• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zimm1001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    I know this is a strange request but it is related to firearms. This is especially aimed at anyone working in the steel mills in NWI or the Train Yards at the same.

My dad worked for the railroad for 43 years mostly out of the Burns Harbor Yards. Once in awhile he would bring home a can full of Iron Ore Pellets for my sling shot (they would spill out on the ground a lot). Iron Ore Pellets are what they put into the furnaces to make Iron and steel.

Anyway, I need about a can full of these Iron Ore Pellets for some scientific research (not my slingshot, lol). Can anyone get even a handful for me or know where I can get some? I would hate to buy a railroad car full for just a handful.

Also if there are any metallurgists out there (not sure I spelled that right, lol). I need weight and density information on the same iron ore pellets or general information on processed ore of that type. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

RabbleRouser

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    Mishawaka
    the iron ore pellets are the property of the persons or company that owns the mining rights to the mine they came from, taking those pellets and sending them to you would be considered stealing. its the modern day equivalent of claim jumping. the pellets are the raw material that is used to make the finished product of steel and the steel industry can be quite ruthless in prosecution.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    [ame=http://compare.ebay.com/like/260874296437?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&_lwgsi=y&cbt=y]*4 Cups Upper Peninsula Iron Ore Pellets (Taconite)* on eBay![/ame]

In case no one has any locally.

edit: that pic is a link to an eBay auction. Not sure why it displays like that......

Zimm1001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    the iron ore pellets are the property of the persons or company that owns the mining rights to the mine they came from, taking those pellets and sending them to you would be considered stealing. its the modern day equivalent of claim jumping. the pellets are the raw material that is used to make the finished product of steel and the steel industry can be quite ruthless in prosecution.

Ok. Not sure about that but to make it clear I am more than willing to pay for it. If that is in response to my dad the ones he brought home were from spillage on the ground and were not going anywhere but into the dirt.

I am not advocating anyone steal and send it to me. I am more than willing to pay for it.

Zimm1001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    I ordered it from Ebay. Thanks. I can always count on you guys for quick answers and solution. Feel kinda dumb though. EBAY never crossed my mind. Who woulda thunk! lol

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    This is the first time I've ever heard of ore"pellets"...In MN on the iron range they just blasted it, scooped it, hauled it and smelted it. It seems like a waste of time and resources to add this step.

From what I understand from working at a steel mill for only a few months, they use to ore pellets to add to melted scrap steel in order to achieve a certain certain grade of steel. The company i work for uses mostly scrap but we do have an ore mine in Minnesota. From what I understand the ore isnt used by itself to make "new" steel, just to make a higher quality than the scrap allows at times.

2500ekW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Zionsville
    If you are adventurous, they are all over the old US Steel South Works property in South Chicago. They've built a few public roads on the land and you could probably gather a lot by walking around near the roads.

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    I remember finding them when I was younger and we used to walk along railroad trucks hunting rabbits and pheasant. We would grab what we could for the slingshot. Used to have Crown Royal bags full

INyooper

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    North Central IN
    Grew up in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan in the middle of iron mining country. We used to use the pellets for sling shots and wrist rockets. Nearly every rail road right-of-way has more than you can shake a stick at.

My dad was a manager of several mines in the Marquette iron range and he'd take one of us kids to work on a Saturday now and then while we were growing up. The ore is crushed, impurities removed, treated, and pelletiized before shipping to any one of a number of steel mills.

Top Bottom