700 in 338 Lapua.

She had been shooting hand loads checking a couple of recipes eventually finding the one the barrel liked the best for that far of a distance. A hot round, as it turned out. She was sympathizing with Thomas rubbing her shoulder.

While cleaning off the back stops and painting over the marked up steel Diana had mentioned that maybe they could meet before the group meeting if Terrance wanted her to explain a little more about the situation. Terrance eluded to the fact that he didn’t go to church much anymore and evidently neither did Diana.

So brunch she offered?
    He said yeah sure, where and when. She said I will text you an address and time after I figure it out. Terrance was dumbfounded, he hadn’t given her his number, then he thought maybe Thomas had, which infuriated him, he really didn’t like it when someone gave his private cell phone number out without asking him first.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    As Terrance backed the ranger into the shed he asked her, “How did you get my number?”She said “A woman has her ways?”She could tell it was a serious issue with Terrance so she came clean as Terrance was shutting off the fuel and flipping the battery switch on the Ranger. Our group has ran a back ground on many contractors and it wasn’t until we spoke with Thomas, who one of our members knows professionally, that we decided to meet with you. “Oh, so you ran a back ground check on me?” Terrance asked as he hooked up the battery tender to the ranger. “Yeap, SOP for our group.” Diana relied.

This left Terrance with both an intrigued and uneasy feeling. He had been toyed with a fewtimes in his career, the CIA, NSA, a few other dark alphabet groups always like to let you know who was in control.

Terrance stopped as the door was bound shut, looked Diana in the eye and said, “Can I ask you a question”, she replied “well of course Mr. Johns.” Now things had gone almost completely formal and the flirtation and banter had all but disappeared really setting Terrance on the edge thinking he was being played and that she wasn’treally interested in getting to know him over brunch. “This group of yours” he started with, “yes?”she answered. “Its civilians?” he asked. She replied “For the most part. There are a few ex-military members but it is predominately civilians.”

“OK”, Terrance replied, “Send me the info, I will let you know about brunch” as he walked towards his truck. Diana shocked that he was just going to leave asked “Don’t you want to say goodbye to the others? To Thomas?” Then Terrence realized he still had Knotty’s stuff in the club house. “Yeah I better” he muttered, “Don’t want to complicate a business deal.” And walked into the clubhouse.

As he was picking up Knotty’s items and putting things back to the way they were found he thanked everyone, expressed he was both leery and curious as to the situation and that he would see them all tomorrow afternoon, not leading on that he had brunch plans with Diana . Then told Thomas he should text him the restaurant info for tomorrow afternoons meeting and then he left the club house.

Diana walked him out and expressed that there was nothing to worry about, it was all on the up and up but they were very particular about who they did business with and that it would all be explained in time.“Good afternoon Ms. Grisom” Terrance said as he shut the back of the truck. He let Knotty in and they took off.

How dare Thomas blind side him. He would ignore any calls from Thomas, thinking that he would most likely get one once everyone had gone their own way. It was a quiet ride home. Knotty curled up on the seat with her head on his thigh, she knew he was agitated.

Once home Terrance unloaded the truck, put everything away and decided to clean the rifle he shot. After putting it away and making a note in the ammo log he decided to just sit and listen to nature on the back porch. Knotty knew he was upset, she went out to go to the bathroom when he sat down and came directly back to his side and plopped down next to him and didn’t leave his side.

After watching the light fade from the sky and the colors turn from blue, to orange and pink he noticed his stomach rumbling. Terrance looked at Knotty and asked her if she was hungry. She jumped up and started wagging her tail. Looking at his watch it was past 7 PM.Terrance realized he had sat in his own thoughts for a couple of hours.

After feeding Knotty he decided to make a sandwich. Nothing fancy tonight, he didn’t have the energy. As he sat and ate his phone buzzed. He hadn’t paid attention to it since before he got home. He grabbed it and opened it to see that he had missed a call from Alia and she had text him to call her. He immediately hit the call button, she answered and he could hear the worry in her voice, his heart raced, "What’s the matter sweetie?” he asked, she explained that he never ignored her, she was worried about him, she knew he was shooting, hadn’t heard from him that he and home safe, suddenly he realized she now knew what it was like to be him when she had ignored him. He apologized and explained that he was outside, left his phone in the house.

She was relieved to find out that he was ok. He profusely apologized and told her he was ok. She accepted his apology and just asked him to not do that again. Love you Daddy” she stated, “Love you Sweetie, talk to you tomorrow” he replied and they hung up.

He noticed a couple other messages, one from Thomas, it confirmed a meeting at 2 PM and gave the address. There was also one from a strange number, he clicked the message indicator and it opened up to reveal the message. Hello Mr. Johns, Terrance, this is Ms. Grisom, Diana, I would like to get together tomorrow for brunch and personally apologize for the way we met. I found you interesting even having already known a few details about you. I would like the chance to make it up to you. If you are willing to forgive the intrusion, please meet me at My Brothers Diner on Vanburen at 10 AM.Then in another message there was a GPS dropped pin.

Terrance noticed the message was two hours old. He went ahead and replied, See you at 10. After locking up and checking thing she decided to take a shower and turn in early.

Top Bottom